What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
08 1.4 Torque v engine rpm - plonker
Could someone advise where I could get the torque curve for the 1.4 dsi engine.
Many thanks.
08 1.4 Torque v engine rpm - jc2
Ford have a group called "Industrial Engines-also known as "Power Products" who can supply this info-I would expect Honda to have similar.
08 1.4 Torque v engine rpm - nortones2
There's more than you need here: asia.vtec.net/Engines/lseries/index.html The torque curve appears a fair way into the article!

The new iVtec is here asia.vtec.net/Engines/LSERIESG2/index.html :) Now the 1.5 version would make the Jazz more interesting....

Edited by nortones2 on 14/09/2009 at 10:45

08 1.4 Torque v engine rpm - Bill Payer
How about this. Not certain UK engine would be exactly the same state of tune.
www.honda.co.nz/site/technology/idsi.html
Thanks to jc2, nortones2 and Bill Payer for those very useful replies. I hope that I'm doing the sensible thing by buying a Jazz! It sure sounds a very complex engine.
I like the iDSi engine - feels quite "torquey". The engine isn't complicated - just has 2 spark plugs per cylinder.

We've had ours for 6 years (I was convinced it was 5 until the dealer pointed out my error, but the car doesn't feel old in any way) and have just agreed to p/x it for a new one. I think the switch to the VTEC engine in the new model is a needless complication - the typical Jazz owner is probably never going to exercise the car to the point where the VTEC system becomes useful.

I'm still not sure we've done the right thing changing ours. It's not the money but I think the old Jazz is so good in many ways - well engineered with little in the way of un-neccesary complexity. I don't what will prove the be the Jazz's weakpoint eventually but ours feels like it will run for ever. It just passed its 6yr MOT with no issues.

Edited by Bill Payer on 14/09/2009 at 13:52

Thanks for that Bill Payer, that's very reassuring. This will be my first Honda (pick it up on Wednesday, an ex-Honda '08) and, at 73, it'll probably be my last car! I hope we're as fortunate as you've been.
Regards.
08 1.4 Torque v engine rpm - sajid
Hey billpayer i was contemplating in part exchanging my current 03 jazz for the 1.4 ivtec jazz, inmo the old isdi is torquier and the real fuel economy is better than the new ivtec, if i wanna part exchange the jazz i rather wait till they release the hybrid version of it
08 1.4 Torque v engine rpm - Berisford
Same here, we looked at chopping our 2004 Jazz Auto but the new Jazz auto is not a nice car.

Ours passed its last MOT in July without any issues and like BillPayer says it still feels like a new 'un, even with 50000 on the clock.

I think we'll run it until it stops, something I've not done since I was a lad!

However, we parked alongside a new Honda 'Hybrid' last weekend, I must say it looked interesting.
>> I think we'll run it until it stops something I've not done since I was
a lad!

We probably should have done that. I was a little bit keen to change as I thought I detected a bit of gearbox noise (older Jazz manuals can have gearbox bearing issues) but even the cost of getting that fixed is probably only a few mths depreciation on the new one.

On a brighter note, the dealer rang today and it'll be ready on Thursday. Mrs BP (it's her car really) is pleased!
08 1.4 Torque v engine rpm - sajid
billpayer do let us know how the new jazz is compared to running the old one the economy and like and dislikes?

billpayer do let us know how the new jazz is compared to running the old
one the economy and like and dislikes?

Picked it up yesterday and went for a bit of a run this morning.

On the trip computer economy is about the same - just under 50MPG. Car is generally quieter although the EX model we have is maybe a bit noiser than others due to its glass roof - there's some kind of buffeting/disturbance going on which is noticeable but not too intrusive. The new engine is very quiet, although there is a bit of what sounds like induction roar on accelleration.

The EX comes with 16" wheels and 185/55R16 tyres - Dunlop SP2030's on ours. They seem pretty quiet but of course don't do much for the ride. It's not as bouncy as our old 2003 Jazz on 14" wheels but I think it's just suppressing the bumps a bit better, rather than absorbing them.

Interior trim quality (especially the plastics) isn't as good as the old model and the cupholders on either end of the dash make it more claustrophic than it needs to be.

The EX model is a bit bonkers - glass roof, climate control and cruise control are all un-neccesary. One of the nice things about the old Jazz was it was all pretty simple. And those low profile tyres scare me for around town use.