What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
New altea fuel consumption - 1066
i'm looking at an altea s spec with the 1.9 90hp engine.it's brand new and a good deal
ive been told that these engines aren't economical and 40 in town is very optimostic.
my friends i30 gets 46 around town and i was hoping for something very near to that mileage if possible.
New altea fuel consumption - maz64
i'm looking at an altea s spec with the 1.9 90hp engine.it's brand new

Seat website only has 105bhp 1.9 for the S spec - official figure for urban is 40.9, in case you didn't know.
40.9 doesnt sound to bad if its achievable.
the saleman said they were the new facelifted ones and seat made them until stocks of the 105hp came through.
i belive it's the same engine as fitted to many many vw's over the years and reviews say it's very reliable.
i dont know much about these engines as i beleive they are not normal common rail deisels but vag's own concoction
New altea fuel consumption - maz64
40.9 doesnt sound to bad if its achievable.
the saleman said they were the new facelifted ones and seat made them until stocks
of the 105hp came through.

The 40.9 is for the 105bhp engine, and is just the official urban figure - the salesman should have something that gives the 90bhp figure (brochure?). Had a quick google but couldn't find it, and it's not listed on VCACarFuelData (or HJ CBCB).
New altea fuel consumption - Avant
If it's any help I used to have a Mark IV Golf estate with the 1.9 TDI 115 bhp engine, and that gave 55 mpg on a long run and about 47 in town. The Altea's engine is similar - the older VAG 'pumpe duse' design rather than common rail.
hopefully i will be reliable.
90hp seemed enough for the job it needs to do which is running the children about to various clubs etc.
New altea fuel consumption - Another John H
Surely "around town" MPG figures are very variable, and generally poor for what I consider to be town driving.

I.E. more stop than stop-start.

And, is a new diesel (and all that entails, as discussed in many threads here and elsewhere) suitable for town work anyway??

Probably not.
i live 4 miles from chichester in the countryside and the oldest 2 get a bus to school in the morning and if they have clubs after school they need a lift home as the village has no bus route through it.
the youngest needs taking to school down 3 miles of dual carriage way and picking up again at the end of the day as no bus to the other village from ours.

we do a lot of running around and seeing places during the day when the children are at school and these roads are normally twisting small A roads , and my car usually gets about 32 mpg in the variable roads we use
New altea fuel consumption - Another John H
Perhaps I'm being a bit obtuse again.

Have a wade through these threads:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=74587

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=71550

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=68949