What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
02 1.8tdci not starting? - Felics
hi, my 52 reg ford focus 1.8tdci has stopped all of a sudden when i parked it up. i tried to start it again but the ignition does even turn over. all the electrics light up on the dash and the hazard lights work and also the power windows. i tried jump starteing it but it still didnt work. i dont know what would be wrong with it.
In addition i left it for around 6 hours and when i went back to tow it, i checked on last time and it started for some strange reason.
I was wondering what the fault could be?
Its been doin this now all the time. It starts sometimes and doesnt other times. But if i was to leave it for say 12 hours it would start in the morning.
Ive also had the battery changed so i know it cant be this
Can anyone help?

{header edited - no need to repeat make/model, year & engine info as the compulsory drop down boxes take care of that for you}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 03/09/2009 at 19:48

02 1.8tdci not starting? - Diamond
Was the car ok before you put the new battery in? Did you use a 'memory saver' to keep the ECU settings alive. This is what I did when I changed my battery last week. If you didn't did you take the car for a run so that the ECU could relearn its optimum settings. The manual does say that the car will run rough for the first few miles after the battery is disconnected, but I don't know whether this would cause a non-starting situation. Hope this helps.

Edited by Diamond on 03/09/2009 at 21:55

02 1.8tdci not starting? - Felics
the problem was there before i changed the battery. i actually got a new battery as i thought this was the problem initiall
02 1.8 not turning over or starting - ex-Triumph man
Have you checked the connections to the starter motor? Not familiar with Ford electrics myself, but there may be a sticking starter relay you could check?
02 1.8 not turning over or starting - Peter D
This could be an ignition switch problem. You need someone with a meter to chech it out. Regards Peter
02 1.8 not turning over or starting - clewsy01
I had exactly the same on my 1999 1.8 Focus. I had to replace my starter motor. If its the original motorcraft one it could be knackered. I got one from my local parts shop for 79.99 and they gave me a £10 discount for the old unit so they can recondiiton it.

You could try the 10mm and 13mm bolts on the starter motor to check that they are tight, not coroded and that there is no frayed wires. (disconnect the battery first) The starter motor is in a awkward place at the back of the enginge bay. You have to get underneath the vehicle to get to it and to remove it the bolts holding the motor also hold on some brackets for pipework etc so make sure that all is correct if refitting.

michael