What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Something for a trip around Europe? - wjh2
I am planning to drive around Europe some time next year. I would love to do it in my current MX-5 but in reality it is probably too small to carry two people and all their gear on such a trip.

What are the thoughts on a Merc 190E? I quite like the idea of cruising around in a 2.6 litre safe in the knowledge that nothing's going to fall off because it's ridiculously over engineered.

Can't be anything too ridiculous as I'm twenty-one and I don't like paying insurance companies too much money.

Budget not more than about £2,000 as I want to keep the Mazda! Any thoughts?

Many thanks, Will
Something for a trip around Europe? - rtj70
Does the £2000 include the insurance? Might be worth doing some fictitious quotes online to get an idea how much it might cost.
Hmmm, not neccesarily. Maybe say £2,500 with the insurance.

Realise that the 2.6 might, therefore be a tad pricey. Maybe 1.8/2.0 more in my range?!

Or another car entirely!
I'd get quotes on insurance before deciding on anything.

Or how about, a Euro rail ticket which might be cheaper and even more fun. Youngest flew to Munich this year and ended up via a ferry on Corfu. A cheap 6 weeks. (Helps because Munich has a big campsite which they used for a few days too).
A national search on Auto Trader shows 40 MB 190's. Starting around £400 for a high miler with a 1.8 engine. There's a 2.6 auto for about £950 with 121k miles.
No to interrailing - half of the fun for me is the car!

But do we think the MB is a reasonable option? I'm a great enthusiast of classic cars and it strikes me that with prices so low at the moment it might be a good time to pick up a car that will not only be depreciation-free but also very useable.

Something for a trip around Europe? - 659FBE
The M-B might be ridiculously over engineered but it's old. Many of its components which could cause you a breakdown are no better than those fitted to any other German car - alternator, hoses etc etc.

Get a more recent big diesel. I've just finished a European trip in my diesel Superb with 3 passengers. Comfortable, very roomy and astonishingly cheap to run. The badge and boat-like handling just don't matter for a job like this - it just wafts down the motorways at 130 kph and low engine speed with ease. For its price there's little to beat it.

Edited by 659FBE on 20/08/2009 at 19:54

I appreciate the idea of a diesel but - and I know this sounds silly - I'm not sure I could listen to diesel clatter for thousands of miles (unless it had more than four cylinders!).

The idea of a car like the Superb makes sense though (it's maybe a bit big for just two people, however). I had originally wanted to undertake this trip in a classic Mini but was advised (and eventually realised) that it would most likely drive me nuts.

All the same, I don't plan on sticking entirely to the motorways, I enjoy my driving very much - and therefore wouldn't mind something that feels a little bit special through the twisty bits!
If you could do it in a mini, then the MX-5 might work too. Especially with a rack on the boot for extra luggage. In fact the MX5 could be fun. Just pack light.

Edited by rtj70 on 20/08/2009 at 21:09

Something for a trip around Europe? - catsdad
once they are underway diesels don't clatter. A classic Mini will however make a din and be very uncomfortable. I write as someone who once went from Northern Scotland to Nothern Spain and back in two weeks in a 1000cc Mini. Not great on mountain passes either! A Pug 406 might suit - comfortable and well engined and cheap to repair en route?
Something for a trip around Europe? - alfatrike
as rtj70 says why not use the mx5. with a rack on the back and only two people you would be sorted. i take it your mx5 is a soft-top and would be lovely in europe. if you are worried about breakdowns why not get a recovery policy that includes parts. i think the AA do one which covers you for parts and labour for up to £500 each claim.
Something for a trip around Europe? - drbe
>>> - I'm not sure I could listen to diesel clatter for thousands of miles (unless
it had more than four cylinders!).

I think you may be out of date - unless of course, you have been riding in the wrong diesel!
Something for a trip around Europe? - sooty123
Try something with an XUD engine, I had a 405 estate did around 1400 miles in one day on only a couple of tank fulls mine had 187k on when I got rid of it. Plenty get past 250k lots of space and I honestly didn't think it was that noisy.

Edited by sooty123 on 21/08/2009 at 12:00

Something for a trip around Europe? - Bagpuss
A 190E 2.6 would be a nice way to travel around Europe. They have that feeling of specialness and invincibility that so characterised Mercs in the past. Smooth if very indirect steering and a very compliant ride by today's standards, plus that lovely old straight six engine. As pointed out though, they are now very old. The newest ones will have their 16th birthday behind them, so you will probably struggle to find a good one.

Avoid anything with big wheels and lowered suspension as it rogers the suspension bushes and stresses the bodyshell.

The 2.0 version is also ok bearing in mind that Merc four cylinder engines were never the most refined. If you do find a good one, it will be a much more enjoyable trip than if you spend the 2 grand on a Mondeo or something.
Something for a trip around Europe? - madf
I has a Mercedes 260E: a lovely smooth , quiet and powerful engine. The 4 speed auto was nice.

There was one for sale about 6 months ago for £3500.. waxoiled form new, 70k miles and immaculate.

But I reckon - and read the MB Owners Club - you could face big bills on an average condition one.. Steering, brakes, exhaust, hoses, radiator, all belts will be dodgy if original.

Keep £750 for fettling...and have Breakdown Cover.
A 190E 2.6 would be a nice way to travel around Europe. They have that
feeling of specialness and invincibility that so characterised Mercs in the past. Smooth if very
indirect steering and a very compliant ride by today's standards plus that lovely old straight
six engine.
If you do find a good one it will be a
much more enjoyable trip than if you spend the 2 grand on a Mondeo or
something.

My thoughts exactly - I want to do this in something a little bit special, as to me this trip is about the car as well as the sights.

Re: the diesel I have been riding in - a C-MAX 2.0 TDCi.

The 2.6 would be lovely but I've had a thought - is it going to be horrendous on fuel?

The 2.6 would be lovely but I've had a thought - is it going to be horrendous on fuel?

Yes. A big'ish (old) straight 6 petrol with an auto gearbox. I still think doing this in an MX-5 would be fun.

Edited by rtj70 on 21/08/2009 at 17:32

Something for a trip around Europe? - CGNorwich
What are the thoughts on a Merc 190E?

Bit of an old man's car for one so young.
Something for a trip around Europe? - Hector Brocklebank
An idea perhaps.........

tinyurl.com/lhulm4

Power and comfort in abundance.

or.................

tinyurl.com/ncq5d4

I must say I like the idea of a six-pot 190E, if you can get a nice late minter you'll be on to winner I fancy. The late L.J.K. Setright once stated it to be one of his favoutite cars and I'm not going to argue with his judgement.
Re: why not do it in the MX-5 - don't get me wrong, I love this car. But I'm really not sure it will be the right machine to pack full of camping gear and supplies for what will hopefully be a fairly sizeable trip. I want something that I won't mind getting filthy and that won't bother me too much if it gets scraped or bumped. The Mazda's a bit of a minter and maybe just a bit too precious.

Didn't know that about Setright - obviously the car must then be bought, the man was a legend!
Something for a trip around Europe? - barney100
Seems really interesting to me. If you are careful choosing the car you could even make a bit of cash selling it on after the trip! A good older one polished up after would tempt someone. A garage gave lent an old 2 litre estate which went really well but was unloved but you could a few hours work would have it looking good.