00 2.0 Head gasket or not? - F1ng3r5
Hi i bought a SRI 6 months ago and came with a bill for head gasket etc at 122,000. The car was sat doin nothing for 12 months and i bought it at 124,000

Its now done 127,000 and its started to back pressure in the coolant, so seeping out water out of the expansion tank and rock solid pipes.

The car runs spot on, no misfire or sluggishness, no vapour out of the exhaust, temperture is spot on as well.

Ive replaced the expansion cap as these do play up, but still doin the same.

Will this still be HG failure.

Will takin out the thermostat stop the back pressure from building upll i get time off work to replace the HG?

Im sure as hell not gonna pay a garage £600+ to replace it last time i done that i had a ruined engine as they never replaced the cambelt and it went ting 3 months later.

Any help would be much appreciated (",)
00 2.0 Head gasket or not? - mickyh7
These Engines are renowned for H/G problems. I had three go in 18 months.Sometimes even the blocks crack.Its not a hard DIY job but it is time, and it will probably happen again. Stay away from cheap Head Gaskets and get a skim,but in all fairness getting rid is a wise thought ! good Luck.
00 2.0 Head gasket or not? - SpamCan61 {P}
I've now taken 3 X20XEV engined Vauxhalls to reasonably high mileages ( roughly 167, 182 & 167 000 miles). In each case I bough them at around the 110K mark, the only one that suffered HGF was the 182K one, needed new gasket at 124K - funnily enough that was teh only one I bought with FSH!.
00 2.0 Head gasket or not? - SpamCan61 {P}
Perhaps more on topic I reckon the head wasn't skimmed when the gasket was changed.

From memory my head gasket change mentioned above cost just over 400 quid from a main dealer, certainly 600+ sounds high .

Edited by SpamCan61 {P} on 18/08/2009 at 14:33