What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Clutch and gearbox faults - Martin Devon
Whilst working away today busy building a Porch for a Mate I was approached by a neighbour. Nothing unusual there. Bit of small talk which soon got around to cars. I told him about my new small one and how it now suited me and he told me about his long one which now doesn't go. Well he was quite old. However, the true tale is of his 24k 3.5 yr old TDCi Mondy. Went in to local garage 'ere in north Devon for, he said, a worn clutch. They then reported a gearbox fault, couldn't select third or something and apparently it is now going to cost him £2,100.00 to sort. I nearly fell over in the mortar at this. I told him I would consult my very best friends on the net thing and report back on Thursday. The cost shocked me. How about yous?

Best reg's to all............MD
Clutch and gearbox faults - spikeyhead {p}
sounds to me like he's being ripped off, though I've never heard of a gearbox fault on a Mk II mondeo, it should be possible to do a complete rebuld for £500
Clutch and gearbox faults - Altea Ego
sounds like the infamous DMF problem.
Clutch and gearbox faults - Lud
My very thought AE, combined with what sounds a carp garage.
Clutch and gearbox faults - MikeTorque
Get a second opinion from another garage, £2,100 is cuckoo land.

What exactly happens when an attempt is made to select 3rd gear ?
Can other gears be selected or is it just 3rd ?
Is there any noise when to changing any gear ?
Can 3rd be selected directly from neutral ?

If it crunches when trying to get into 3rd then it's likely to be the synchromesh, in which case a new synchromesh for third would be required. Any decent garage would be able to do the job for a fraction of the price already quoted.
Clutch and gearbox faults - Alby Back
sounds like the infamous DMF problem.

Sshhh AE. "Betsy" doesn't know about things like that and she's far too old to be told now ! The shock might finish her off.....

;-)
Clutch and gearbox faults - bell boy
has neighbour considered welding up the dmf and fitting a recon $35 clutch plate?
just a thought
Clutch and gearbox faults - Lud
welding up the dmf

tee hee bb... is that what they do?

I've heard of solid replacement flywheels at a much more sensible price than a dmf, but I always thought melting was what made dmfs misbehave.

Mind you, it may be that dmfs are all right as long as you never let a clutch-slipping, racing-start by accident, slippery shoe-wearing devil's spawn of a moronic mimsing car-trashing psychopath like your wife or oldest friend lay a finger (or anyway a foot) on your car.

The jury's still out. But even when it comes back in, juries can't be trusted. Just ask a judge.
Clutch and gearbox faults - dieselfitter
>Mind you, it may be that dmfs are all right as long as you never let a clutch-slipping, racing-start by accident, slippery shoe-wearing devil's spawn of a moronic mimsing car-trashing psychopath like your wife or oldest friend lay a finger (or anyway a foot) on your car.

Excellent, Lud. Reading the OP, I couldn't help thinking what the heck do some people manage to do to clutches? I kept a MkIII Tdci for 6 years/112,000 miles, and used it to tow a caravan, with no clutch probs at all.
Clutch and gearbox faults - the swiss tony
Whilst working away today busy building a Porch for a Mate

Is it a 911?
;-)
>> Whilst working away today busy building a Porch for a Mate
Is it a 911?
;-)

I resisted posting that originally, but only just!!

Just as I thought he is being shafted, boom boom.

MD
Actually, what if it is the DMF because I remember him muttering something about a 'rubber' thing behind the gearbox? Would that price still be OTT? He is just an Old boy with no knowledge of cars whatsoever.

Regards, MD
Clutch and gearbox faults - kithmo
Sounds to me like they have taken the gearbox off to replace the clutch, then don't know how to re-adjust the gear linkage cables.
Clutch and gearbox faults - glowplug
Diesel fitter said -

Reading the OP, I couldn't help thinking what the heck do some people manage to do to clutches?

Some of the mature drivers I know rev the bolts off their cars when pulling away, sit at traffic lights slipping the clutch, etc. Maybe that doesn't help ;-)

Steve.
Clutch and gearbox faults - David Horn
Uh, if it went in there for a worn clutch and comes out unable to select gears, isn't it pretty obvious that the garage in question might have tweaked something while they were working on it?