What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Pictorial quiz, rust, grease and not bothered.... - oilrag
Well... If you would like to roll vicariously in a little grease and rust - here`s a little quiz ;-)

1)
Name the vehicle
Age of vehicle
www.oilrag.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/rusty1.jpg

2)
same again
www.oilrag.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/rusty3.jpg

3)
Don`t look at this if you don`t like grease.. ;-)

Cars two and three have had the same subframe treatment - how long before car three looks like car two? (apart from the brake lines)

www.oilrag.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/rusty2.jpg

Regards

(tyres degreased)

Edited by oilrag on 11/08/2009 at 20:40

Pictorial quiz, rust, grease and not bothered.... - Lud
Mmmmmm... grease.....

(lascivious Homer Simpson murmur)

... envy oilrag.... Mmmmmmm....
Pictorial quiz, rust, grease and not bothered.... - Doc
2&3 Nissan Micra?? (old shape)

Pictorial quiz, rust, grease and not bothered.... - Another John H
Well, I'm reasonably sure that 3 and 2 are Punto, but regarding the age or location, I couldn't begin to guess.

(unless it's his'n'hers at home).

The rusty chassied thing I don't recognise.
Pictorial quiz, rust, grease and not bothered.... - gordonbennet
With the rusty chassis, i'm torn between small pick up, possibly Japanese or maybe Transit/Bedford CF/Sherpa (or would that be the previous model) around 1977 vintage...location possibly a car boot sale or similar, might be the sort of vehicle used for.

Agree, they're both your Punto's, but i have a feeling you're pulling our leg's here, and pic 3 is the older car that you've given a good fresh grease up to thwart the enemy tin worm.
Pictorial quiz, rust, grease and not bothered.... - bell boy
not punto
but no idea
pictures poor to hide identity of cars
Pictorial quiz, rust, grease and not bothered.... - George Porge
First pic = L200?

2 / 3 no idea, but why grease the axle? and the part of the spring that's likely to break the top turn is bone dry :o/
Pictorial quiz, rust, grease and not bothered.... - Sofa Spud
I'm trying to think if any Land Rover models had an underslung spare tyre.....
Did the previous version of the Range Rover (P38 model) ?

Edited by Sofa Spud on 12/08/2009 at 01:02

Pictorial quiz, rust, grease and not bothered.... - oilrag
Pic 1)
No votes for the scrapyard then? as you know, I`m often roaming around there like a vulture looking for the odd eyeball or scrap of liver that might be recirculated..

That would have been the wrong answer.

This was a double cab 4x4 pickup (55 reg) and carefully parked in a distant corner of a car park - no doubt to avoid accidental damage.

I put my head underneath - and oh dear... words almost fail me.

The entire ladder chassis was a sea of rust and the nuts looked as though they were mild steel and had been suspended in the sea at Bridlington on a bit of string, these last 4 years. The nuts were so bad that they were actually starting to lose definition due to the severe rusting.
Then there was the body seams underneath and even the flat surfaces.

Contrasted against that was a gleaming upper body that someone seemed to have spent hours polishing and waxing the paint...

The Mk2 Puntos

Pic2
This had one coat of waterproof (Castrol CL grease) around 5 years ago (02 reg) and the subframe still shows evidence of its rustproofing qualities in it`s 8th year.

pic3
That`s the 55 reg Multijet Punto van - same age as the 4x4.
I greased that up when brand new - a couple of months short of 4 years ago. Now just done again, but not really required as I noticed too late... but once up on ramps and 3 pots of Castrol CL waterproof grease to hand...

I can`t help reflecting on that pickup - I`m sure that the chassis and in particular the nuts protection from rust is really substandard for vehicles deployed into countries with salted roads. To be in the state they were in after four winters - those nuts must have been virtually bare steel on the surface..
It looked as though the vehicle would be a scrapper in a few more years.

That said - best not to name it...