What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
02 1.3 Rear wiper blade problem - Errodiel
I've had this problem on my Ford Ka Style for a couple of years now, but enough's enough and I'd like to get it sorted before the bad weather sets in.

The problem is in the shape of the rear window and flexibility (or lack) of the rear wiper blade; when the wiper's switched on it's too inflexible to stay in contact with the whole of the (very domed) rear window and so ends ups only wiping an arc about 6 inches high at the top of the window.

This has happened with cheapo halfords blades, pricier branded blades, and the one fitted by the garage a couple of services ago - all marked as suitable for the Ka.

Does anyone have any tips? Is there anything I can adjust on the average wiper blade, or do I need to hunt down some kind of special, extra-flexible one? It'd be really nice to be able to see out my back window this winter!
02 1.3 Rear wiper blade problem - Kevin
Try an OEM wiper (the bit that holds the blade) and a new blade from a Ford dealer first.

If that doesn't fix it you'll probably need to change the wiper arm (with spring) as well.

My Chevy has a curved screen and is a bit fussy about the wiper design, particularly the spacing between the points where the wiper grips the blade. I have a stock of new blade rubbers that I fit to the OEM wipers whenever necessary.

Kevin...
02 1.3 Rear wiper blade problem - bell boy
yes its a major problem on the ka
ive spoken to nasa and even the PM on this one and they all agree its due to the spindle on the pivot for the wiper becoming seized and needing a drop of oil and or replacement if the spring has lost its tension
02 1.3 Rear wiper blade problem - henry k
I had same problem with MK I Focus.
Buying the same length wiper blade is not always the answer.
Bosch was far too stiff. IIRC Tecalamet was OK.
I would buy a Ford blade first and expect that to work.
02 1.3 Rear wiper blade problem - Wurzel83
I bought a Unipart blade for £4 of the correct length. Put it in a vice, used a screwdriver and pliers to remove the blade from the wiper and then inserted the new blade into the original wiper. It has been absolutaly fine.
02 1.3 Rear wiper blade problem - Errodiel
Thanks everyone! I had a good giggle at NASA and the PM getting involved...surely the masons should have a say too?!

So my list of things to try is:
- Official Ford wiper blade (or possibly tecalamet), new arm if that doesn't work.
- Oiling the exisiting wiper arm.
- Buy a cheap blade and massacre it til it works :D I might actually try this with the existing blade - it's had 6 months life so I won't be too irritated if I accidentally trash it.

Thanks all! :)