What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
03 1.4 digital dash display for temp showing false - mick19
I've got a Ford Fiesta 1.4 TDCi 53 plate. It has a digital dash display for temperature. The cooling fan works fine, Water level is ok.
Problem started about 6 months ago, temperature gauge would be on cool for the first mile in the morning than all of a sudden it starts flashing all its arrows and the red 'Engine high Temperature' red symbol on the dash next to the gauge comes on. This will last maybe another mile than just as suddenly the gauge goes back to normal showing a reading that is below half on the gauge. At first I kept checking to see if car was overheating, cooling fan, water level but all seemed normal. I assumed this was some quirk. The gauge would never go above normal temp for the rest of the journey no matter how long.

Today the gauge did all its flashing its digital arrows and red symbol came on. Instead of doing the usual they stayed on for the rest of the journey. I pulled over, cooling fan, water level all seemed normal and engine didn?t seem any hotter than usual. I cut the journey, had a picnic and waited for engine to cool. A few hours later on start up flashing gauge and red symbol came on straight away.
Clearly I am getting a false reading but need gauge as I do not want to blow head gasket or warp the head or worse.
Anyone else had this problem? Any help please would be much appreciated. Mick.

03 1.4 digital dash display for temp showing false - redviper
If levels and you can feel the temp is fine then i would place a bet on the water Temp Sender unit (Sensor) being faulty or in need of testing as your 1st port of call.

I would guess that this is somewhere near the radiator. Haynes manual would specify where.