What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Goodwood Breakfast Club - RobertyBob
Just got back from an excellent morning at the Goodwood circuit in West Sussex. We took the MX-5 down to the Goodwood Breakfast Club's 'Top Down Sunday'.

The whole of the paddock and large sections of the circuit were full of very desirable convertibles. More Ferraris than you could shake a stick at, Astons, Caterhams, Jags, Triumphs, MGs, you name it and it was there. Including MX-5s of course.

Aircraft too, the odd Tiger Moth to add colour.

Thoroughly enjoyable, no entry fee, no one trying to sell you anything; just stroll about in the sunshine, admire the cars and chat with the owners. The breakfast was good value too.

Worth a visit if you are near enough, even if your car doesn't fit the theme. Despite being called a club the fact is that anyone can just turn up.

The next event is on 30th August: Thoroughbred Sunday ? for the Quintessential Classic Car and Motorcycle?. Any pre-1966 road vehicle or aircraft in the spirit of Goodwood circuit?s golden days.

Details:-

tinyurl.com/lxbyz2

Goodwood Breakfast Club - Slightlyfatdirector
My wife and I went too. Great morning out. We had the XJ-S convertible on the grid at the front and were amazed at the variety of cars on show. Probably the best part of 5-700 I would guess (lots of MX5's!!!).

A number of Ferrari's (if fact so many they looked a bit common!) and even a brand new RR convertible (massive car).

Amazingly I met the owner of an identical XJS convertible to mine. Same year, colour, leather interior, rear seat conversion, twin headlights, etc. Had a good chat with the owners who were also stunned at the fact we seemed to have exactly the same cars.

The were still cars arriving late morning and we spent from 7.15 to 12 wondering about the exotica which seemed to change every hour or so. The outside car park had some rarities too. The Alfa 8C stood out for me. Will probably never

A great way to spend a sunday, and free too. The only things we bought were a couple of bacon rolls and a tractor ride round the circuit.

Recomended.
Did you see the purple Lamborgini Murcielago, registration AWE500M ?

It seemed to draw the largest number of people having their photos taken next to it. Wouldn't fancy paying for those tyres though, like dustbins laid on their sides.
Goodwood Breakfast Club - Lud
Do you really mean, RobertyBob, that apart from the price of tyres you would quite like to have a purple Lamborghini with a vainglorious number plate?

Edited by Lud on 04/08/2009 at 19:33

Well Lud, I have just looked up the price of a Lamborgini Mucielago LP640 convertible: £212,500, floor mats extra but I expect they would include a tank of fuel.

I think the cost of tyres would be the least of my problems. Anyway I would prefer yellow with a more discrete private plate.

It was popular with the crowds though, but not suitable for shrinking violets.
Goodwood Breakfast Club - henry k
Amazingly I met the owner of an identical XJS convertible to mine.
>>
I went to the Goodwood Breakfast this morning in a friends XJS V12 convertible and amazingly another friend, who until recently lived 300yds away from my home, parked his E type next to us. (He now lives fairly close to Goodwood.)

My experience was a little different.
We did not arrive until about 8:30 ( web site says 08:00 start ) but by 11:00 quite a few cars were departing from the display area.

A good selection of cars on display and in the car parks with a suprising number of bikes there.

The most unusual /odd vehicle I saw was an older RR modified into a two seat pick up truck.
It was a very expensive bit of engineering. The paint and finish was first class. The truck end was made out of hard wood as was the floor. The wood finish was up to RR standards and all the metal fittings looked to be made specifically for the job.
It looked totally new. It might just be planned as an advertising tool but there was no sign writing or labels to hit at this.
On the other had it might just be a rich gentleman indulging in a whim?

A good trip. Quiet roads en route but lots of traffic queues going the otherway at Guildford.

We went down the A3 and used my favourite, less obvious route, staying on the A3 avoiding Milford and then taking a left to Brook.
The same in the reverse but you need to go south when you meet the A3 in order to go over a bridge to u turn north.