What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
dud puma - nomoreford
I own a 1.7 zetec engined Ford Puma in which I have covered 34000 miles since I bought the car new in March 2000. It came with the standard 1 year warranty. which has since been increased on this model to three years. I recently experienced a catastrophic engine failure (whilst cruising at 50mph in top gear) while I was on business several hundred miles from home. When The vehicle was AA recovered to my local Ford dealer they told me that it seemed to have suffered a broken con-rod or big-end bolt as there were two holes in the engine block.
Has anybody suffered a similar total engine failure and how did the manufacturer deal with it if it is not under warrenty.

dud puma - Johnny20
Put Conrod Failure in the Keyword search and look at the Peugeot 306 engine failures.

Not very nice.

dud puma - Blue {P}
Can you not get Ford to pay for part of it? I wouldn't have thought that 2 years/34,000 miles was "reasoable life" (or whatever it is that the law requires). You must have a case surely?
dud puma - nomoreford
Yep they did. Ford initially offered 50% but then increased it to 60% of the cost. A good bit better than nothing but still a hefty bill for what to me is a nearly new car!The price is increased because you cannot buy just the bare engine but have to buy all the ancilliaries as well!
dud puma - Chas{P}
Nomoreford

A failure of this nature sounds rare.

I suggest talking to the Ford Customer Relationship Centre on: 0845 841 1111. Get as many details together regarding the car - Service history, VIN number etc and say what happened. Provided they can be satisfied that the car was not being abused (I'm sure it was not) annd had been maintained (I'm sure it was) a contribution should be considered at the least.

Best to keep your dealer informed of developments as they will be able to assist on more technical matters of your case.

Remember this is Ford's opportunity to restore your faith in their product.

HTH

Charles

dud puma - nomoreford
Thanks Charles, but I did as you suggest, with knobs on. It is impossible to get past the bimbos at the call centre that handles the calls. They said that nobody at Ford is authorised to pay more than 60%. I even asked what they were prepared to do after I had paid my part of the bill, to persuade me to buy another Ford. After all I have had Fords for years, and still own my Capri 2.8 bought new and now with 200k miles under its wheels. There answer- we will ask you to complete a survey in due course!
hence-no more ford.