What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Suggestions for a car to spoil myself with - PhysTeach
I've been looking at replacing my sensible family car with a 2 year old (or thereabouts) luxury car - its my version of a 40year old sports car but I'm too sensible for my own good - I've looked at all of the obvious things and am starting to scratch my head - I've got £20k to spend but can push it.

I drive 20 miles each day to work through city traffic and have the occasional long drive to France on holiday. My insurance is really low and I don't really car about road tax etc.

I seem to be favouring the Honda Legend but am easily swayed by suggestions.

I would be really grateful for any thoughts!
Suggestions for a car to spoil myself with - Lygonos
3.0 litre Legacy, S-Type Jag, VW Phaeton, slightly older Lexus LS, the list is huuuuuge.
Suggestions for a car to spoil myself with - Kevin
XJ TDVi Sovereign or 4.2 petrol if you don't mind the extra depreciation and fuel costs.

Nothing more refined at the price.

Kevin...
Suggestions for a car to spoil myself with - mike hannon
Don't let yourself be swayed by suggestions involving the sort of cars that are aspired to by people whose choices are dictated by what the firm will buy them - ie top of the range BMWs, Audis, Jaguars, etc. Everybody has them and most of them now have engines that use filthy fuel that forces you wear gloves when you fill up.
If you fancy the Legend and don't mind the further depreciation then go for it. It certainly won't disappoint and at least you'll be different.

Signed
A former Legend owner.
Suggestions for a car to spoil myself with - Happy Blue!
If fuel economy is irrelevant to your choice then there are any number of options. If economy is a concern then the obvious choice is German diesel. The cheapest luxury car will be the VW Phaeton as it suffers huge depreciation.

The Legend is a very good choice and a couple of friends with the same thoughts have both bought these and are delighted with it. The Legacy or Outback 3.0 are very good (I have one) but not in the same league of luxury as the Legend.

Why not buy a Citroen C6 for very little money?

Suggestions for a car to spoil myself with - Lou_O
The petrol Phaetons will have depreciated even more than the diesels. Perhaps the biggest problem is finding one within reasonable distance.

Autotrader has 38 Phaetons for sale and only 6 of them are petrol. Starting at 10K for a 2005 (55) it seems a lot of car for the money.

Suggestions for a car to spoil myself with - Lou_O
As a comparison, there are 43 Legends on Autotrader, the cheapest is a 2007 (57) at 15K.

(Would have made this an edit to my previous post but was too slow)
Suggestions for a car to spoil myself with - ifithelps
Given the OP's 'money no object' attitude to running costs, how about a Rolls Royce or a Bentley?

One snag, a quick look at Autotrader suggests £20k will only buy a 10-year-old one.

Looks like they are fetching better money than I thought.

Suggestions for a car to spoil myself with - Zuave
A 3 year old Jaguar XJ (X350 model), possibly even newer now the "new" XJ has been announced. Any engine, they are all good. but avoid the 3.5 V8 as, quite frankly, it is pointless.
I bought an 05 2.7 TDVi sovereign with 27k on the clock for 18k in Jan this year. one owner and everything you could wish for by way of bells and whistles. I quite enjoy the diesel and it is a fantastic long distance machine. Averaging 37mpg with daily commute involving 90-110mph autobahn cruising, for the 8000 miles covered since I bought it
But my 1995 XJR is more fun for a "blast":-)!

Or keep an eye on the used XF prices, they should be heading towards your budget soon.
Enjoy the searching, it is one of the most fun parts of the whole scenario.
Suggestions for a car to spoil myself with - Harmattan
I have had a previous model or two Legend and like the brand and the model appointments. The latest is rather anonymous but very hi-tech and seemingly Honda dealers might bite your hand off to offload 'directors' cars'. With your disinterest in what might happen to excise duties, I'd be strongly tempted to thumb my nose at the hatchbacks and common 4x4s on your commute and search out a 5.7-litre hemi Chrysler 300C Touring. A bit of haggling should get one down to your budget. Motorpoint will do you a new diesel 300C for £17k but you don't want to get your shoes dirty around the paupers' pumps at the petrol station. Not up to Honda interior quality but it would make the journey down through France go rather quickly.
Suggestions for a car to spoil myself with - NickS
What a fantasic situation to be in, i'm green with envy :-)!

My first vote would have to be for a VW Phaeton, which is effectively a Bentley for Mondeo money. The 5.0 W12 would be incredible, and I think they do a V10 Diesel version too which im sure wouldn't be sluggish.

My second vote would be for a Mercedes R Class, a quick Autotrader search shows a few R500's within budget..........

Other options;

Audi A8
Lexus LS430/460h
BMW 7 Series
Merc S Class
Porsche Cayenne?

The Chrysler and the Subaru, for me, are not even in the smae league luxury wise..........

Suggestions for a car to spoil myself with - PhysTeach
It has been a fun couple of weeks looking at all sorts of possible options.

As you might of guessed from the user name I teach physics but before that I spent 12 years making cars for various companies & this is the first time I've really had a free range of cars to look at without feeling swayed in any direction by either employer or wife.

Suggestions for a car to spoil myself with - stunorthants26
Buy the car you really, really want. Honda Legend is certainly an individual choice and surely if you have so many options, it does make sense to be a little different for sure.
Suggestions for a car to spoil myself with - mike hannon
>Motorpoint will do you a new diesel 300C for £17k but you don't want to get your shoes dirty around the paupers' pumps at the petrol station.<

Hahahahahahaha. 'Paupers' pumps' - love it. Just writing it down so I can add it to my own repertoire... ;-)
Suggestions for a car to spoil myself with - OldSock
Ariel Atom.

Go on - soil yourself :-)
Suggestions for a car to spoil myself with - gordonbennet
Nice change, someone that wants to spoil themselves and be different.

I really like the Legend, not as individual or as pretty in my humble as the previous model, but quality and rarity guaranteed.

I can only suggest a Lexus 430/460, for equally quiet and discreet luxury, not as rare though.

C6 would be a wonderful car if they'd had the sense (or maybe they did and didn't) to put a 5 year warranty on it.
Suggestions for a car to spoil myself with - Harleyman
Go on - soil yourself :-)

Oldsock I presume that was NOT a typo? ;-)
Suggestions for a car to spoil myself with - OldSock
Oldsock I presume that was NOT a typo? ;-)

Indeed not :-)

Sorry for the flippancy!
Suggestions for a car to spoil myself with - LikedDrivingOnce
As soon as I saw that you had written "soil" I knew it was deliberate.

"Obviously someone with a sense of humus", I thought.
Suggestions for a car to spoil myself with - runboy
Being the owner of a LS430, I can strongly suggest you have a gander at these.
Suggestions for a car to spoil myself with - BB
OP..........Go and have a look at a Jaguar XJ, lovely car.