97 1.6i boiling in expansion tank - ob1
hi all,

i wondered if any one could shed light on this ; my 97 rover 216 sli is boiling over in the expansion tank. i have replaced the head gasket, thermostat, coolant temp fan switch, and have bled the cooling system to get rid of air locks, i have removed the ball bearing in the inlet manifold as advised, they is no oil mixed with the coolant, they is no steam coming from the exhast, no leaks anywhere. fan kicks in as it should. the heater is blowing warm air but when i turn it to cold the expantion tank fills up and boils over, the temp gauge dose not seem to move above half way. ????

could anyone have an idea.

thanks.

{typo in header corrected}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 02/08/2009 at 20:18

97 1.6i boiling in expantion tank - kithmo
Replace the expansion tank cap, it's probably losing pressure allowing the coolant to boil.
97 1.6i boiling in expantion tank - injection doc
yep I agree with Kith. the new caps are modified as the old ones used to loose pressure & cause boiling.
97 1.6i boiling in expantion tank - ob1
i have bought new one for 4.99 off ebay, i will give it a try. who would have thought a cap could cause so much havoc ? all the info i have stumbled across is pointing to the cap. one saving grace is that the new parts and work i have done on the car needed doing. i will post back when i have tried the new cap. thanks for your advice.
97 1.6i boiling in expantion tank - thomp1983
would of been cheaper to pop to your local halfords they stock them on the shelf for about £3

chris
97 1.6i boiling in expantion tank - Dr Dave
Did the cap solve your problem?