What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Which would you buy? - revok
Found these three on autotrader. Which would you buy? Do any stick out as being particularly good or bad deals?

1998 bmw 3 series - bit.ly/f7l2j
1998 audi a3 - bit.ly/ksiSE
2000 honda accord - bit.ly/15erfE

Cheers

Which would you buy? - oldnotbold
They are all quite low on miles (60k or thereabouts) - paying over £2k for an eleven year old car is high, I think. My guess is you'd do better upping the miles and going for a later Ford, for example. 100k on a Mondeo is not much any more, and you would get a 2002 model for your budget.
Which would you buy? - NickS
Let me guess, a Mondeo TDCI?

Shock.
Which would you buy? - NickS
In answer to the OP, i would go with the A3. I like Audi's though.

How about an Alfa 156?

Or safer options, Nissan Primera or Mitsubishi Galant?
Which would you buy? - Happy Blue!
The Accord is an update on the most reliable car ever built. It is two years newer than the others. I wouldn't even look at the other two.
Which would you buy? - Lou_O

I have a 2001 Accord with the same engine, and have been very happy with it.

My parents have an A3 and I'd have to say that the Accord is much more practical, you'll get much more loadspace.

I haven't any experience of the of the BMW but, to me, they look wrong at the back.

Which would you buy? - boxsterboy
Depends what the OP's priorities are.

If he wants an exciting drive, go for the BMW Compact. If he wants a dull but dependable car, the Accord would be a better bet.
Which would you buy? - a900ss
In my humble opinion, I wouldn't buy any of them. £2k is too much for a 'regular' car of that age. I would either lower my budget and accept higher miles (I'd prefer a higher mileage motorway used car than a low mileage urban used car anyway) or go for a slightly newer car.

Good luck with whatever you choose though.
Thanks for the comments.

Reliability is probably the main priority, looking for something as trouble free as possible. Style is a bit of a factor too, that's why I'm looking at audi and bmw rather than vauxhall and ford. Is that a false economy?
Which would you buy? - LikedDrivingOnce
Yes. Maybe - just maybe - brands like Audi and BMW are that little bit better than most of the opposition. At least, when they are brand new.
However, as they get older they need things replacing as part of normal maintenance, and they break down.

Even if you find yourself a good indie, they will be expensive to run.

I believe that the posts up thread advising you to go for something like a Mondeo or Accord are very sensible advice.

Edited by LikedDrivingOnce on 10/07/2009 at 13:56

Which would you buy? - RaineMan
Being a RWD fan I would go for the BMW. First though I carefully would check the service history to ensure the mileage 'adds up'. A couple of years ago a friend got an old 6 cylinder 5 series for £1000. Utterly reliable and the best car he has ever driven.
So something a bit newer with more miles could be more reliable?

Maybe something like these?

bit.ly/IWbHC
bit.ly/18fffQ

Apart from price, is there much difference between a MY 2000 Accord with 60k and a 2001 with 80k? Come the time to sell will anyone care?

Also, the example the OP posted had leather seats, I know they divide opinion but I see them as a positive thing.

Which would you buy? - perro
The BMW ... and I've not even looked at the others.
It's a BMW compact you know?

Does that really count as a 3 series?

Which would you buy? - LikedDrivingOnce
The BMW ... and I've not even looked at the others.

So it's not bad enough that you have a closed mind - you have to boast about it.
Which would you buy? - FotheringtonThomas
Out of those three, the Audi, as the others are disgusting automatic thingies. It's also got good tyres, apparently. Next, the Honda, with reservations about the age and the price of parts/fitting. Last, the BMW. Quite honestly, though, as others have said, I'd probably look at something else.
Which would you buy? - oldnotbold
A £2k car from a small-time trader really isn't a great idea really - it's a £1k car that he's washed, polished and hoovered, and sticks up for £2k and will take £1.6 for cash. He probably won't back it up within your rights, so if it dies, you'll waste days chasing him, and threatening him.

You stand as much chance finding a reliable car for £1k as for £2k, so spend less, bank the rest for the rainy day, and buy privately.
Which would you buy? - Mapmaker
I don't think anybody can add anything whatsoever to oldnotbold's post.

There are a several dozen cars on autotrader, under 7 years old, under 1k (once you've sorted out the spam ads). Why pay twice as much for a car nearly twice the age?
Yeah, I'm concerned about paying extra through a dealer and not getting any benefit. I'm finding the choice of private ads on autotrader and gumtree quite limited though. Any suggestions on where else to look for private sellers?
Which would you buy? - a900ss
Ebay PROVIDED you look/drive the car prior to bidding.
Which would you buy? - Avant
"Style is a bit of a factor too, that's why I'm looking at audi and bmw rather than vauxhall and ford. Is that a false economy?"

A Honda is a nice compromise, so I'd go for that. If you don't need more room than is offered by a 3-series or an A3, consider the Honda Civic as well as the Accord.