06 2.0 TDCI - Advice on common problems - santrix
I'm looking at giving up my scooby to get something more sensible... the wife had a 2.0 TDCO mondeo 2003MY a few years back with her company. It was an auto box, and frankly spent a lot of time in the shop (actually several different ones, as the level of technical knowledge in the average ford shop seems to be appaling) due to the management light... I'm hoping she was just unlucky, but the thing was generally reliable apart from breaking down once when the crank sensor finally failed.

Anyway - I have read a lot of horror stories about failing Dual Mass Flywheels (I'll be looking for replaced starter motors), Fuel Pumps putting swarf into the lines and failing the injectors (where is the fuel pump located so I can check if it's been replaced?), crap clutches etc etc... I'm hoping that the Mondeo Mk3 (which according to this site ran from 2000 to 2007 got better as time went on???

I'm looking at an 06 plate 2.0 130bhp TDCI with 45k, and a full ford history. Can anyone advise of things I should ask about, look for under the hood, or look for while road testing that would reveal a lemon? Or have the DMF, and injecgtor/fuel problems largely been fixed on the 06 plates?

Cheers!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 06/06/2009 at 17:01

06 2.0 TDCI - Advice on common problems - Peter.N.
Unfortunately, most if not all common rail engines seem to suffer with these problems to some degree, but some go on to do 200,000 miles with no problems. Modern diesels are just not as robust as those made in the '80s and 90s, which is why I only run mid '90s diesels with no Ecu. Unless you want to regress to '90s cars you have to take this risk. Your driving style should have some influence on the reliability but a good warranty is your best defence.