96 1.9 Hydraulic leak from r/o/s pipe to caliper - burge
I have found that the green hydraulic fluid is oozing from a small pin hole just before the union the goes into the rear O/s caliper, will this fluid only come out when the brakes are applied or will it flow when the system starts up and pumps up the presseure??

Edited by Pugugly on 28/05/2009 at 18:20

96 1.9 Hydraulic leak from rear o/s pipe to calipe - Peter D
Irrelevant, This is a safety matter and your vehicle is unsafe. The pipe could split open under the pressure of some hard braking. Do not use the vehicle, replace that pipe and inspect all other pipes very closely for corrosion and replace as appropriate. Regards Peter
96 1.9 Hydraulic leak from rear o/s pipe to calipe - burge
Unfortunatly that does not answer my question, I wish to move the car off the drive and put it out the front so that I can get to my other vehicle out, and if when pressurised the fluid pours out then it will make a mess along the short journey. and probably pour all over the disc & brake pads, but if it only comes out when I apply the brakes then I can move it slowly and only use the handbrake.
96 1.9 Hydraulic leak from rear o/s pipe to calipe - RichardW
Provided it is only the pipe to the caliper then it will only leak (a lot) when the brake is pressed. Not meaning to condone driving it, but I had one of these fail on my Xantia, and the first I knew about it was when my colleague phoned up to tell me the car had left an oil stain on his drive when I dropped him off. No drop off in (albeit normal) brake performance. Replacing it was a right song and dance mind you....
96 1.9 Hydraulic leak from rear o/s pipe to calipe - maltrap
If you move the car any distance with leaking brake fluid it might be you that makes the mess!

Edited by maltrap on 28/05/2009 at 13:31

96 1.9 Hydraulic leak from rear o/s pipe to calipe - glowplug
RW is right.

If you carefully drive it onto the drive using just the handbrake to stop you shouldn't lose much LHM, replacing the pipe is a pain though.

Steve.
As the leak is near the caliper then you could clamp off the flexi to isolate that wheel and just use the hand brake when manoeuvring the car. Regards Peter
96 1.9 Hydraulic leak from rear o/s pipe to calipe - RichardW
No flexis on the back of the Xantia - suspension movement is taken up by a coil of metal pipe inboard of the trailing arm pivot. One of the reasons it's a PITA to replace!
If the pipe has to be replaced then crush it with a pair of Mole-grips and leave then on the pipe, or the fluid will slowly drain out. Regards Peter