What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
03 1.6 Bonnet lock seized solid - JenniFlower
Hello,
wonder if anyone on here can help with this problem.
Went to lift the bonnet on my Focus the other evening and found that the key wouldn't budge in the lock - no movement whatsoever :(

The car was locked at the time, but I don't think that this should have made a difference - I am pretty sure I have unlocked the bonnet release before with the car being locked.

Anyway, the hand book is no help at all.
We have sprayed the lock liberally with WD40 and it's made no difference.

Has anyone else ever experienced this problem before?
I have found lots of people who have suffrered with the lock turning but the catch not releasing, but I can't find anything on line about any ones bonnet lock seizing completely and not turning at all.

Until last week, the bonnet release lock was free and working just fine.

Any assistance at all with this problem would be really very much appreciated :)

Thanks.
03 1.6 Bonnet lock seized solid - MikeTorque
Firstly unlock the central locking and open the drivers door, thus disarming any alarm that may be fitted.

Spray more WD40 through and around the bonnet locking mechanism and wait for a couple of minutes or so. Next insert the dummy key (not the remote key), use one hand to push down/apply pressure onto the bonnet over the position of the locking mechanism (not too much pressure otherwise a dent may occur) whilst at the same time turning the key to position 1, then release bonnet hand pressure and turn key to position 2 whilst at the same time lifting the bonnet.

If the above doesn't work then the locking mechanism may well be seized and I'd suggest a phone call or trip to a Ford garage (or similar) to see what they would recommend.