What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
V6 Mondeo-How much would you pay? - Martin Devon
We may change motors soon and I am looking specifically at a 52 plate Mondeo V6 Ghia X Auto Estate. 43k miles. Drove it this afternoon and all seems OK. All service stamps in place from main dealers. Obviously very well specified. Awaiting preparation shown on screen, but I know that it has had a scratch repaired (Dealer principal and salesman told me on two separate occasions). Why would they do that, but not finish the prep?

Local (ish) car. Was asking £4995 then £4495 and I have already got them well down on this without too much trying.

How much would you pay?

Best regards..............Martin.
V6 Mondeo-How much would you pay? - davidh
Not too much, its thirsty and knocking on a bit.

£3K
Not too much its thirsty and knocking on a bit.
£3K

I am not worried about the fuel. We only cover 3-5 k per annum privately and I am not ready for pipe and slippers yet. As stated here before probably one of the best stitched together cars on the planet and has all the toys. It ain't no rocket but it's pleasant.

££ ??

Best reg's......MD
V6 Mondeo-How much would you pay? - rtj70
For that age of car. Rip off price. If you want to pay because it's a "Ghia X" then you know what you want.
V6 Mondeo-How much would you pay? - oldnotbold
"I am not worried about the fuel"

You might not be, but it's price-killer, so take advantage.
"I am not worried about the fuel"

Last week I asked the salesman straight, over the 'phone, how much and he said £3700.00 with any bits fixed and with a 3 month Warranty. Today on site dealer principal, who I have to say was a very decent chap to deal with said 3.75 as it is. Well clearly the former will take precedence, but I still think it's too high, but the car is good. I take on board the age thing though as it has been niggling at me.

You might not be but it's price-killer so take advantage.

Principal also said that nobody wants them due to the fuel thing. Best I hang back a while eh? But what in reality will it bottom out at? Any thoughts?

I always pay too much methinks, but straight cars seem hard to find.

Does this Estate hold much value over the hatch??

Best regards..............martin.
V6 Mondeo-How much would you pay? - jacks
Local (ish) car. Was asking £4995 then £4495 and I have already got them well
down on this without too much trying.

Glass's (trade) puts this at

Excellent condition: £2790
Average condition: £2500
Below average condition: £2190

so - assuming they bought it in at between 25 and 27 hundred it's a nice earner at £4995

(with all due appologies to Bell Boy - I know I know overheads, time wasters, men in shorts etc etc!)

You may not be bothered about the thirst - doing < 5K - but plenty will, so be ruthless =£3500 max

V6 Mondie is a great choice though.

J
just seen your reply re £3700 - they are being realistic - so maybe it will bottom out at around £3250 - if they are keen to deal.

Edited by jacks on 19/05/2009 at 21:44

V6 Mondeo-How much would you pay? - bell boy
i never said a word ;-0
i would do my homework in autotrader if i had my heart on one
thing is most people are so lazy they buy locally,suits me but they pay more :-)
i never said a word ;-0
i would do my homework in autotrader if i had my heart on one
thing is most people are so lazy they buy locally suits me but they pay
more :-)

Hi BB. Not lazy, but time is money and traipsing up country a couple of times, with a knowledgeable mechanic will soon add £250.00 + per trip to include my time away from graft and with the greatest respect I usually trust dealer descriptions like a Witch Doctor so I don't want to trawl the country.

I have been scouring Autotrader (national) on the net now for 3-4 weeks and V6's are thin on the ground unless you want a manual ex yob mobile.

3k would be my ideal budget so up to 4 at a push. There isn't too much around I think, although an 04 saloon at Motorzone Gatwick at a tad under 4k caught my eye!

keep those thoughts coming please..............MD
V6 Mondeo-How much would you pay? - bell boy
sorry didnt mean you MD i was generalising
sorry didnt mean you MD i was generalising

Didn't take it that way at all Sir. Appreciate your post(s)

VBR........MD
V6 Mondeo-How much would you pay? - gordonbennet
I'd only want to pay 2.5 to 3.0, it could be coming up for exhaust replacement or similar at that age, and i seem to remember those being rather pricey, it could also need pads all round, they might be originals and suffering from corrosion by now.

Presumably you've had a good butchers underneath?

Nice car though.
it could also need pads all round they might be originals and suffering from corrosion
by now.

SQ

Front discs quite rusty but stopped straight enough. Haven't had a good nose at the Keel yet, but this would be my next move if they decide to get a bit closer to playing ball.

Lady owner recently but for how long I cant say. Guess it may also need a damn good thrash.

Best regards...........Martin.

{Martin, for the very last time of asking, DON'T quote the entire message you're replying to. It is far easier for us to delete than it is to keep editing your posts!}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 19/05/2009 at 22:26

V6 Mondeo-How much would you pay? - gordonbennet
Front discs quite rusty but stopped straight enough.

I was more thinking of low mileage long term where the steel backing of the pad sometimes starts to rust and the pad material lifts away..i've removed pads before where the friction material was only clamped on by the action of the brake and fell off when removed.
They're probably fine, i'm a werret...

Go on MD get them overalls out and get down and dirty..;)
V6 Mondeo-How much would you pay? - hillman1 {p}
Hi Martin,

Would be worth having a look at the bottom of the doors as I guess at that age it could have the well documented problems with rust. Our old 02 registered one did and I have seen a number around that look very bad now.

Regards

Nick
{Martin for the very last time of asking DON'T quote the entire message you're replying
to. It is far easier for us to delete than it is to keep editing
your posts!}

If you actually look I haven't in nearly all of them.

You really do have it bad where I am concerned don't you DD?

Martin.
Martin for the very last time of asking DON'T quote the entire message you're replying
to.

I see it has gone then Mr. Dynamic Dave. What ever happened to free speech?

MD
V6 Mondeo-How much would you pay? - Dynamic Dave
Martin, you have email, but seeing as you want to continue this discussion publicly, fine.

Do a forum search of your name, and put "SQ" or "snip" in the message body box and < 1 year search. See how many times your posts have required editing because of unnecessary quoting.

Also, just do a forum search of "SQ" without your username (< 1 year search) and see how many times your name appears on page one of that search.

Now try telling me that you don't unnecessarily quote the message that you're replying to!

DD.

{edited to correct my poor spelling}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 20/05/2009 at 15:22

V6 Mondeo-How much would you pay? - stan10
Approx 10 weeks ago i offered a dealer £4000 cash for a (large petrol engined) car that had a sticker price of £4999. Dealer came down quite a lot, but not to my £4k. (i was not trying a rip-off - that was my honest evaluation).

Same car is still on his forecourt, sticker price is now £4695, i bet he is more fed up than i am.

I still haven't bought a car, (not desperate) but have seen better ones for less than he wanted, just not been quick enough - three times !

Your Mondeo, - £3k would be great, but may be a bit low from a dealer, £3500 could be nice though?, You don't say how many owners or what condition apart from the scratch, which i wouldnt necessarily worry too much about if it's been fixed properly, even though the mileage is low it is after all nearly 7 years old.

In his favour is that the Mondeo is a well respected car, and there are other canny buyers (like you and me !! ) out there who are buying cars like this, and he reads autotrader too, so he also knows that there aren't many about.

good luck, hope you can do the deal.

V6 Mondeo-How much would you pay? - oldnotbold
Nice cars, but what will they be worth three years time? Sounds to me that even at £3,000 they have a bit further to fall - is any ten year old Mondeo worth more than £1,000?

While £2,000 over three years does not sound like much, add on a new exhaust, a full set of boots and something for the brakes and you could spend another £1,000, which then looks like a very expensive 3-5k miles a year, I'd argue.
Your Mondeo - £3k would be great but may be a bit low from a
dealer £3500 could be nice though? You don't say how many owners or what condition
apart from the scratch.

2 owners. I never think it'll get down to 3k but I am going to back off a little.

Thanks to Hillman1. I did have a cursory 'feel' at the bottom of the drivers door, from the drivers seat of course, cos it was tiddling down with rain. Will take that point on board though and if a deal looks likely my man and I will be proper nuisances in overalls.

Best regards..........martin
V6 Mondeo-How much would you pay? - Collos25
It would really struggle to fetch £1500 at auction in the Leeds area if anyone was daft enough to buy it I think the word lemon is appropriate.
It would really struggle to fetch £1500 at auction in the Leeds area.

Lemon eh? You no likey then Andy. Why daft?

Regards......MD
V6 Mondeo-How much would you pay? - Pezzer
Martin, apologies if I've missed this in my skim of this thread but have you checked out the VED category for this car. It will soon cost a lot of money in Road Tax each year.

Have you checked out the VED category for this car. It will soon cost a lot of
money in Road Tax each year.

Give me a clue please Pezz'.

Regards........MD
V6 Mondeo-How much would you pay? - Pezzer
I think you are looking at Band L : £405 pa

www.whatcar.com/news-article.aspx?NA=231720

hth

No clickable links to a rival site please

Edited by Webmaster on 20/05/2009 at 13:18