What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Thinking of selling, what's it worth? - Blue {P}
Hi guys,

Just a quick question for those who may have a clue, I'm thinking of selling my MK2 Mondeo Ghia X V6 LPG. It's a 2000 model and in what I can honestly say is immaculate condition for it's age, with the rare factory fitted ST24 kit. The LPG kit is still under warranty for a year.

Whilst I can easily value it based on similar vehicles, I simply can't find one like mine to try and compare the value with!

So, what would those who work in the trade reckon that it's worth? Financially I know what I could do with, but I suspect that as is always the case, my figure is dis-jointed from reality. I'm aware that it's only a 9 year old Mondeo but in all honesty, I don't think there will be many better ones in daily use outside of a museum.

I was thinking of just banging an ad on Ebay but really don't fancy taking the chance of it selling for peanuts as I couldn't afford to replace it with a new car unless I get a set amount!
Thinking of selling, what's it worth? - oldnotbold
You can set a reserve on Ebay, and start the price at a level set by you, so there is no chance of it going for a stupidly cheap amount. Conversely, about 80% of people have an inflated idea of their car's value, and Ebay will show that up perfectly!

Autotrader ads suggest it's worth £1500 tops in a private sale - how does that sound?
Thinking of selling, what's it worth? - Martin Devon
Is it Auto by chance??

MD
Thinking of selling, what's it worth? - bell boy
it sounds nice, i would dip a toe in autotrader and see if there are any bites first before you go the internet way
always remember theres a bum for every seat,its just finding the bum that matters
Thinking of selling, what's it worth? - Lud
Why don't you like it any more Blue?
Thinking of selling, what's it worth? - Pizza man
£1500-£2000 because it's LPG'd £500-800 otherwise.
Thinking of selling, what's it worth? - Avant
At this age, and in the present economic climate where big-engined cars won't sell well - if it's going well this is one to keep.
Thinking of selling, what's it worth? - Blue {P}
Martin - no it's the manual, I wouldn't have an Auto one of these as the boxes are too weak by all accounts.

The prices that have been mentioned of £1,500 - £2,000 seem about what I was expecting, to make my deal work I would have needed pretty much £2K.

Considering that just under 2 years ago I paid £2,200 for the car (£2,500 once I'd fixed the alternator and Climate Control that were broken at point of sale) since then I've spent £1,650 on the gas and £460 having rusty wheel arches cut away and new ones welded on and sprayed, I think whoever paid £2,000 for it would be getting a bargain. I've also had routine servicing on top (including a huge bill today of £20 for two drop links and two wheel balances, it's great having a mechanic mate!)

The only reason that I'm looking at changing is mainly because I'm simply bored with the car now as I've had it nearly two years which is nearly a year more than I've ever owned a single car before now. There's nothing wrong with the car, she drives very smoothly and I have to say that I still think that LPG is the way to go for an economical engine without resorting to a Sherman tank like my dad (270 CDI Merc), I'm running the V6 for 11p per mile which I think is pretty good and as cheap as my old Fiesta in 2001 :-)

However, I've just found out that we've gone slightly over one of our budgets at work (more than slightly actually, think near lottery jackpot sized overspend) and as such my overtime opportunities are going to be curtailed until September, so, I've decided to keep her for the rest of the year at least and look at changing in December sometime when I will be substantially better off and the cars that I'm looking at buying will be even cheaper. I'm pleased I found this information yesterday as I was looking at buying a new car on Friday!

Thanks for the contributions, I'll update when I eventually do decide to part with her.
Thinking of selling, what's it worth? - Pizza man
If you wait till fuel goes back over a £1 per litre your Mondeo will go up in value because of the LPG.