What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
03 2.3 having to replace the wiper motor again - Tabler1
I replaced the wiper motor on my galaxy just short of 2 years ago at great expense. I now find that the motor again needs replacing. So far to my knowledge this is now the 3rd wiper motor the car has had.

Is this a common problem?

{No need to SHOUT! Post amended to turn the volume down}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/05/2009 at 18:56

03 2.3 having to replace the wiper motor again - elekie&a/c doctor
I would strongly suggest that you check the wiper linkage for free movement.It is very common for this to seize on the spindle shafts.The motor overheats due to excessive force reqd to move the linkage.hth
03 2.3 having to replace the wiper motor again - Tabler1
Thanks for the welcome advice, cheers !

{Edited once more! Will you please stop posting in CAPITAL letters. This is classed as shouting when doing so on the internet}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/05/2009 at 19:38

03 2.3 having to replace the wiper motor again - bravewolf
This is extremely common on the Galaxy/Sharan/Alhambra. I replaced my wiper linkage earlier this year after sourcing replacement parts through a friend who works as a mechanic at Audi (he got cheap VW parts). I believe the SEAT parts are cheapest if you are looking for new ones. After I had replaced my linkage (reasonably straightforward) I repaired my original linkage (which is a little more difficult as the jammed end takes some persuasion to get apart and the metal threaded portion that attaches to the wiper arm is soft metal and prone to damage if your not careful - tap and die set is useful!) by disassembling the side that was jammed and lubricating with copper grease. I then sold this reconditioned linkage on e-bay but wished that I had just fixed it in the first place! My wiper motor is still working fine but they will burn out if continually put under excessive load by a dodgy linkage.

By the way Ford wanted to replace both the motor and linkage at a cost of over £800!!
03 2.3 having to replace the wiper motor again - richbev
my sharan is a 99 plate. its had 2 wiper motors since new. last time the printed circuit board on top of the motor was wet and shorted but ya cant buy the board so a new motor was needed.nothing actually wrong with the linkage or motor. if it happens again il be buying a 2nd hand 1 from u pull it york cause there really cheap
03 2.3 having to replace the wiper motor again - bell boy
richbev why do you keep plugging copart on this site?
03 2.3 having to replace the wiper motor again - bravewolf
These symptoms could be either the motor or linkage or electrics to the motor. Easy way to find out if it is the linkage that is seized is to disconnect it from the motor and you should be able to move the wipers (without too much effort), if not the linkage is seized. By the time my wipers had stopped working the linkage was so badly seized that I had to use a vice and hammer to get it to move at all, before disassembling and lubricating the spindle.

My only expense should have been a can of copper grease if I had not already ordered a new linkage! I did however get about £90 back by selling the one I reconditioned online. They do sell very quickly though as this is such a common problem, I had over a dozen bidders (some trade) within a couple of days. Also beware, older models do have a different type of linkage. It is obvious which one is which if you get to compare the one fitted with a decent picture and they have a different number of mounting points too.
03 2.3 having to replace the wiper motor again - 659FBE
Seized wiper spindles are (another) VAG speciality.

On my Passat clone I have wound some wool (knotted the ends) around the lower end of the wiper spindle shafts - there isn't room for much. You need to remove the scuttle covers to get in there - a real pain.

The wool is now soaked in oil and is re-oiled annually.

Regard the wool as a self-assembled felt washer.

Edited by 659FBE on 31/12/2009 at 12:54