What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Smiling and motoring? or standard sour face? - oilrag
Ever smile when you`re motoring? - to other people that is. Or do you go for what seems to have become the `standard British sour face?

I remember a grim Winter in 1987 and driving through slow moving traffic in Bradford city centre. People standing waiting for buses with faces that looked like they were on Death Row - and their milk had gone off.

I remember saying to Fiona as the 2cv crept past " for goodness sake don`t smile".

Smiling can get you into trouble, best not to walk throuigh a city centre with a smile on your face - look grim, it`s safer.

Back in 84, in Ipswich (of all places) a beaming smile straight at me from a young woman driving slowly past, in traffic.

Ever smiled when you hold your hand up to say `thanks` for letting you through. Sometimes a smile back, sometimes a face of utter sourness as the personality behind the lips thinks you have put one over on them by getting through.

I find it a struggle not to smile, but it can get you into trouble.
Stop smiling....
;-)

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 29/04/2009 at 19:48

Smiling and motoring? or standard sour face? - Lud
Stop smiling....

... or try to mutate that silly good-natured grin into an offensive, supercilious sneer...
Smiling and motoring? or standard sour face? - Alby Back
I find that I've reached a stage in life where smiling at people seems to make them nervous.

Maybe it's where I live. Didn't used to be like that. Chips on both shoulders round here.

Difficult to say when I last gave anyone a smile for doing me a motoring courtesy. I would though willingly if anyone ever did........

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 29/04/2009 at 15:24

Smiling and motoring? or standard sour face? - Pugugly
HB,

Have you come across the study in your neck of the woods on sausage roll consumption by single young mothers ?
No, can't say I have, but lurking in there might be some clue as to the disproportionate numbers of fat women with tattoos and bald men ( often slimmer than their partners surprisingly ) but also with tattoos we get around here. Seemly congenitally miserable in any event but particularly so when driving.
Smiling and motoring? or standard sour face? - Mick Snutz
Owners of Ariel Atoms should not smile.

Unless they like flies.
Smiling and motoring? or standard sour face? - captain chaos
I find it a struggle not to smile, but it can get you into trouble
As in "Wot you smilin' at, innit" :-(

Edited by captain chaos on 29/04/2009 at 15:24

"or try to mutate that silly good-natured grin into an offensive, supercilious sneer..."

I tried that Lud, but it doesn`t work - I think its negated by the Punto van. The same when I get out and I`m visually assessed and catagorised by my £3.99p jeans and £2 fleece from Primark....
Of course they can`t tell that I`m a major player with clothes, having about 6 pairs of each back home...

Edited by oilrag on 29/04/2009 at 15:25

Smiling and motoring? or standard sour face? - Lud
Returning to take the OP seriously, I am like you oilrag one of those who try to communicate with other road users by expression and gesture as well as light and other signals and the car's body language... I have grown out of rude angry gestures so most of mine are positive in intention, although there is sometimes a derisive component.

There are still a few human beings about, I notice: people who respond in kind in a pleasant unaffected way. But I am afraid Dalek comportment is becoming normal: cold, expressionless, stare straight ahead; and if you are a pedestrian being deferred to by a car, give it a dirty look and try to hang about in its way for as long as possible.

Some of this is due to paranoia I suppose. Women especially may have been so badly brought up that they think there is something wrong or risky about catching another person's eye without looking nasty. But I am afraid in most cases it's just vacuity. They aren't aware of your communication, or they imagine it is coolly elegant to be boorishly rude.
Smiling and motoring? or standard sour face? - bell boy
the art is to smile and wave as the other drivers go through a gap that should be yours
it unsettles them to the extreme
Smiling and motoring? or standard sour face? - diddy1234
I cant help but have a grin inducing smile when I boot it after being stuck behind some Sunday driver plodding along at 20mph in a 40 zone.
Car picks up so well compared to other pink fluffy dice boxes I have had.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 29/04/2009 at 19:49

Smiling and motoring? or standard sour face? - commerdriver
classic car drivers frequently smile / wave when we pass another (classic camper drivers are especially friendly). This even includes those driving vehicles not passing the classic criteria some backroomers seem to apply :-)

We even sometimes get a smile from other drivers not in classic
Smiling and motoring? or standard sour face? - redviper
you might get arrested for it, these days - its probalby in breach of their "human rights" being smiled at :-(

Edited by redviper on 29/04/2009 at 15:45

Smiling and motoring? or standard sour face? - Hamsafar
When opposing people wait to let me through, I give them a sort of Hitler salute. It started by accident and was pointed out to me by a passenger and has since 'stuck'. If they are behind I usually give a big thumbs up.

In all cases I avoid eye contact or smiles.
Smiling and motoring? or standard sour face? - L'escargot
I smile at girls and glower at men.
Smiling and motoring? or standard sour face? - Rattle
I smile and thank drivers that give way to me but I usualy find myself nodding and shaking my head at aggresive drivers in mid performance cars driving like an aggressive maniac.

I do find myself smiling when I over take a bus though even though I still use buses.

Smiling and motoring? or standard sour face? - scouseford
I can't imagine Mr X smiling very much at anything!
Smiling and motoring? or standard sour face? - deepwith
Smiling? Often
Blowing a kiss? If you let me out when I have been stuck for a g e s
Thanking you extravagantly? You barged through when it was my right of way and were boorish enough not even to thank or acknowledge me

Smiling and motoring? or standard sour face? - perro
My mate Lauri, who used to live up on the moor, used to say if you see anyone smiling in Bodmin, they're either mad or on drugs!
I blame Cromwell. Miserable Gti.

;-)
Don`t try the above mentioned Third Reich salute when motoring in Berlin. You will likely be arrested or saluted back, depending on where you are.
;-)

Edited by oilrag on 30/04/2009 at 14:26

Smiling and motoring? or standard sour face? - Jon P
Too many people today see a smile as a sign of weakness, either their own or that of others.

Also, there are a lot of profoundly thick drivers out there. That's what I put it down to - thickety.

By the way, Oilrag, I never had any problem getting people to smile at my 2CV (any one of the three). Oh no, sorry, that was laughing. As you were.
I had a blue 2cv in 87 Jon - great fun. D908 GWX wonder if its still around? I did a mega rustproofing job on it.

Edited by oilrag on 30/04/2009 at 14:33

Smiling and motoring? or standard sour face? - TimOrridge
It would appear oily, you must have done a good job!

The vehicle details for D908 GWX are:

Date of Liability 01 04 2010
Date of First Registration 01 08 1986
Year of Manufacture 1986
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 602CC
CO2 Emissions Not Available
Fuel Type Petrol
Export Marker Not Applicable
Vehicle Status SORN Not Due
Vehicle Colour BLUE
Vehicle Type Approval null
The information contained on this page is correct at the time of enquiry.
Vehicle Excise Duty Rate for vehicle
6 Months Rate £66.00
12 Months Rate £120.00
Smiling and motoring? or standard sour face? - mike hannon
I only want to drive cars that make me smile and it's becoming more and more difficult to find them. Certainly nothing modern fills the bill, although I did burst out laughing back along when an acquaintance gave me a lift at night in his new A4 and all the fascia fairy lights came on when he turned the key.
I almost inevitably smile at French drivers who, in spite of the nation's reputation for politeness, very rarely acknowledge you or say 'merci' if you give way. I often find myself shaking my head in disbelief, though, at what I see happening around me...
"It would appear oily, you must have done a good job!"

Tim, I flooded the chassis with a couple of gallons of engine oil, mixed with waxoil - putting bungs in the end, to let it swish around for a couple of weeks. Everywhere else was treated with either waxoil, or grease...

Good to see it llasted, I actually did 87,000 miles in just under three years and often wonder If it got clocked.
Smiling and motoring? or standard sour face? - Tron
Smile?

Making eye contact is sufficient in my neck of the woods to instigate road rage - so smiling? Heck!!!

If you make a hand signal you had better make sure a very clear '4 fingers and 1 x thumb' are visible too!