What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Personalised plates - volvoman
In another thread L'escargot mentioned the driver of a Mini Cooper who he thought had been 'nabbed' for having plates which had been 'tweaked' to read like her name. I'm sure most of us have seen similar plates where 7's are made to look like T's and black dots used to make 2 different letters look like a single different letter. I always thought this was illegal but there seem to be so many about still. What is the law and should it be more rigorously enforced ?
Personalised plates - Dorian
AFAIK the law is pretty clear on number plates:
Each letter must be a certain height and width, the spacing between each is also defined (including the gap between the letter groups e.g. the XYZ part of A123 XYZ)

The number plate is checked as part of the MOT (at least, it should be...) I guess people who have "odd" plates swap them for normal legal ones when it comes to MOT's, and then put their fancy ones back on.

I think the law was tightened a lot when automated plate reading technology was introduced for speed-cameras, etc.

Personalised plates - Armitage Shanks{P}
I am more concerned with police using their time and money to catch burglars, muggers, paedophiles and other low life. If fools want to drive around with plates saying TWIT or DORIS or whatever, it may be illegal, but let the police deal with 'real' crime first and foremost. Thye are short enough of resources as it is, IMHO
Personalised plates - J Bonington Jagworth
Especially since the function of a numberplate is to aid identification, and TWIT or DORIS tends to be a lot easier to remember...

AS - I wasn't suggesting that the police should be diverted from the sort of duties you mentioned, in fact I don't remember mentioning the police at all. Why need it be a police task to routinely, say, photograph and report 'dodgy' plates and then leave it to the DVLA or courts if necessary. Of cours it's not hard to deduce that 'DORIS' is almost certainly 'DOR 15' so tracing such a number is no problem and yes its very easy to remember. I was really thinking about those plates which have 'ordinary' numbers that have been so distorted that it's hard to determine what the real number is. There is a Merc CLK near hear which has such a plate and although I can remember but won't list here the 'fake' number it's almost impossible to read the real number from any distance and I certainly can't remember it.
It's just worth considering that the t*** who 'distorted' his plate in this way might be involved in a fatal road accident and decide to leave the scene in a hurry in which case tracing him might prove very difficult. As already suggested, why not make it an MOT failure issue for a start and then treat distorting plates a fixed penalty offence. Don't see that having to tae up too much police time. ?
Personalised plates - Andy
The DVLA can confiscate a number plate if letter spacings etc do not comply their guidelines.
Personalised plates - Dynamic Dave
why not make it an MOT failure issue for a start

It is an MOT failure if the number plate doesn't meet the legal requirement. Trouble is most carry a spare set of legal plates in the boot with them. On MOT day, they simply swap the plates over for the legal ones.
A hire car company once used a similar scam where they swapped over wheels and tyres between their fleet of cars to get MOT's if they thought that the tyres might fail.
Personalised plates - BrianW
Any system which relies on checking one day per year is next to useless as the minority who it's aimed at will find ways round it.
Personalised plates - Armitage Shanks{P}
I agree that you didn't mention the police but I can't think of anyone else who has the powers or duty to report misplaced letters on a number plate! I don't think parking wardens do but I am sure I shall be informed if I am wrong!
A.S. - I agree that they probably don't have the powers at present but don't see any reason why they shouldn't be given them.
PS - Do you know Ideal Standard ?
Personalised plates - Toad, of Toad Hall.
PS - Do you know Ideal Standard ?

Stop being so Vitreous, China.

--
Parp, Parp!
Note: All Toad posts come with an implied smiley.
Personalised plates - L'escargot
"PS - Do you know Ideal Standard ?"

I know Ideal Standard. I used to work for a UK company that was owned by the same US conglomerate (American Standard) that owned Ideal Standard. And no, we didn't get employees discount on Ideal Standard bogs etc. !! (Nothing at all to do with motoring except that we made truck components.)

I am more concerned with police using their time and money
to catch ...paedophiles

Especially since they spend so much time in the same newsgroups!

--
Parp, Parp!
Personalised plates - PB
I think this is an example of a law being too tight, hence sometimes appearing stupid. Of course DOR15 rather than DOR 15 is OK. Why not have standard digits, as now, but alter the existing leeway to accommodate the most common flexing of spacing, so people can have DOR15 or DOR4 1 or whatever.

Unfortunately that would still exclude "LICK ME", as I saw on a Smart the other day, with a very bent 7 as a C.
Personalised plates - J Bonington Jagworth
Probably too late to do anything about it here now, but the Americans seem to have the right idea with annually-issued plates (instead of tax disc) which can be anything you like as long as no-one else has got it. It is then registered as it reads, with no confusion to anyone. Would also render all the dodgy numberplate dealers unemployed...
Personalised plates - Dwight Van Driver
They tell me the plate "USA 911" is a no no in Alfgallystan?

DVD
Personalised plates - Ian (Cape Town)
Would also render
all the dodgy numberplate dealers unemployed...

As the goverment itself are actually offering 'cherished' plates for sale at a premium (AFAIK), I can't quite see this happening...
Call me a cynic...
Personalised plates - Union Jack
Ian (aka CYN1 C)

How true, not least since DVLC or their agents are right up there with the dealers competing to put a premium on plates that are just begging to be distorted/misrepresented.

Q. Is there a premium on registration AFA1 K?

A. NAF41K

Best wishes

J4CKO
Personalised plates - Phil I
Sorry if I seem a bit dim CYN1C but can you spell this out 4me
as I cannot see what the connection is between Q & A.

Tks in advance yr speedy elucidation

Happy Motoring Phil I
Personalised plates - Union Jack
FIL 1

So sorry, Phil - Couldn't resist ... so, using Volvoman's splendid expression for altered plates, namely "tweaking", Ian having said above "Call me a cynic", I did, in the form CYN1 C, prior to which he said "the government itself are actually offering 'cherished' plates for sale at a premium (AFAIK), "tweaked" by me in the subsequent Q and A to read AFA1 K = As Far As I Know, further "tweaked" to read NAF41 K = Not As Far As I Know.

Have to go now. Matron says I have to put the L1 GHT out and go to S1 EEP, and she hopes I'll feel better 5 OON .....

Jack
Personalised plates - Phil I
Thanks Jack I can sleep soundly now. Had a 57 Daimler Century (bought for £150 in mid 70s) regd TAB 42 . Was approached at one of the DLOC rallies by a restauranteur wanting to buy the plate.
Couldn't see what he wanted it for either. Always was bit slow on the uptake.

Happy Motoring Phil I
Personalised plates - TrevorP
"plates that are just begging"

Hmmmm. Now we have talking inanimate objects.
"LICK ME"

I love it when they play hard-to-get!

--
Parp, Parp!
Personalised plates - bogush
Off TOP1C ?

Seen on another forum, perhaps it should be in the SPE3D camera thread:

Two weeks ago a speed camera van in Canberra was approached by 4 youths. Whilst the camera operator was talking to three boys about the van's equipment and how it works, the fourth boy proceeded to undo the van's front number plate.

They then said good-bye to the operator, went home and fixed the number plate to their car and proceeded to drive considerably over the speed limit 17 times through the speed camera radar.

Needless to say, there was considerable embarassment by Urban services when the computer posted their own speeding fines to the department.
Personalised plates - BrianW
"Needless to say, there was considerable embarassment by Urban services when the computer posted their own speeding fines to the department."

Love it. If only it could happen more often.
Personalised plates - Vansboy
Confession Time Again!
I've got VAN580Y on my van.
Debbi had DEB50V on her Sovereign.
Also got B11DGN,(our surname is BUDGEN)
Sorry about this, guys!!
Mark
Personalised plates - Graham
When are you getting:

SAD 80Y
Personalised plates - THe Growler
There was the blonde who had:

3M TA3

Eventually the authorities caught on and revoked it.

Took me a while to figure it out too.
Far too early in the morning for me -whats it supposed to represent?

Please help me, I'm thick :(
Personalised plates - L'escargot
Far too early in the morning for me -whats it supposed
to represent?
Please help me, I'm thick :(

Far too early in the morning, afternoon, evening, or night for me !! I must be totally thick !!
The 'secret' here is to view:

'3M TA3' in a mirror !
NOW I get it!!!

Although this is all slightly off the original point of this thread (which I would like to get back to 'cos I think it's important), I have seen the following:

"69 JOB"

"5 EXY"
Personalised plates - Mark (RLBS)
Enough sexual innuendo type comments/postings.

Thank you.

Oooohhh - I do like it when you talk tough Mark.

ps. there'll be no more of that naughty innuendo stuff from me Mark !
Personalised plates - BigTJ
It's a Jeep thing, you wouldn't understand...
Why are they called "cherished"?

I think they're pseud -- 'specially as half the time they look silly - I mean mostly they don't even accurately spell what their owner (sorry, I hate the zoo connotations of "keeper")
wants them to be read as.

Anyone who throws good Ben Franklins away on stuff like that must have the DVLA laughing all the way to the bank. They're pseud as well.

I remem ber Growlette's reaction to this when we were driving in UK and I was attempting to decipher some of what were obviously these "cherished" pieces of nonsense and how you had to pay big money to get them.

"Huh! He thinks that spells his name? How come he can't spell his own language? That guy needs help..."
Personalised plates - Steve S
Aw come on Growler, they have obviously given you something to do if only to sneer. They're harmless fun and people spend their money on worse things (cigarettes? - that'll get the smokers rattled).

I saw POS3R on a 3 series - well anyway it amused me but hey, on the M25 you need something to amuse you.
Personalised plates - M.M
Yes I thought you'd be a bit more "live and let live" about this Growler, you are in so many other areas and seem to be happy with things that otherwise can't be justified....they're just fun.

As someone who sees/drives loads of cars over the year I'm well aware the usefulness and ability of a car is often totally unrelated to its cost/age/mileage but so often folks judge a car absolutely by these factors.

For that reason I find it amusing to throw the age/value part of that equation with a non-dating number. It's also nice to have a continuity of ID throughout the years and vehicle changes.

Our number isn't obviously personal so folks hardly ever comment on it except for the two who read it as "Alfa" and wanted to buy for their Alfa Romeos.

David W
Ah, I have touched a nerve it seems and stumbled into cherishly (!) guarded motoring sancta sanctora where discordant voices sit ill alongside deep conviction. Ok, live and let live as you say, it's your money, your mangled mixture of odd letters and numbers and nice to have one you can remember when you're lost in the car park if you're anywhere near my age. Even better you don't have to suffer the agonies of having last year's edition when the the new one comes out.

Now I see what the true enormity of what I wrought when I flogged BSA A10 RYD 66 for 35 quid, and consigned A35 YKL 87 to a scrapyard for a fee of a fiver all those years ago.

Actually there is a note of hypocrisy here so a spot of self-flagellation may be in order. My UK-based Mustang, of which the buyer takes delivery tomorrow, and for which my daughter in Kent will hold something akin to a wake, has RSU 289 (289 cu. inches)
;=) I swear this was not my idea but the agent who I entrusted with the task of importing and registering the thing a long time ago. I actually wanted FU 2 , but we've been through all that before in these threads.......

Personalised plates - The Watcher
All this talk of using the Police to enforce number plate legality is madness!

Isn't burglary, muggings, and violent crimes against the person far, far more important?

No wonder many of us now have little time for the Police and some people need to get their priorities sorted.
Personalised plates - Dwight Van Driver
Well said Watcher.

Now take the Bible in your right hand, swear after me.

Your now Special Constable 123.

DVD
Well said Watcher.
Now take the Bible in your right hand, swear after me.
Your now Special Constable 123.

Cool! Can any species join?

--
Parp, Parp!

I agree Watcher, which is why I didn't suggest it was a job for the Police but rather another agency (e.g Traffic Wardens). The Police have enough to do.