What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
03 2.0 Intermittent starting problem - Chad.R
I'm having an intermittent problem with starting the car - a '03 TDCI 130 6 speed estate.

Sometimes when you try and start the car, it's as if the ignition key doesn't work i.e. turn the key, nothing happens, the starter doesn't fire, no noise, nothing. The ODO display and trip computer etc. dim momentarily but that's it. If you have tried to start an auto in "Drive", you will know exactly what I mean.

If you switch off and try again, sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. Nothing wrong with the battery from my reckoning because when it does fire, it starts first time.

It's been like this for sevral weeks now only failing once or twice before starting - so I just thought that the ECU was not "ready" or something .......

However last night I had to try for almost 10 minutes before it would start - the engine was warm btw, not that that seems to make any difference to this problem.

This morning it's fine, started first time......

I hope this is not a sign of impending wallet bashing.....

Thanks in advance.
03 2.0 Intermittent starting problem - Antonio
Hi Chad.
I´m having exactly the same problem, my car is a ´03 Duratec V6 petrol automatic sedan, it seems that this problem is not related to the engine and affect other Mondeo models. Mine was built in Belgium and sold in Mexico, where I live.
Have you solved your problem, the Ford Dealer haven´t been able to repair and they seaid it was necessary to replace the main (central) computer, I did not accept because there has to be a different and much unexpensive cause.
Please let me know what happend with your car-
Antonio
03 2.0 Intermittent starting problem - Chad.R
I'm living with the problem at the moment as it hasn't caused me too much bother....

Apparently it could be 2 things: The DMF failing and clogging up the starter motor or the PATS module in the key and/or ignition barrel failing.

I'm going to get a new key coded in the next few days as I only have 1 anyway. So will update if that improves matters.

The DMF thing is going to happen sooner or later so it's only a matter of time.
03 2.0 Intermittent starting problem - Antonio
Hey!!!
Just in case you´d like to know, I have two original keys and in my case, the problem was intermittent with any of them, by now, my car is still in the Ford agency...
Let´s keep updated.
Antonio
03 2.0 Intermittent starting problem - tuffnuts
I have a mondeo ST24 2.5 and on 2 occasions I turned the key and nothing totally dead.
Next to the battery is a black cable with a single wire in it which is an earth and noticed it was hanging by a thread .I replaced the bullet connector on it and perfect ever since.I think but not quite sure but it could be in circuit with the imobilizer.Hope this solves it.

Edited by tuffnuts on 13/06/2009 at 17:21