What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
04 2.0tdci 130 problems - stevie 54
i"ve had most problems that i read on these pages, underheating for 18 months, glowplug light comming on car cutting out,excessive noise from clutch,broken springs,reverse lights not working, windows steaming up badly, new turbo at 59k, new starter at 90k,new clutch at 133k.I used to think i was just unlucky until i started readig some other peoples problems and found they had the same. My cars a taxi so maybe i"ve just had my problems sooner. Anyway i found most of the answers to my problems on these pages. I must admit when my cars going well i like driving it, just wish a new problem didnt arise every six months.Anyway i managed to fix most of the problems myself apart from the turbo (still under warranty) just, And the clutch,i wanted to try it,but the weather was rubbish,so i stuck it in a garage. Anyway would just like to say thanks to all who have posted views as i"ve found some of them to be right on the mark.Especially the guy that discoverd these cars had two thermostats,that problem drove me nuts...

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 06/04/2009 at 22:21

04 2.0tdci 130 problems - theterranaut
It is a good place, got to echo Stevie's thoughts. Thanks to all who take the time to reply-

tt
04 2.0tdci 130 problems - Collos25
The glow plug light coming on is probable due to the egr valve being choked up it needs replacing or at least cleaning there are adaptors on the market that do away with the egr which solve the problem there are two types of egr vavle used the later one having an electrical connection as well as a vacuum pipe. It could of course actually be the glow plugs they are in the circuit all the time even after the car has started.Fortes make a product for "garages only" which will clean the system out it works wonders you need a couple of bottles, with it being a taxi I will bet its well clogged up the turbo also gets clogged impelers but they either work or fail replacement turbos are available on ebay at around £180 if you need one.
04 2.0tdci 130 problems - stevie 54
The problem with the glow plug light comming on and causing the car to cut out all the time, turned out for me to be the crankshaft sensor, When i took it out it was usually coverd in fine metal shavimgs and dust from the clutch,because this sensor sits in the bellhousing and is magnetic thats why i found the fine metal shavings and dust attrcted to it. Once i cleaned the sensor it was usually fine for weeks or months,i found the best stuff to use was methelated spirits. Its the dust and shavings from the flywheel and clutch that give you this problem, ive just got a new ford dual mas flywheel and clutch fitted last week,once the gearbox is removed its amazing how much powder {dust} comes out. No wonder these cars have problems, although ive replaced the clutch and cleaned out the gearbox i dare say i"ll get the same problem further down the line,as theres no way of getting thee dust out without removing the gearbox. I would strongly recommend to anyone who has the glow plug light comming on to clean this sensor first as i have done this for a few other drivers with the same problem and it has always worked so far. To replace the sensor with a new one cost £28 to buy from ford. Thats better than taking youre car to ford and getting told you need a new injector or theres gunge in youre tank and trying to charge you a fortune as they have with some of the guys cars i"ve replaced this part on.