What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
30mph light - Pica
I was loaned a Civic diesel today (very nice) but I could not work out why when you reached 30 mph a ping was sounded and an orange light flashed on the central display saying 30 mph for a few seconds and then went out. The same happened at 60 mph. Nothing in between.

Why, what's the point?

30mph light - Robin Reliant
"Don't lose your licence" lights?

I'd quite like a 30mph one, no matter how careful you are it is so easy to slip into camera triggering territory.

Edited by Robin Reliant on 02/04/2009 at 19:46

30mph light - Pica
I wondered if that was the case but what about 40 and 50 and 70. A friend has just been caught on camera for doing 33 in a 30! in Farnborough, Hants.
30mph light - Old Navy
Cruise control beats speed cameras every time. Sorry I forgot, most of you live in heavy traffic land.
30mph light - Alby Back
Funnily enough....

I have an old style TomTom 700 sat nav. Bought it when they were stupidly expensive but it has paid for itself many times over as I often travel to previously unknown to me destinations both in this country and in mainland Europe.

However, I had begun to notice that as new roads were built it was starting to become less useful as the internal maps were becoming outdated.

Earlier this week I downloaded the latest set of western european maps on to it. The thing though which came as a freebie with the new programme is a facility to have a little warning chime sounding if you stray over the speed limit on any road. You can either set it to do that or just to chime if you exceed a speed which you have personally pre-set. Or indeed you can turn it off altogether if you prefer.

I have set mine to only go off at 80mph as I'm sure I'm pretty good at observing the lower speed limits but can sometimes find that on a long motorway journey my speed can inadvertantly creep up.

Of course I haven't had the opportunity to test whether this particular choice of setting works on a public road.....

;-)
30mph light - piggy
The Fiat Grande Punto has this feature built in and can be set to beep at any speed chosen.I have set mine to 77mph in the hope that Brumstrom`s boys will allow 10% over the limit. Hope springs eternal.....
As someone pointed out,it`s very easy to exceed the limit without trying,even in a slow car like mine.
30mph light - daveyjp
The Civic did this because someone had programmed it to. The limits are turned off or set via the on board computer.
30mph light - grumpyscot
Don't need this in my car - Mother-in-Law does the job for me....!!
30mph light - Kiwi Gary
My antique Navman has facility to set speed warnings. Useful in Europe, I found.

Don't know if it is still in force, but a few years ago in Singapore, commercial vehicles not only had an audible overspeed warning for the driver, but also a flashing amber light on the roof to inform Plod that you were being naughty. The taxi I had from airport to city had one that kept sounding off.
30mph light - Pat12
I have got one. Just press and hold one of the 2 buttons on steering wheel. The sub menu will show up. Then just find notifications.