What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Should dealer repair faults? - horsepills
Hi, I wonder if anyone can offer any advice on this:

I test drove a used (2001) Ford Focus (Automatic) earlier this week, which was for sale at a local independent garage - it was advertised as having "remote central locking" on AutoTrader...

When I test drove the car, the keyfob was missing a battery so the remote part of the central locking didn't work. It appeared to work fine when locking/opening the doors with the key though, so I presumed buying a new battery for the fob would suffice.
After the test drive, I negotiated a price with the dealer and agreed to buy - without warranty. I collected the car today, and paid via MasterCard credit card.

Now having had the chance to spend some time with the vehicle, I've noticed that 1) The "airbag warning light" is permanently on, 2) The handbrake doesn't prevent the car from moving quite freely and 3) the remote central locking does not work (other than making a clunking noise without actually locking any doors). Rather frustratingly, one of the rear doors doesn't lock at all via the remote or via turning the key. The key seems to open/lock all doors except this one - which I have to lock from the inside manually.

I realise these are things I should have picked up on during the test drive, but I'm not that savvy when it comes to buying a car!

I'm prepared to sort the airbag light and the handbrake out myself, but should I expect the dealer to fix the central locking issue for me? (bearing in mind I didn't negotiate any warranty as part of the deal). I personally think he should, considering it was advertised with remote central locking, and I've only had it for a few hours(!) but not sure where I stand legally?

Any help greatly appreciated!
Should dealer repair faults? - Wee Willie Winkie
If it's a dealer then he is legally obliged to correct those faults as they were present when you bought the vehicle. You have statutory rights in law - doesn't matter if you didn't buy a warranty.

Take the car back to him, explain the faults and that you would like him to rectify them.

Cheers,
DB
thanks for the quick reply. couple of more questions then if you're able to answer:

1) Should he be prepared to fix ALL 3 problems?
2) What law should I quote if he gets shirty?!

Thanks
Should dealer repair faults? - bimmer-driver
Agree with above. If a dealer, he must have noticed the faults. Take it back explaining you will park it on his forecourt, leave it there and if the faults aren't sorted in a reasonable time you will require a refund. Any more probs contact Consumer Direct who did me proud when a main dealer mucked me about.
Should dealer repair faults? - bell boy
quote---------After the test drive, I negotiated a price with the dealer and agreed to buy --------------------------unquote

you inspected the vehicle agreed a knock down price and purchased with all faults present
no comeback

you cant have your cake and eat it

traders have to pay bills too thats why we have a sticker price
actually, I paid the full "sticker price" (after some rather pathetic attempts at trying to haggle).

I'm not asking for my "cake and eat it" but thanks for the rude comments anyway - not. If you'd bothered to read my post properly I was merely asking for advice on whether he should reasonably be expected to fix faults to the central locking, which was in his ad as working.

Please don't offer advice if you're going to be rude. I'd rather converse with reasonable people rather than surly know-it-alls posting smart alec comments.

Edited by horsepills on 25/03/2009 at 21:04

Should dealer repair faults? - L'escargot
for advice on whether he should reasonably be expected to fix faults to the central
locking which was in his ad as working.

The wording of all documents is important. Did the advert say that the car had a working central locking system or merely that it had a central locking system? If it was just the latter, then it may have been included just to indicate the specification level of the car.

Edited by L'escargot on 26/03/2009 at 07:01

Should dealer repair faults? - stunorthants26
If you knowingly bought it with a fault and negociated with that in mind, then no - anything that you didnt notice or know about, then yes possibly.
Why though would you agree to no warranty if you are now seeking to claim on it?
Personally, I wouldnt have the front to agree to take a car 'as is' and then crawl back complaining because you missed some faults with it.
Seems downright rude to me - why dont you pay the dealer for the warranty he would have otherwise supplied, then claim for things.
stunorthants26 - I'm not seeking to claim on any warranty, and I'm certainly not going to "crawl back complaining". sheesh - where do you get all of this from? Talk about exaggerating!

Like I said already, I just wanted to know if it's reasonable to ask the dealer to rectify a problem to something that he advertised as working. I have no plans to go back all guns blazing! You've made out that I somehow expect the dealer to sort everything out no questions asked.

You ask for simple advice here, and get shot down in flames! Thanks a lot.
...... I just wanted to know if it's reasonable to ask the
dealer to rectify a problem to something that he advertised as working.

Did the dealer specifically say that the central locking was working or did you just assume that it would be?
Should dealer repair faults? - Sprice
Personally I wouldnt have the front to agree to take a car 'as is' and
then crawl back complaining because you missed some faults with it.
Seems downright rude to me

What rubbish you speak. As far as I'm concerned, buying a car from a garage (I wouldn't personally as it's a rather unpleasant experience) means they're obliged to repair such faults if present.
Should dealer repair faults? - Boss Hog
err most people do that agre a price and then buy. This is not a private sale ot I presume a trade sale. If it's retail sales then the dealer has by law to give a three month warranty.

90% of the public no nothing about cars or what to check so thats why the law protects those people. private sales are different and that is also why buying from traders cost you more.

Bell boy if your in the trade surely you don't expect sell a car and not take take any responsibility afterward, it does not matter if the price was negotiated lower or not unless it is agreed in full and in writng with the buyer that the vehicle is sold as seen and no warranty exists.
boss hog - thanks for the reply.

I bought the car from an independent garage/car trader. The invoice just says "no warranty" or something similar, but there is no mention of the phrase "sold as seen"
Should dealer repair faults? - J1mbo
I bought the car from an independent garage/car trader. The invoice just says "no warranty"
or something similar

AFAIK, its against the law to print or state something which takes away your basic rights. BUT. There sounds more to it, did he write this by hand on the invoice?? TBH, I think the OP has purchased with faults knowingly and is now having second thorughts, so I'm siding with the trader. If you took it for a test run, then you must have noticed the airbag light and the handbrake. You inspected the keyfob before you purchased so I can't believe you did'nt know about the other faults. Sorry! It seems this no warranty was part of the deal.

Fixing the central locking is much easier than airbags so trying to use the trades discription to get the faults fix is a non starter. Again, sorry but that's my view.

James
Should dealer repair faults? - Rattle
The sales of good acts coveres you regardless of how much you paid. It sounds like it has some potentialy dangerious defects, the hand brake could be an MOT failure, the airbag warning light is something or nothing.

A trick some sellers will do is say Trade Sale. However this has no meaning in law unless you proofed to him yuo are trader. If you did not proof you were a trader then you have consumer protection rights.

I had a similar thing happen to me, I went as far as putting a deposit down on a car but then things haunted me in the test drive and I soon realised I was told a load of fibbs. I lost £100 but it was cheaper than loosing a fortune on it. I did see the car near me for a few months afterwards smoking like a steam train (I suspected the HG had gone). Last time I saw it had lots and lots of water pouring out of the back. I later heared a few bad stories about the garage in question.

My dad bought a car which overheated the day after we bought it, there was also a lot of other faults which appeared such as over revving. We knew the seller must have known but as it was a private sale I just fixed what I could myself and got a garage do the rest, in total it was less than £100.

I am siding with the OP here. A 2001 Focus must have cost at least £2k so you have the right to expect the central locking and airbag to work. You do not have the right to take it back over say a small rust patch though
Should dealer repair faults? - meltonlad
i test drove a second hand car other day and problems i found was airbag light on, handbrake travel to far, a dodgy header tank sensor, bold spare, after talking money the car dealer said that he will fix all the above plus service and 3 months warranty and even a full valet. i will be checking them all again tomorrow when i collect and before i hand over my cash....
Thanks for the replies. I guess this will teach me not to be so naive next time!

James - yes, I did take it for a "test drive", but this is only the 2nd car I've ever bought and I'm not mechanical at all. I should have noticed the problem with the handbrake, but I test drove it on straight roads. It was only on my drive home with the car after I purchased it that I realised (on a hill!) that the handbrake didn't function properly.
As for the airbag warning light - I either didn't notice this on the test, or it has come on since my test.

Like I said earlier, I know I *should* have spotted these faults earlier, but through inexperience/naivety/stupidity, I didn't. I'm not having "second thoughts" or anything - I still want to keep the car. I just wanted to know if it's reasonable to expect the trader to fix the problems I mentioned. Sounds like the only way I will know is to ask - so I will!
Horsepills

Let me get this straight! You saw a car advertised by a local independent dealer and he said he woould not drop the sticker price and they also said to you that they would not give you any warranty on the car???

Thats unusaul in a retail sale, and myself I wouldn't bother, you might as well look privatley as the generaly the pont of using an independent is to have a degree of protection (warranty).

The diffculty here is if the trader says the faults were there when you bought it and it;s in writing that the faults were there you screwed but I think a court would ask when what in the firat place in a retail gargage selling a car with faults like faulty handbrake and airbag system as if thats aceptable.

I would say that you do have recourse here. Problem you have is time and energy sorting it out which sometimes is what th trader is relying on for for you not to bother.

Mind you it does sound a little foolish of you not to ask about the airbag or locking or handbrake before you handed over the cash.
Boss hog - yes, I "handed over the cash" (i.e. paid by credit card) without asking about the faults - but only because I hadn't noticed them until afterwards!

The dealer didn't say he wouldn't give me a warranty - I simply did not ask for one, as I was told by a friend that warranties "aren't worth the paper they are written on"......

Stupid me, I know now!
Should dealer repair faults? - rtj70
I'm prepared to sort the airbag light

I'd be more concerned about the air bag light. If it is on the airbags will not be working at all. It could need new airbags even. Which are likely to cost more than the car is worth.

If you're happy to have no working airbags then you will be fine. They will not go off accidentally. They will never go off at all.
Should dealer repair faults? - PBB
Definately get the dealer to repair all faults. Irrespective of whether you bought a warranty, the faults existed at point of sale.

A warranty covers future faults, but anything in existence when you bought the car is not a warranty issue - they were pre-existing defects that need to be corrected

However, I made a mistake on this-

I bought a car 4 years ago that turned out to have numerous faults.

The dealer was a sullen could not be bothered with life idiot - and that was when he was selling me the car. It should have been my warning!

I ended up having to insist that the safety related ones were fixed in exchange for me fixing the non-safetly related ones myself

In hindsight, I was an utter mug and am still kicking myself.

Try to strike up a friendly but professional relationship with the dealer. Put all requests in writing and be polite but insistent

Finally, do put your foot down while you can. In 6 months, it will be far too late and you'll just end up angry with yourself....like I was.

Should dealer repair faults? - adverse camber
Boss hog - yes I "handed over the cash" (i.e. paid by credit card) without
asking about the faults - but only because I hadn't noticed them until afterwards!

This is your trump card. You paid by credit card - the credit card company is jointly liable.

Read up on your rights re consumer credit - or talk to cab/trading standards and get the info.
I would go talk to the dealer (when did you buy btw?), ask that he fixes the faults or gives a full refund. In the event that he refuses then follow the cab/trading standards advice.

Personally I would be leaving the car with him and having the credit card company refund me.

Edited by adverse camber on 26/03/2009 at 16:13

ive written 5 replies to this thread but being a dealer to someone all would be wrong
so
caveat umpar

is always my answerr in such situations

soon be sunglasses on a string and shorts though :-)
Welcome back BB :-) You've not been around for a bit.
Welcome back BB :-) You've not been around for a bit.

thanks
its hard selling second hand 8 year old fords so ive been pretty busy :-)
its hard selling second hand 8 year old fords so ive been pretty busy :-)

BB, Rattle might be interested. And I am serious. You won't know Rattle.
caveat umpar? yes, thanks bell boy. I just hope my dealer is more sympathetic/moral than you are. I'm hoping he is willing to fix something he advertised as working in his advertisement. Doesn't seem too unreasonable to me, but clearly if I'd bought the car from you, you'd have knowingly sold me a defective product and would no doubt be telling me to do one! Fortunately for me, I don't often have to deal with unscrupulous traders such as yourself.

Edited by horsepills on 25/03/2009 at 22:50

horseypills i sort my cars prior to sale down to the last detail,im willing to listen to reason and pride myself on having repeat business,however i know a customer that wants to cut corners from experiance
you put the bits in your posts that would refrain me from selling you a car
there may be a recession out there but i have a reputation to keep
i sell to customers that reach my expectation
unfortunately you dont reach that
no offence
honestly
bell boy - I'm sorry I don't meet your lofty expectations as a customer. Woe betide any laymen who do try and do business with you - you obviously don't tolerate inexperience.
bell boy - I'm sorry I don't meet your lofty expectations as a customer. Woe
betide any laymen who do try and do business with you - you obviously don't
tolerate inexperience.
selling is a two way experiance like meeting a beautiful woman
If I was a car dealer I would make sure everything works. It is a bit different but I rarely (very rarely) will sell a second hand computer, before I do I complete diagnostics on it so I know when its sold it is in perfect condition if the hard drive fails 4 months later in my mind all mechanical things fail so I would not feel bad about it.

If the dealer had to compromise his level of service in offering you this car cheaper he should have refused to sell it you in the first place, cutting corners results in a bad reputation.

Hopefully the dealer will put things right.
rattle you are spot on till the last line
you sell to jo public as i do
op says he negotiated a price then tels me he paid sticker price
we both know thats balderdash
he wants microsoft 2007 word off you
he wants a tank of petrol off me
neither of us can do that in blairs britain
everybody wants it cheaper cheaper cheaper
at no extra cost

cant be done
Bell boy while agree you have to make money the law does appear to see things differently. If this was your car would you have sold it knowing it had these faults without mentioning them?

There is a Focus on ebay atm being sold by a very respectable dealer and the auction add states "has a fault in the fact it smokes slightly when hot although this is barely noticable" this will probably cause problems down the line and the dealer has choosen to mention it so the seller cannot come crying in 6 months time for a new engine.

The biggest thing I have learnt from my business is cheap customers are not worth it.
in your post rattle you mention auction,thats a different world
the law states in this country that if you view a product claim to know what you are doing and knock the vendor on price thn you are in the trade
dont care if its dead budgies or space ships
i meet dave down the pubs every day that used to deal motors but had to give it up because they were crap and their wives left them for some banker
anyway back to the plot
i agree cheap customers are best avoided,i reckon i could sell 40 500 pound cars with a full mot full road tax,fully documented service history and a free nodding dog every week,unfortunately i then wake up and find that ive fallen out of bed

you know the drill? :-)
Should dealer repair faults? - Pugugly
We've have missed you BB !
bell boy - I offered less than the sticker price and the dealer said no, so I offered full price because I liked the car. Is that so difficult to believe??
Im amazed that people expect an 8 year old car to be completely fault-free just because they buy from a dealer BUT want a good deal too.
There is a big difference between something like ECU failure and a remote fob not working - eg ECU failure soon after buying is something to complain about, a c/locking fob not working is quite common on cars of this age and therefore having expectations way beyond what is often reality.

I feel for the dealers selling cars like this, infact bravo to them for even bothering.
stunorthants26 - please stop putting words into my mouth. This is the second time you've done it. I never once suggested that I expected the car to be "completely fault-free" - the exact opposite is true. I do however expect that something advertised as working in an autotrader advert, should actually work! It's as simple as that. You seem intent on implying that I want the car to be perfect.

It's not just the "remote fob not working" - I also stated that one of the doors does not function at all via central locking, but you've obviously not read my posts properly anyway SNIP - personal insult deleted

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 26/03/2009 at 00:39

Should dealer repair faults? - the swiss tony
If I was a car dealer I would make sure everything works.

Then you would either never sell a car, or never make a profit on any cars you sold.
As someone has said to you in another thread, there are very few cars with no issues...
as cars age, they will always gain defects, it is very rare that all defects will be put right, as the economics of doing so just dont stack up - unless you are talking of something very special!

Without being rude, Rattle, this is something you need to learn, there is no such thing as a perfect car, you will have to learn to live with faults, or as I prefer to call them, part of the cars character!
My old car had lots of faults which did not put me off inc the rear screen heater which did not work solution? Get out and wipe it with a cloth.

Tbh if I bought a £2k car and an electric window was not working then so what? Its a problem but it can be fixed, however if I bought a £2k car which had safety defects such as an airbag light I would be fuming. I know no car is perfect, but in accordance of the law at least expect it to be more than capable of passing an MOT and in this case it sounds like the OPs car probably will pass an MOT with those faults.

As far as I see it the central locking is not an issue but the airbag light is.

If I am paying a dealer £500 for a car I am paying that extra money because they have added value by checking the car is safe and making into a saleable condition otherwise what is the point in car traders? If there is no added value we would all buy privately.
Should dealer repair faults? - Blue {P}
I'm almost tired of saying this now, but the law only entitles you to goods that are in satisfactory condition so please don't read into some of the rubbish quoted above about dealers giving 3 month warrantys by law etc.

I would try asking the dealer to rectify the faults in a calm and professional way, hopefully they will play ball.

If they don't, you will have to take them to court and persuade a judge that the faults you want fixing are unreasonable on an 8 year old Ford Focus. IMO you may get somewhere with the handbrake fault as this is clearly a safety issue that would cause an MOT failure, you may at a push get somewhere with the airbag but I doubt it, and you don't stand a chance IMO with the central locking.

If I were to just get a local independent garage to fix the faults - any idea how much I'm looking at?
Blue I agree with you here, the central locking is one of them things you reasonable expect to go wrong on a car this age (my dads is always a bit iffy, there is knack to using it or it will go into a continious locking for 5 minutes) but I do think there is an issue with the airbag as its safety related.

Maybe the OP should just ask the dealer to fix the airbag and hand brake and forget the central locking? This may make the OP seem more reasonable to the dealer.
The airbag warning light could cost thousands to fix. Seriously.
Should dealer repair faults? - jbif
I've only had it for a few hours(!) but not sure where I stand legally? Any help greatly appreciated! >>

horsepills: read HJ's FAQ no 5 [FAQs are accessed from tab at top right of this page ].
There you will find links to official Government documents on the law. Read those carefully and digest them to understand your statutory rights, which cannot be taken away by any trader.

Backroom members give their opinions freely here, but unless you know their background and qualifications, their opinions are just as valid as anything else written by anyone who joins a forum and who may be able to barely just read and/or write.

So read those opinions with care and do not set your stall by them. Especially if they are written by interested other parties such as traders. ;-)

thanks jbif
horsepills,

Two members have offered advice above and you have had a go at them. Can you refrain from this or this thread may be locked or even removed.

Thanks

Rob (Moderator)
horsepills, Two members have offered advice above and you have had a go at them. ...>>

I saw it as others having a go at horsepills!

When two tribes go to war, one is all that you can score, ...
Rob - this seems unreasonable to me. I had a go at 2 responders because their "advice" consisted of misquotes and/or insulting remarks. I've thanked the rest where appropriate. Feel free to lock the thread though, if defending oneself is not allowed.
Should dealer repair faults? - Dynamic Dave
Feel free to lock the thread though if defending oneself is not allowed.

By all means defend yourself, but do so without the personal insults towards people.

DD (one of the other moderators)
what is the point in car traders? If there is no
added value we would all buy privately.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> nail on head
i look on average at 2000 cars a week,seriously,i buy what i think is the best,unfortunately to get most hits on autotrader i have to advertise as 1x1 adverts
when the phone rings 50% of callers are depressed to hear im a garage even though i put my trading name offer full facilities and its says trade
if its under 2 grand most people want to buy off an old lady thats cleaned it and only had a vicar as a passenger
the reality is that most people in this country dont want to pay me for my time and experiance and prefer to think a private sale by a fleecing dodgy on the dole smoking waster is the answer to a good deal

see you in court OP
you will lose by the way reading your previous posts where you wiggle weave and say no but yes but no
bell boy - I really don't understand your comments. I made it pretty clear in my original post that I am prepared to fix 2 out of the 3 faults I mentioned myself. The only fault I expect the dealer to address is the central locking, because it was advertised as working.

In every post since then I have reiterated that I am only asking about the central locking issue. Can you please clarify where you feel I have "wiggle weaved and said no but yes but no"??? I honestly don't understand why you feel I've been unreasonable
horsepills,

The airbag problem could cost more than the car is worth to fix. Seriously. If you ignore this problem I am a little surprised. I had an airbag light come on a car under warranty and apart from hundreds of pounds for parts that did not fix the problem they spend dozens of hours.

Go back to the supplier.

And if you have a technical question then post it in the technical forum.

Rob (Moderator)
Rob, thanks. I didn't think much to the airbag light until now because I was told by someone that it is likely to be a loose connection under the seat! I know feel a bit differently about it!
Could be anything including accident damage. If they do fix it I know it sounds obvious but make sure the light comes on for a few seconds when you switch the ignition on, if it doesn't they have just disconnected the bulb.
I could tell you how much effort my Passat (in warranty) had with airbag warning light. A precise:

- Original garage thought the slip ring... replaced.... light came on within 2 miles.
- Lots of other ideas.... I went elsewhere.
- Slip ring
- Wiring harness connected to airbag - light on again before I left the car park
: you get the idea

Eventually the inside of the car stripped down and driven for a few weeks by a member of staff until the light came on. It didn't.

By some guess work and another Passat with a similar problem some wiring bypassed. Light never came on but who knows.

Okay my car had 6 airbags but it must have cost close to £1k in time alone.

Edit: but it could be a loose connector under the seat if it has side airbags. Mine was a problem with the wiring loom in the passenger footwell. But the fix was guess work. It may have come back as a fault.

Edited by rtj70 on 26/03/2009 at 00:00

Should dealer repair faults? - Mapmaker
>>horsepills, Two members have offered advice above and you have had a go at them

But RTJ, you know as well as I do that the "advice" they have offered is of no value whatsoever, so he has rightly ignored it and said so. HJ's FAQs, as indicated by jbif, disagree with bellboy's suggestions.

To OP: How much did you pay for the car? What sort of a dealer - did he have a forecourt? The airbag light will be an MOT fail; the car will have to be scrapped if it cannot be fixed easily. The handbrake is probably an easy job, and so he should fix that too.

It is ILLEGAL for *anybody* to sell an unroadworthy car. Local trading standards would be delighted to hear about it should the handbrake issue turn out to represent unroadworthiness.

Anyway, get this sorted asap before you drive more miles and he can argue that you have damaged it yourself.

Almost certainly the best way of resolving this is for him to refund you your money and to take the car back.
Should dealer repair faults? - DP
Even the thoroughly shonky and thankfully now defunct car supermarket where I bought my mk2 Mondeo a few years back didn't baulk at safety related stuff. They broke every other promise made to me during the sale, and bodged a cambelt change so badly I had to redo it myself months later, but they fixed the headlight and idle speed faults they delivered the car without too much hassle.

Trading standards come down like a ton of bricks on this kind of thing, and the sharks know it. Go back, be polite, but be firm.

I would also suggest buying privately if you get a refund. There's no point paying dealer margins as at this level of the market they invariably treat you like crap if you go back anyway. Get the same car for less, or a newer car for the same - just HPI it and take a car minded friend with you. I've spent £16k privately in the last 3 years, and not regretted it for a second.
The airbag light will be an MOT fail

Airbags aren't part of the MOT test (yet)

www.motuk.co.uk/manual/contents.htm

I might hazard a guess that the Trader was well aware that the Airbag Light was on and most likely has already checked to see if it's an easily rectified problem.

The fact that it has been left with out being fixed before it went on sale is an indication to me that the problem is not cheap to repair.

What was the MOT on the car? Usually if it is less than 6 months the Trader will put a new one on and don?t think it would pass with the light on. (It may stand corrected on this).

I agree central locking not working leave it, Trader may have not known.

Hand brake can be fixed for not a lot.

Airbag, take it to Ford for an estimate only. Try and check if the vehicle has been involved in an accident, see if you can get in touch with previous owner.

My experience with small traders is that they don't make much on the cars so they needed to buy at the cheapest rates and if they have to fix things afterward it eats into profits so much that they try and avoid fixing afterward unless they really have to.

Not all are like this I'm sure
If it's retail sales then the dealer has by law to give a three month warranty. >>

To Boss Hog:
You said [ at Wed 25 Mar 09 21:08 ] that "dealer has by law to give a three month warranty " .
Really? Which law is that? Can you please clarify.
In my opinion, that is just a myth.

To everyone:
The law that applies is given in HJ's FAQ no. 5
How that law is interpreted, and whose interpretation you believe, is a matter for the two tribes going to war. But before they go to war, IMO, the best bet usually is for the consumer to go to the dealer and politely reject the car [as per HJ's FAQ] and/or ask for the defects to be put right.

IMO: The FAQ and all its links are worth reading to the fullest extent before jumping to any conclusions. Some posts above [eg. advice to contact Consumer Direct and/or Trading Standards ] are on the right track. I repeat my caution: Anyone can join an open forum and spout all kinds of nonsense [myself included in that], and so be careful who you believe to be right.

To paraphrase Mapmaker, you have to check whether ""advice" they have offered is of any value whatsoever.

Edited by jbif on 26/03/2009 at 11:30

Actually I stand corrected there is No LAW to say the Trader must give 3 months, It is general practice however.

You are covered under the Sale of Goods Act and the vehicle does have to be fit for purpose.

My opinion (not law) is that a faulty or possible faulty air bag does not make the car fit for purpose.

Thank you JBIF for clarifying the warranty aspect.

Anyway good luck and I hope you can get a result.

Should dealer repair faults? - bonzodog
Hi Horsepills, sorry to hear about your problems. I guess you've been getting a bit of flack mainly because of the way it came across in your OP - that you negotiated a price to buy the car with no comeback, then wanted some comeback! Obviously your later posts corrected this.

Whilst the law is somewhat vague on what rights you have in practice (depends on age, mileage, price, price in relation to similar cars etc etc) if you have paid the advertised price for the car from a dealer & the faults are clearly present at purchase I would suggest the courts would find in your favour.

It is likely the dealer removed the battery from the key fob because the CL was not working, otherwise for a few pence he could have demonstrated that it was working thus making an 8 year old car more saleable. As others have said, the handbrake & air-bag warning lights are clearly safety issues.

My advice (for what it's worth) - go back to the dealer & ask him nicely to rectify the faults (with a loan car thrown in, as this will help him to get the job done quickly). If he says NO, then demand he does saying you will go to trading standards otherwise. If he still says NO - go to trading standards with a copy of your invoice AND the dealer's advert.

Good luck
Should dealer repair faults? - bathtub tom
I've ignored this thread, until I realised it pulled BB out of hibernation - a hearty welcome back.

I've nothing to add, except it crossed my mind the OPs dealer might be a lorry driver. Now that should really set BB off.;>)

I'm looking forward to BB being Rattled.
Should dealer repair faults? - Lud
I wouldn't bother about the airbags. Belts are all right and you aren't going to crash are you? Just get the light turned off. By 'sticker price' I imagine you don't mean top dollar by main dealer standards?

Similarly, why do you care about the remote locking? Nasty troublesome device it can be I understand. Still might be an easy repair though. But the non-locking rear door is a nuisance. Again it might be an easy repair, but it's a bit of a pain, and potentially insecure, to have central locking on three doors only. I would ask the seller to fix that.

I would say, too, it's unfortunate that you have taken offence. bell boy, who has been absent for too long and been much missed, is very informative but his discourse, while poetic, is imbued with the harsh wisdom of the market. It's possible he has misjudged you but he has sold lots of secondhand Fords. No need to take things to heart. Indeed you will suffer if you do, as there are several quite acerbic individuals who post here.
Obviously the seller should make the handbrake work too. That's an MoT fail and the car shouldn't have been sold in that state.
Should dealer repair faults? - Clk Sec
>>Personally I would be leaving the car with him and having the credit card company refund me.

Not a bad idea.

Some years ago I put a four figure deposit on a new car which was promised within six weeks. Three months later after much hassle I asked for my deposit to be returned, infact I asked several times before contacting my my credit card company. The full amount appeared on my next statement.

I hope bell boy's return in permanent!

Clk Sec
Thanks for all of your replies.

An update........I wasn't able to get to the dealer's forecourt today, so I called him and explained the faults. I said I was prepared to fix the handbrake myself, but asked if he could fix the airbag light & the central locking. He said he would take a look at the handbrake light and was 99.9% certain it is a "switch under the seat". I'm not so sure about this, but I'm willing to live with the fault if it's not an easy fix.

When I asked him if he would fix the central locking, his response was "er.....probably not". I then explained that as the car was advertised with "remote central locking" and I paid his full asking price for the car, I felt he should at least fix this one fault with the car. His response was "all I can do is find out how much it will cost to repair the fault and you can decide if you want to pay for it".
I do want to get the central locking fixed, as the door that doesn't work is the rear passenger side where I put my son into his child seat.

In other words, rather unsurprisingly, he doesn't want to know. I'm now in two minds as to whether to just take it on the chin and try to get it repaired myself, or whether to just insist he fixes the handbrake & airbag light on grounds of safety - and threaten trading standards if he refuses.
I'm really not sure where I'll get by insisting he fixes the faults.

Edited by horsepills on 26/03/2009 at 17:10

No one has asked, horsepills, whether the car is presentable in the more important ways: straight bodywork, wheels and tyres not too scarred, engine and main running gear in decent nick and adjustment, all that. How does it drive, stop and go round corners, does it smoke and and is its thirst about par for the course (not that frugal if it's an automatic)?

If it's all right in all those ways, and the price was a lowish dealer price, it is worth turning off the airbag light and getting the handbrake fixed. Apply the childproof lock on the rear door and keep it permanently locked while you get your courage up to tinker with it. Never mind the remote, it's just a toy.

There is an art to owning old cars as well as buying them. It consists of living with the imperfections you knew they would have in the first place, and fixing first the ones that are most difficult to live with.

'The best is the enemy of the good'. If it's basically a decent motor, keep it.
Should dealer repair faults? - Andrew-T
In other words, rather unsurprisingly, he doesn't want to know.

It's not nice being told that if you want that car to be put in proper shape you will have to pay more. I think you must decide whether it has enough other attractions to be worth fixing - perhaps somewhere else by a pleasanter trader - or if it's not, demanding a full refund. That decision should be made asap.

I have bought a few 8-10-year-old cars from lower-end traders, but only after spending a good half-hour looking under and behind everything I could get at. I then made an offer which I hoped was somewhere between derisory and miserly, intending to deal with any problems I had found myself. But never pay the screen price, because the trader has presumably chosen that to give him a worthwhile profit, with some spare to pay for any unduckable problems which appear. If he has done his homework he should know about those, but he may well prove most reluctant to do anything. If so, Trading Standards may be worth a visit.
Should dealer repair faults? - Stevieboy
You said you paid for it by Mastercard - if this was a Credit card then give the dealer another chance to fix it all - then put a dispute in with Mastercard. They'll freeze the funds - the dealer won't get a penny till you say it's all sorted.

Mastercard will be able to give you advice - you'll probably need to write a few letters so they have evidence ...

Plus take photographs / or video everything that's not working. You cannot have too much evidence ...
I appreciate the advice Stevieboy - but the faults I'm not happy about are an airbag light, handbrake not working & the central locking not working. On a £2k car, is it really worth all the hassle of writing many letters, photographs & video for these faults??

Don't get me wrong, I am unhappy with the dealer & think he should take some responsibility - I'm just not sure how far I'm willing to pursue all of this.

Edited by horsepills on 26/03/2009 at 20:04

Should dealer repair faults? - Stevieboy
£2k is a lot of money - if it were me I'd persue it. Only you can be sure what you want to do.

BTW have a look under the front seats - the connector for the seat-belt tensioners may have come undone due to a valet - and that can cause the airbag light.
Should dealer repair faults? - ruggedtoast
I've just been lurking here and registered to reply to the comment about the Mastercard.

A credit card doesnt give you very many rights when buying second hand goods compared to new. Other than to give you a comeback if you dont actually receive them, or if they were grossly missold, they're unlikely to champion your cause for faults once received.

Unfortunately I suspect Mastercard wont be very interested in this issue, though it may scare the seller a bit if you mention it.

I bought a £2k used car and got a 3 month warranty though I didnt really expect the dealer to honour it. The regulations seem very ambiguous at best. I did expect everything to work when I bought it though.
I then explained that as the car was advertised with "remote central locking" and
I paid his full asking price for the car I felt he should at least
fix this one fault with the car.

You still haven't told us whether the advert said that the central locking was fully functioning, or just that the car had central locking fitted. I think this point is important.

Edited by L'escargot on 27/03/2009 at 06:31

it was an autotrader ad, which just listed "remote central locking" as one of the features. It did not say "working" or "broken" but surely it's sensible to assume that when people list these details they are suggesting that they work?!
Otherwise someone could theoretically list a car with *nothing* that works at all, and just list all of the extras it should have when fixed! We'd have a situation where buyers looking at autotrader ads wouldn't be able to determine cars with working features or broken ones.

I would expect faulty extras to be listed as such, or at least omitted from the Ad.

I must admit, whenever ive sold a car with faults on features such as central locking, ive not listed them if they dont work, especially things like aircon which can be expensive to fix.

Makes me so glad I dont buy from such people. Hope you get some sort of result with one or more of the features.
You still haven't told us whether the advert said that the central locking was fully
functioning or just that the car had central locking fitted. I think this point is
important.

I am sure this point is glad to hear somebody does... When did you last see a car advertised with "working power steering, working diesel engine, working electric windows, working 4 nearly new tyres"

Anyway, to cut through some of the rubbish on here (as OP seems quite capable of doing) note:

Traders cannot state ?no refunds?. www.tradingstandards.gov.uk/advice/problemswithgoo...m

If you bought your second hand car with a credit card or with credit provided by the dealer, the card company or credit provider is jointly liable with the dealer for any breach of contract, so you can also claim from them. If the credit company refuses your claim, you could then take the matter to the Financial Ombudsman Service.
www.which.co.uk/advice/your-rights-buying-second-h...p

I've just been to see the dealer again. To summarise:

1) He won't fix the central locking
2) He won't fix the airbag light (which isn't a problem with a switch under seat)
3) He will adjust the handbrake so it works

He's said the airbag light is not an MOT fail, so he's not concerned about it.

ALSO - when I drove the car back to work just now, I discovered that the Electric window at the drivers side has now failed aswell! It's just stopped working.....absolutely nothing happens when I activate the switch.... It was working when I picked it up, and now it doesn't.

*SIGH*

Should dealer repair faults? - nortones2
I think the airbag is not an MOT item: www.motester.co.uk/mot-qanda2.html

However, it may be on because the airbags have been set off. If so, has the car had a crunch? Perhaps you should have the car and chassis checked out.
I mentioned further up the thread that airbags aren't part of the MOT test. However, it would interesting to know what your insurance company thought about a safety device that wasn't working on the car. The car has an NCAP rating which goes part way towards the insurance group that they put it in. It *could* well increase the premium you have to pay, or failure to declare it *could* well make your insurance void.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 27/03/2009 at 14:05

Should dealer repair faults? - boxsterboy
My 2p worth.

Why did the OP pay full sticker price and not get the warranty??
>>Why did the OP pay full sticker price

Why not?

>>and not get the warranty??

No warranty would cover him for pre-existing conditions. Most of these warranties are pretty much worthless anyway and certainly would not have covered the handbrake.
Should dealer repair faults? - yorkiebar
The handbrake issue is the only 1 any warranty "should" cover, its almost certainly a non roadworthy condition.

Airbag lights are "iffy" on roadworthiness, and central locking is definite no.

I would expect handbrake to be sorrted without issue, and a compromise might be the best solution on the other items.

Arguing soga is unlikely to get more than the handbrake fixed. Seller is likely to pint out that purchaser was well aware of faults, reflected in the selling price and therefore no repair is covered.

Handbrake, airbag lights and key condition should be easily apparant at any point of the sale/test.

Buyer has to take some responsibility too

Should dealer repair faults? - bonzodog
Seller is likely to
pint out that purchaser was well aware of faults>>

But according to the OP, he wasn't.

And if it is advertised as with CL then it should have it in good working order
It does not have working central locking let alone remote central locking. It needs fixing.
an autotrader ad automatically lists all the features of a car once you input its registration mark

Edited by bell boy on 27/03/2009 at 19:37

>>an autotrader ad automatically lists all the features of a car once you input its registration mark

Thanks for yet another pearl of wisdom bell boy ;) A form which pre-fills information for you is no excuse for listing features which are broken/faulty. You can remove anything that's not applicable/accurate by simply clicking the "edit web text" button.
The dealer has agreed to fix the (now faulty) electric window and the hand brake. He's taken a look at the airbag light but is unable to quickly identify the fault. I have agreed to get that looked at myself, and to fix the central locking issue at my expense too.

I had hoped that the dealer would have sorted all of the faults, but accept that he has a living to make too. I also accept that some of the responsibility is mine, because I should have noticed these issues when I test drove the car - like I said though, I am not experienced in this sort of thing so I made mistakes.

I certainly didn't "want my cake and eat it" or "wiggle weave and say no but yes but no" as some people (i.e. bell boy) have suggested.
Should dealer repair faults? - mustangman
Just a small point. I used to have a 1.6 tdci Focus with rear drum brakes.

The brakes & indeed the handbrake were allways poor. The handbrake needed a really hard pull to hold the car on anything of a slope. IMHO the brakes shoes lining material is far too hard and gives no "bite" atall.

If the handbrake has run out of travel its easy to adjust. Just gently prise up the back of the bit of plastic that the gaiter sits in. Once free you can pull this up & you will see a single adjusting nut. 12 a/f If I recall. You can give this a few turns to take up any undue slack.
Thanks mustangman. The hand brake on this one does not hold the car at all on a slope, no matter how hard I pull it up. It barely has any bite at all.

I'm sure it's an easy fix, but the dealer has now agreed to do this.
Should dealer repair faults? - nortones2
Re BB interesting and helpful insight into publications of this sort. Perhaps Auto-trader should state prominently that 'The list of features is for this model when supplied new, and is a theoretical construct for sales purposes only. If you wish to buy this car, you should check, or have a competent person check that each and every material feature is still functional, before entering a contract" I assume Auto-trader does not warn against deliberate or inadvertent misrepresentation, nor that the ad contains disclaimers of a similar nature. If that is the case, the buyer should be able to rely on the inferred claim that the features highlighted are actually still working:)

Edited by nortones2 on 27/03/2009 at 20:21

interestingly nortones i have given autotrader 3 feedbacks in the last 12 months and 2 of these have indeed been taken up and acted on for the good of all
the only one i want them to do now is go back to 1978 prices where an advert was 7/6p :-0