What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
02 1.6 heat shield falling off - gadgee
The heat shield under my Focus which protects the fuel tank area from the rear exhaust silencer has partly come away and is hanging down. My local independent says they will have a go at re-securing it, or remove it completely if it cannot be repaired. They say that it is not really necessary. I am worried because it protects the fuel tank. Has anyone else come across this please?
02 1.6 heat shield falling off - Simon
Don't quote me on it, but I think that this is not an uncommon problem by any means.
Posted on forffocusowners site as well. I may be wrong in my statement that it protects the fuel tank - could be that it protects the spare wheel area. Some do not bother replacing it seems??
02 1.6 heat shield falling off - mfarrow
The part itself should only be about £15.

If you can, I'd replace the holding bolts with some stainless ones, and apply some grease to the mating surface of the bolt/washer to try and prevent future corrosion.
02 1.6 heat shield falling off - mikej
My heat shield started coming away because the holes that had developed were larger than the the studs that secured it to the bodywork. I simply removed the studs, inserted some large washers and replaced the studs, which then held the washers and heat shield in place.

I couldn't see any way of actually replacing the heat shield without dropping the exhaust - if your's is due for replacement, then you might want to consider replacing the heat shield at the same time if the washer trick doesn't work.
Thanks for your responses, My local independent who has served me well in the past has removed the shield and not charged me, saying that the fitting was an overkill by Ford! So I trust we will not go up in flames!