What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
02 3.2 False 'bulb blown' warning. - guygamps
Hi

the on board diagnositcs on my CLK 320 report that a rear light bulb is blown, but when I check, all rear lights are working fine,

the display says it is running on a reserve bulb,

is that correct, do Mercs have back-up bulbs. can't be bothered fixing a problem that doesn't exist, it could quite happily run like this for years - all lights working but I would love to clear the error display from the dashboard

Also... occasionally it tells me the rear number plate bulb is out, but again when I go and check, it isn't it is fine... this info message has come up 2 to 3 times in 3 months, since the bulbs are all good, the reporting of the error intermittent, the "area" of issue broadly the same (rear lighting) I am actuually wondering if the diagnostic system is faulty not any of the bulbs.

Can it be reset?

Also... need a new indicator / multi function stalk fitted, the current one does not stay in position when indicating - dealer quoted me huge £££, any suggestions?

Edited by Pugugly on 21/03/2009 at 16:26

2002 3.2 Electrical problem (minor but irritating) - elekie&a/c doctor
The lighting system fitted to these is electronically and logic controlled.If a bulb fails the system automatically uses an alternative filament in the bulb cluster.The only way to check what is happening ,is to remove the lampholders from the rear of the lamps,turn on the lights and see which filament is not working.On some of these the bulbs cannot be replaced individually and so a new bulb plate has to be bought.The only re-set procedure is to turn lights off then on when all bulbs are working correctly.As for the stalk fault,i think the part is only avaiable from M/b.Fitting should be around 1 hr .Use a good independent.hth
2002 3.2 Electrical problem (minor but irritating) - Bagpuss
Try Ebay for the indicator stalk:

tinyurl.com/dx7rwv

02 3.2 False 'bulb blown' warning. - the swiss tony
check that all the bulbs are correct wattage, and/or correct type.
also use decent quality bulbs, the warning system doesnt like cheap and nasty bulbs.