What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
British Motor show cancelled - henry k
The 2010 British International Motor Show has been cancelled due to the global economic crisis, the organisers have announced.

Organisers claim the event could return when the economy picks up, but that?s unlikely. The SMMT recently closed its exhibitions department and industry sources say now is a good time to bury an event that has been in terminal decline for years.

British Motor show cancelled - oldtoffee
I've always fancied going to the motor shows in Geneva or Paris. A bit nearer the time I'll see if I can build/wangle it into a holiday or break.
British Motor show cancelled - Nickdm
No great surprise really. As with other industry sectors, Marketing budgets are being slashed, and in any case I'm sure that the car manufacturers are tired of paying through the nose to the show organisers for square footage in the exhibition hall.

In any case, who really buys their car(s) at the Show? Most purchasers trot along to the network of showrooms, after using the good old interweb of course. Exhibitions are a dinosaur business, like High St travel agents, and will scarcely be missed.
British Motor show cancelled - daveyjp
"In any case, who really buys their car(s) at the Show?"

They dont sell cars at the show, so it is difficult to buy(!), but I bought an A2 after a visit to the Motorshow, which is what it is about - seeing lots of new cars in one place.
British Motor show cancelled - L'escargot
I went once and thought it was a waste of time and money. I can find out all I need to know about new cars from What Car? magazine, manufacturers' catalogues, and car showrooms.

Edited by L'escargot on 19/03/2009 at 15:20

British Motor show cancelled - drbe
Raises the question - why do the French and the Germans still find their Motor Shows to be a viable proposition?

Coupled with - why have the French and the Germans got a viable motor industry producing cars that we recognise as French and German?

What have we got? The crumbs that have fallen from other nation's tables.
British Motor show cancelled - J Bonington Jagworth
"I can find out all I need to know about new cars from What Car? magazine, manufacturers' catalogues, and car showrooms"

Wot! Not here?
British Motor show cancelled - Brentus
It really is a shame. For those of you who have never been to the British motor show it relly is a good day out. My lad often says remember when we went dad. I have to be honest and say i was dissapointed when it moved to London. The NEC at Birmingham was a great venue and much more easily accesable than London. especially if you were going by car. I hope it does come back but cant see that now. I also wish it would come back to Brum.
British Motor show cancelled - Altea Ego
I went once and thought it was a waste of time and money. I can
find out all I need to know about new cars from What Car? magazine manufacturers'
catalogues and car showrooms.

I find a test drive rather handy actually.

British Motor show cancelled - Mr X
Wasn't it once bankrolled by the Telegraph and known as the Telegraph Motor Show ?
British Motor show cancelled - tack
My mate is gutted. He owns a Thai Restaurant close by. He won't see any business from that. Normally, lunch and evenings are packed out when the show is on.
British Motor show cancelled - DP
The writing was on the wall when they moved it to London IMHO. That's when I stopped going, and so did a lot of people I know. It's a shame.

All these big trade shows are about building brand image, one upmanship, and networking for senior executives of companies. Direct sales are not on the agenda.