What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Will the real TDCi please stand up?? - theterranaut
Hey all,

I've been looking for a used Mondeo TDCi on Auto Trader for a wee while. There are some good ones out there if you're prepared to travel. Budget for me is 2-3k, which should get me an 02-03 Zetec or Ghia 2.0TDCi 130BHP, with maybe 100k and FSH.

But...

I've noticed a trend emerging on AT, whereby the "PS" sticker has been yanked from the bonnet striker panel, rendering it tricky to tell whether its a 115 or 130. And I've even seen some where a photo of the engine bay reveals a TD engine cover (it has a red "DI" sticker), though the car has been advertised as a TDCi.

Does anyone know a definitive way to tell if a Mondy is a TDCI or not- and if so, can the power output be verified? I'm guessing that an insurer may have this on file?

Also- are the TD engines really so far behind the TDCis? In terms of ability, refinement, etc.

tia-

tt
Will the real TDCi please stand up?? - Collos25
Only by looking in the log book.
Will the real TDCi please stand up?? - ifithelps
The TD engines are about as far behind the TDCis as it is possible to get.

Cheers guys. So a log book inspection is mandatory- I would have been doing that anyway but thats a quickish way to tell, so ta.
Will the real TDCi please stand up?? - grahamw
I had a 2001 Mondeo TDDI and noticed when the TDCI's came out they only had one pipe coming out of the rear silencer same as the petrol versions, where mine had two smaller ones.
Hope this may help.
Thanks Graham-
Also from my memory of 8 years ago, the TDCI's had a badge on the tailgate to that effect whilst the TDDI's just had ones for the maker, model & type. I seem to recall that the engine cover had DI somewhere on it.
If it helps I had mine for 2.5 years covering 106,000 trouble free miles at an aveage 43mpg brim-brim calculations, 50mpg was easily obtainable. It is still on ask-MID and www.mycarcheck.com. With out doubt the best car I've ever owned!
Will the real TDCi please stand up?? - jonno
You can use car data check sites like www.mycarcheck.com to determine whether it's a tddi or tdci, e.g. the following advert described as a TDCi comes back as TDDi on mycarcheck:

search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/FORD+MONDEO...8

www.mycarcheck.com/check/MT51ZGC/

Futher research reveals a heck of a lot of TDDis advertised as TDCis on Autotrader! Here's a good one though:

search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/cars/FORD+MONDEO...8

verified:

www.mycarcheck.com/check/YM52FWX/
Will the real TDCi please stand up?? - ifithelps
If it's a TDDI you will be able to hear it in the next street, if it's a TDCi you will only be able to hear it in the street it's in.

The car in the link looks nice enough, although no cruise, which I thought most Ghias had.

Edited by ifithelps on 10/03/2009 at 14:47

Interesting, isn't it? I wonder if demand for the TDDI has completely crashed? This misrepresentation seems very common.

Mycarcheck.com- what a fantastic and essential site.
Maybe it's because the TDDI was only around for about 18 months and the TDCI is common rail modern technology so has greater appeal. If questioned I bet the vendor would say 'sorry got the letters mixed up' The previous poster is right about the noise, the clatter in low gears up to about 40 mph is loud but the TDCI is not much quieter, any speed in 4th or 5th gear is acceptable. Great torque in top from 40 mph. Mine went really well, as fast as the 136 bhp Mazda diesel that replaced it and it could keep up with TDCI's. A friend has had a Focus 1.8 TDDI from new, now 10 years old with over 130,000 miles covered with no problems, still drives well. Good luck with the detective work!

Edited by grahamw on 10/03/2009 at 16:39