What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2001 2.3 Remote locking fault - prestbury
I have a Sports coupe which I believe has ifra red remote locking. The problem is it will only lock/unlock the doors if the key is pointed at the drivers door handle and within a few inches. Is this the way it is, or should you be able to operate from further away. Have good stregnth in both remotes. Some one has mentioned a receiver in the roof area would need replacement Be interested in your comments

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 09/03/2009 at 12:46

2001 2.3 Remote locking fault - elekie&a/c doctor
This model uses both RF (radio) and infra red for the locking system.The RF signal is used to lock and unlock from a reasonable distance and and is not directional.The infra red part of the sytem is used for the total close/open facility (windows and roof)and the key needs to be pointed at the receiver in the door handle.I would suggest replace the batteries in the key and re-try.hth
2001 2.3 Remote locking fault - prestbury
Many thanks, have replaced both battries still the same,!only locks/unlocks the doors from a maximum of about 8 feet with key pointed at the door handle, any other ideas?
2001 2.3 Remote locking fault - fintryinn
I had same problem it was a fuse in boot look for the 7.5 amp fuse and replace
2001 2.3 Remote locking fault - Myw203
I have a similar issue with same model. 2003 (53 plate) 220CDI sport coupe. A few weeks ago the RF stopped working and now the IR is intermittent - with no obvious causes or patterns. Sadly when MB desingers sat down, they decided to omit any manual method to look the boot (hatch back). So if the IR and RF fail, you can lock passenger door manually from inside and then lock driver's door from outside with key (from inside the transmitter), but nothing for the boot. The IR always seems to work in the ignition and obviously I have tried spare remote and had both batteries in remotes changed at MB dealer.
Infact, I took the car to MB dealer and they said I needed a new RF receiver at approx GBP 600.00 plus labour, then I asked why the IR was only working sometimes, and they hadn't even noticed! Then they had no answers except that they could book it in to look for a fault at GBP100.00 per hour - umm !! So far, I've not found any answers on the web, but if any one has any ideas, I'll be glad to hear them. Certainly I don't look forward to a garage bill of over GBP1000.00 for a little box of resistors/chips!
2001 2.3 Remote locking fault - fintryinn
I had same problem I got it checked it was a blown fuse in the boot look for a 7.5 fuse and replace