National speed limit 50 - Doc
The government is to cut the national speed limit from 60mph to 50mph on most of Britain?s roads, enforced by a new generation of average speed cameras.

The reduction , to be imposed as early as next year, will affect two thirds of the country?s road network. Drivers will still be able to reach 70mph on motorways and dual carriageways and 60mph on the safest A roads.

tinyurl.com/buvhur (Links to Telegraph article)

Modified the link so it does not point to the original rival newspaper... the news story is the same.

Edited by rtj70 on 08/03/2009 at 15:40

National speed limit 50 - Mr X
The return of the man with the red flag is but a formality.........
National speed limit 50 - guss
Great reduce the speed limit ,increase speed cameras . Then new labour can tax us all out of a recession with penalty points and fines. Clueless bureaucrats at it again . ok rant over !
National speed limit 50 - captain chaos
Another argument for registering your car to a PO box no. ;-)
National speed limit 50 - madux
Why don't they just go the whole hog and make it 20mph everywhere?
National speed limit 50 - Chris White
From reading The Times article, it makes it sound like the scheme is going ahead for sure, but from reading elsewhere the Government is considering cutting speed limits on most rural single-carriageway roads from 60mph to 50mph and a Department for Transport spokeswoman said: 'This is something that is being looked at, but no decisions have yet been taken.'

Chris
National speed limit 50 - daveyjp
"Fly a kite" consultation. Give the press a leak of something and see what the reaction is.

Good reaction - Govt response is it will happen, bad reaction - Govt response is it's only something being thought about.
National speed limit 50 - Lud
Or: a provisional decision has been taken and the ST has got a scoop.

I like to think a blanket 50 won't make much difference. It will simply legitimise the existing mimsefest with everyone trying to get 55mpg out of their 2 litre petrol cars. And with a bit of luck it will criminalise another stratum of po-faced twozzers and besmirch their virgin licences.

Mind you, the cars will all get hardening of the arteries through lack of exercise. But then a lot of them do already.

Very slowly, as befits us, we are grinding to a messy congealed standstill like a massive dish of cold, mouldy bacon and eggs.

National speed limit 50 - sniper
I can understand your frustration but traffic has increased since the 60's by a large amount. Besides HGV'S on A and B roads will prevent you doing much over 50mph without risking your life by over taking.
National speed limit 50 - teabelly
If these numb nuts actually wanted to improve road safety then they would immediately increase the HGV limit to 50. The number of overtaking crashes would be reduced substantially. Also they should not have cameras or speed enforcement in long straight safe over taking stretches as it distracts drivers into checking their speed when overtaking. Returning safely to your own side of the road is more important than bothering whether you have dribbled over 60 while doing so.

Exceeding a posted limit is still a factor in the minority of even fatal accidents. I'd still like to know what proportion of the 3000 people killed each year were either drunk, drugged, illegal, in a stolen car or involved in criminal activity at the time.

National speed limit 50 - Dwight Van Driver
Surely if HMG wanted to kill speed they would prohibit the production of everything that can do more that 60 mph?

Do they not realise that slow moving traffic clogs up the roads more than free flowing?

Worrying is that RAC report having done a survey of some 17,000 drivers only just over 30% were against the proposal.

Time to be vocal folks....

dvd
National speed limit 50 - kithmo
Not meaning to sound empathatic dvd, but IMO it's a waste of time complaining to this government about anything, they don't listen. How many people have signed these various online petitions to the government only to get an email reply saying words to the effect, thanks for sending your views but we are going ahead with it anyway.
National speed limit 50 - yorkiebar
"Worrying is that RAC report having done a survey of some 17,000 drivers only just over 30% were against the proposal.

Time to be vocal folks...."

And how many people on here, keen motorists, were included in that survey? Or was it just people who were taking driving lessons maybe?
National speed limit 50 - dieselbob
Does anyone know where this will leave HGVs and towing? Its already a 50mph limit when ive got the caravan on the back and its nice to get a little run up on some of the steeper hills.
National speed limit 50 - smokie
"get a little run up on some of the steeper hills."

I should think breaking it will still be illegal :-)
National speed limit 50 - dieselbob
Legal run up that is... anyway if slower vehicles are pegged back as they are now do you fancy being stuck behind one. And if they keep them as they are how many motorists would be tempted to overtake as the slower vehicle drops back from the max speed limit on a gradient, just as they both near the brow of a hill?
National speed limit 50 - zookeeper
how does a speed camera know if you are pulling a caravan? surely it only reads the number plate and assumes you are a car, or do speed cameras photograph everything that passes them and a guy in a darkened room sorts out lorries from cars,and caravans etc etc?
National speed limit 50 - oldnotbold
"how does a speed camera know if you are pulling a caravan?"

Zookeeper - it would be possible to do an axle-count sensor that triggered a lower speed threshold on the camera but that would not get two-axle lorries, of course, unless some kind of pressure/weight sensor could be built-in.
National speed limit 50 - GJD
Its already a 50mph limit
when ive got the caravan on the back and its nice to get a little
run up on some of the steeper hills.

Well it's average speed cameras that are proposed. As long as your run up and the subsequent slowing back down on the hill are within the same averaged stretch I'd have thought you'd be OK.
National speed limit 50 - Manatee
Having done a cross country round trip from Aylesbury to Chipping Sodbury today, I can tell you that a substantial mileage of rural A road in Oxon. & Glos. is already 50mph limited, as yet without the average speed cameras.

I remarked at the time, to my long suffering companion, that we had 'progressed' from having freedom, within limits that allowed some choice, to being controlled.

It's going to put the mockers on overtaking altogether. The 50 stretches are often a procession, not at 50 of course but 40-45 with no space in between even for those who want to risk a burst of 50+.

The golden age is almost over. I'm glad I've had so much enjoyment from these wonderful roads and countryside during the last 35 years or so. I doubt my children will.

Edited by Manatee on 08/03/2009 at 17:57

National speed limit 50 - Sofa Spud
I can't get particularly worked up about this.

The idea of 'derestriction' should be buried, since it invariably means 60 mph (for cars) on single-carriageways. The derestriction signs should be replaced by '60' signs, or '70' on dual carriagways - like motorways sometimes have at the start of sliproads.

I'm all for speed cameras and greater enforcement of speed limits. If it's a form of taxation, then it's one of the easiest taxes to avoid paying. It's only because so many drivers drive too fast that the cameras make any money. If people observed the limits than the cameras would generate hardly any cash!

As for the HGV limit being raised from 40 to 50, it would have no effect on reducing overtaking since so hardly any HGV drivers observe it anyway.
National speed limit 50 - NARU
If we really were serious about cutting road deaths we could.

eg.

Ongoing training - perhaps 2-3 hours top up every 2-3 years
Proper fines for no insurance/licence (ie. more than the cost of the insurance)
More rigorous enforcement of careless driving
Getting rid of cars which aren't registered to a keeper

This stupid ongoing blame on speed is immature and has been proven not to work over the last 8 years. We've dropped from one of the safest countries as a result. When will we learn?
National speed limit 50 - retgwte
when will we learn?

when the liberal elite and their fake working class accents in the islington wine bars running the zanu-labour party are consigned to the dust bin of history

and when they people in power arnt the ones chosen by mr murdoch and his press machine

Here here. Well said.
If we really were serious about cutting road deaths we could.
eg.
Ongoing training - perhaps 2-3 hours top up every 2-3 years

That's very radical of you - trying to tackle the actual cause of the problem.

Personally I think I might vote for a little more ongoing training than you suggest. But more importantly than that I'd want to ensure that safety and fun were presented as entirely compatible with each other.
This stupid ongoing blame on speed is immature

Not to mention extraordinarily frustrating for anyone who derives enjoyment from speed and understands that it is possible to learn how to judge when it is not inappropriate indulge that enjoyment a little (and understands that that learning process also confers benefit in driving situations where such indulgence is entirely inappropriate).
National speed limit 50 - stunorthants26
Northants has many of these speed limits already and often they help you see the potholes that are numerous on our fast stretches here, so it is safety in a way!

Speed limits I liken to the notion, that if people behave like idiots, they will be treated as such.
All those people who often brake the limit and drive at speeds beyond reason let alone the law are to blame for tightening rules - you have signified to the powers that be that you do not respect their authority. They tighten the rules because you break them.

I remember at school, if you answered back, you got sent to the corner, make the class laugh, it was outside the door, still make the class laugh, it was to the deputy head and so on. Id stop making the class laugh speeders or we will end up with a 40 limit and anything more than a Smartcar will be redundant.
you have signified to the
powers that be that you do not respect their authority. They tighten the rules because
you break them.

If that were the real reason, it would be deeply concerning. It would imply that the powers that be might have forgotten that they are public servants who have no right to demand respect for their authority, but rather must earn that respect and work tirelessly to keep it.

And of course there would be the problem of the powers that be imposing a rule that they claimed was for one reason (road safety) but was actually for a completely different reason (punishing people for questioning the authority of the powers that be). Even if such punishment were deemed to be a reasonable way for the powers that be to act, hiding behind a completely different excuse would be extremely worrying behaviour in itself.
I remember at school if you answered back you got sent to the corner make
the class laugh it was outside the door

Well perhaps, but then making the class laugh is rather disruptive. Being nobbled for straying over the limit for a bit of joie de vivre on the open road where you won't disrupt anybody else's business is more akin to being sent to the deputy head for making your classmates laugh out in the playground at break time.
Id stop making the class laugh speeders or
we will end up with a 40 limit and anything more than a Smartcar will
be redundant.

I like to think there is a limit to the levels of silliness we can reach before society wakes up and some common sense returns. Hopelessly optimistic perhaps, but the only alternative is too depressing to contemplate.
National speed limit 50 - FocusDriver
I'm all for speed cameras and greater enforcement of speed limits. If it's a form of taxation, then it's one of the easiest taxes to avoid paying. It's only because so many drivers drive too fast that the cameras make any money. If people observed the limits than the cameras would generate hardly any cash!

I've never had a speeding ticket because I tend to observe (approximately) speed limits myself. But I couldn't disagree more with you Mr Spud! There's no "if" about whether it's tax-raising; we've all seen Westminster Council's "revenue targets" for speed cameras and parking haven't we? Also, perhaps the very subject of this thread is indicative that government is not making enough money, so need to lower the speed limit and increase the number of the very same safety cameras which were rubbished in a government commissioned report a couple of years ago as "alienating" and "ineffective".

My mother is a self-proclaimed fan of the safety camera and won't hear a bad word against them. She's not been done for speeding either but every journey I've taken involves her breaking the speed limit quite regularly, though not significantly. The same is also true of my SiL who does exactly the same: vocal supporter of sped cameras yet does 40mph in a 30 zone, especially when chatting to passengers.

I don't think the number of truly law-abiding motorists is very high at all. Out on the road, it doesn't seem to be concomittant with the sheer numbers of people who maintain perfection on their part.
National speed limit 50 - Robin Reliant
Pembrokeshire has had technology which prevents people exceeding 50mph on single carriageway roads for many years. They are in operatation mainly between the months of March and October.

They are called "Caravans".
Pembrokeshire has had technology which prevents people exceeding 50mph on single carriageway roads ... called "Caravans".

Caravans are currently limited to 50mph on single carriageway roads. Presumably under this proposal that could drop to 40mph, like artics?
National speed limit 50 - Bromptonaut
we've all seen Westminster Council's "revenue targets" for speed cameras and parking haven't we?

Not sure about speed cameras but Westminster includes some of most valuable parking real estate in the world. Surely it would be breaching its duty not to exploit that to the full!
National speed limit 50 - stevied
You must be a keen motorist, is that why you come on here? : )

"It's only because so many drivers drive too fast".... what, in a moral sense or a legal sense? If the limit was 20 and you did 40 where you used to do 60 (if you follow!) does that make you "too fast" or just breaking a law that is stupid? And before you start bleating, like many on here, I agree with limits per se.... I can see why the 30 and even the 20 limits are there in densely-populated areas. But, to echo the late great LJKS (and I wish to high heaven he was here to give his opinion!), transport exists to take us from A to B as fast as possible. Let's be honest, anything over 10mph and probably even less could conceivably kill you. So what do you suggest we do? Sit at home on our sofas? I think not.
National speed limit 50 - sniper
I wish every one had your attitude it would make my job easier and I wouldn't have to go to court so often!
National speed limit 50 - L'escargot
As I understand it, it's just a plan or an idea. It's not yet certain to happen. I'll cross that bridge if and when it ever actually happens.
National speed limit 50 - Armitage Shanks {p}
A lot of SPECS cameras, installed for road works seem to be then left in place, MI, M25 junction to Luton for example, and this seems like a good idea. However, if they really work not many people will be caught speeding and the cameras will become expensive and redundant road furniture. Has any BR member ever been caught by a SPECS camera and does anybody know the cost of the average installation and what income it generates?
>>anybody know the cost of the average installation and what income it generates?<<

I dont know but if it is cheaper than sending several Police units up and down a stretch of road day in, day out, its good value.
It is quite possible to drive dangerously at the given speed limit. Those SPECS cameras can't deal with that. Plod going up and down however, can.
National speed limit 50 - Ravenger
>>
I dont know but if it is cheaper than sending several Police units up and
down a stretch of road day in day out its good value.

Cameras may be cheaper than Police, but better? Police can stop drivers there and then for a variety of offences, and deal with them on the spot. Cameras might be able to spot a limited subset like speeding, no insurance or tax, but by the time they've spotted them the driver is long gone. If the driver is foreign or has false plates, then there's no chance to catch them.
>>anybody know the cost of the average installation and what income it generates?<<
I dont know but if it is cheaper than sending several Police units up and
down a stretch of road day in day out its good value.

Your logic only necessarily holds if the only thing the Police units do is measure vehicle speed.
National speed limit 50 - Altea Ego
>A lot of SPECS cameras, installed for road works seem to be then left in place, MI, M25 >junction to Luton for example, and this seems like a good idea

Not there three weeks ago. they have gone
Amazing! One might have thought that for what they cost to put in they might leave them in situ to monitor one of he busiest stretches of 4 laneM way in UK. Are the gantries still there sans cameras or what?
National speed limit 50 - Altea Ego
As I understand it it's just a plan or an idea. It's not yet certain
to happen. I'll cross that bridge if and when it ever actually happens.

exactly - its a proposal, an idea, though you would have thought it was law next week the way the papers dealt with it.
National speed limit 50 - J Bonington Jagworth
If it's any consolation, there's a move here on the Isle of Wight to make it a blanket 40-limit! Mind you, half the locals drive as if that were already the case...

WRT cameras, did I not hear that their legality is shortly to be tested in court, parliamentary approval for them never actually having been granted? No doubt there will be stern opposition from our beloved legislators, but if true, it should be an interesting debate!
Are there any enforcement cameras and/or mobile ones on IOW? I didn't see any when I was last there a couple of years ago. Jersey has a 40 limit and no cameras SFAIK.
National speed limit 50 - J Bonington Jagworth
"Are there any enforcement cameras and/or mobile ones on IOW?"

There certainly are! Not as many as there are boxes, I admit, but you can't tell unless you're fairly close. Mostly Truvelos, but they have mobile ones, too - I have the scars.

The infuriating thing is that few people speed up on the open sections, hence my remark about the limit being here already. Lenny Henry did a gig here a few years ago and noticed it enough to include in his act, enquiring (with suitable gestures) why everyone he'd encountered drove at 4 mph! Slight exaggeration, but only slight...
National speed limit 50 - davecooper
I'm not sure exactly what type of roads are to attract the new 50mph limit but if it is the single carriageway rural roads typical in my area then no problem. No normal person would want to do 60mph on most of them from a road surface, width and visibility point of view and anyone who did would not take any notice of a 50mph limit anyway.
National speed limit 50 - TheOilBurner
I'm not sure exactly what type of roads are to attract the new 50mph limit

Dave, it sounds like all current 60mph single carriageway will be downgraded to 50mph with the odd exception.

i.e. any bendy road will be 50 or less, wide straight roads may remain at 60.

That's my understanding of the proposals as they've been leaked.

My general rant on this subject: I don't mind dropping the limit to 50 or even 40 on narrow country lanes, but 50 on a good stretch of A-road is a) going to remove all the fun in driving and b) make all those smug mimsers feel even more righteous, so encouraging the pick fluffy dice to go even slower!

All this because some people, sometimes go inappropriately fast or make poor choices when overtaking?

And dropping the limit is going to help that....how...

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 09/03/2009 at 18:46

National speed limit 50 - Mick Snutz
Time for Clarkson to stop slating the G-Whizz, because that's what we'll all end up driving if this propsal goes ahead!

Can't wait.

:-(
National speed limit 50 - madf
If they really wanted to reduce deaths, they would reduce death rates in hospital.. infections kill about 3=5 times those killed on the roads...
Maybe they should put speed limits in hospitals? It'll have about as much effect on infections as it will on road safety.... ;)
Seconded. Many thousands of people die from infections they pick up in hospital every year ( around 12,000 a year was the last figure I read ) yet the obsession with those killed on our roads continues to lead to tighter and tighter controls on motorists.
I was on the Rock Ferry bypass today and on the Bridge across it was a banner proclaiming ' Speed Kills '.
Rather ironic that they should have chosen the bridge they did as I remember one of the local scum dropping a car battery from it on to a passing van one bank holiday monday, killing the driver outright.
National speed limit 50 - Bromptonaut
Seconded. Many thousands of people die from infections they pick up in hospital
every year( around 12 000 a year was the last figure I read )

Many of those thousands were already very sick and frail. Others brought the infection in with them. The media constantly berate the staff over cleanliness but what about the visitors?

My son was in hospital last summer (appendicitis). Compliance with mandatory handwash at ward door was under 20%.

Bromp junior survived nonetheless - his biggest recovery problem was bad temper at being restrained from rough house football for a few days.
National speed limit 50 - CGNorwich
If they really wanted to reduce deaths, they would reduce death rates in hospital.. infections kill about 3=5 times those killed on the roads...

Not really much of an argument. It's not an either or choice. We can reduce death rates in hospital AND road deaths.

Edited by CGNorwich on 09/03/2009 at 15:34

But we aren't doing. We are simply concentrating on road deaths. Deaths from guns and knife attacks must be getting pretty close to the annual road death figures by now yet all we have seen are a couple of half hearted campaigns aimed at those who carry and use them.
Deaths from guns and knife attacks must be getting pretty close to the annual road death figures by now

Latest road deaths figures 3,172 plus 28,000 serious injuries. Deaths by stabbing 258. Deaths by gun crime 59.

Interesting to speculate what the reaction would be if all other forms of transport regularly killed or injured 10% of the numbers killed an injured on the roads each year. I'm not sure reducing speed limits would make any difference, on balance I think they probably would not , but I don't think we should accept the present death and injury rate as something inevitable, like the weather
" It's not an either or choice."

It is if money is involved.

Re-engineering junctions, building by-passes etc. is pretty expensive, and may save lives, as might other measures aimed at driver training, vehicle design, policing etc.

Improving hospital cleaning standards, improving staff training, designing easier-to-clean wards etc. may save lives.

I'm not sure how difficult it would be to do a cost-benefit analysis on capital spend and operating costs to see the cost per life saved on the road or in a hospital.
Every fatality on our roads costs the country X thousands of pounds, is a story I have seen trotted out by road safety experts and advisors over the years, hence their desire to see them reduced.
Hospital death is a different matter. You croak and it frees up a bed and some staff, thus saving the NHS money.
"You croak and it frees up a bed and some staff, thus saving the NHS money. "

Unless negligence can be shown, in which case it's expensive in lawyers etc.
Road travel is the only mode of transport for which there is no specialist national team of crash investigators and feedback loop to ensure that lessons learned are passed back to the drivers in the form of a rigorous training programme.

The Department for Transport has air, rail and marine accidents investigation branches which report on every fatal incident and make recommendations. But road accidents are left to police to investigate and they have no effective mechanism for improving the average standard of driving.
National speed limit 50 - nick
Why not 40 or 30? If we all drove at 20mph there'd be no deaths at all. Let's sit at home wrapped in cotton wool.

I despair at this country and its leadership.
If we all drove at 20mph there'd be no deaths at all

Probably not true but if it were and we could save 3000 lives a year would it be acceptable? If not why not? If not acceptable what is an acceptable number of fatalities we should accept per annum? If a new more efficient form of transport were to be invented tomorrow which was anticipated to kill or seriously injure 30,000 people a year would you be in favour?
If not acceptable what is an acceptable
number of fatalities we should accept per annum?

Well we certainly need to learn to accept more than zero. Life can be beautiful, exciting, intriguing, and wonderful thing, but one thing it can't ever be is risk free - and that means that sometimes bad things will happen to good people and we just have to deal with. That doesn't mean that when bad things happen we shouldn't investigate them to establish whether everyone involved was behaving responsibly and whether lessons can be learned.

But the issue with this proposal is not whether it saves the right number of lives. The issue is completely orthogonal to that: whether the the proposal is suffiently well focussed on targetting only those who are causing the problem at hand while at the same time ensuring there is little or no impact on everyone else.

Whether you think the latter part of that sentiment matters probably depends on one of two things (or both): firstly, your personal political philosophy and secondly, whether you feel you are part of the adversely affected "everyone else". A meeting of minds from opposite ends of that philosophical scale is most unlikely to occur in the pages of a forum like this.
"but one thing it can't ever be is risk free"

Of course not but risks can be reduced in certain areas if society as a whole if we are prepared to accept the cost in terms of restrictions to our lives.

If (and its a big if) it could be proved that a substantial number of deaths and injuries could be saved as a result of further restrictions in the speed limit I personally would feel I had to agree with their introduction. By the same token any one who objected to their introduction would have to say "yes I know we could save a lot of deaths and injuries a year but the price in loss of freedom to drive fast is too high. " What I don't think
you can do is to talk of loss of freedom and wrapping up in cotton wool etc without understanding and acknowledging the cost of that freedom in real injury and suffering.

p.s like the use of "orthogonal" :-)

Edited by CGNorwich on 09/03/2009 at 21:50

If (and its a big if) it could be proved that a substantial number of
deaths and injuries could be saved as a result of further restrictions in the speed
limit I personally would feel I had to agree with their introduction.

I know you know this and I apologise for sounding nit-picky for a moment, but it couldn't be proved in advance, only predicted with a certain level of confidence based on appropriate research. That might still be enough to go ahead, but the distinction is important because we should be prepared, if our prediction turns out to be incorrect, to consider putting the limit back up again. After all, to take the other extreme, if it doesn't save any lives it's certainly not worth the cost in terms of restrictions to our freedom.
By the same
token any one who objected to their introduction would have to say "yes I know
we could save a lot of deaths and injuries a year but the price in
loss of freedom to drive fast is too high. "

They would, but they would probably also explain why. They might well qualify that statement by pointing out that their objection is not to the principle of saving deaths and injuries, but to the method chosen. They might feel that there is an opportunity being missed. An opportunity to save a lot of deaths and injuries without so blanket an effect on general freedom, by identifying and targetting the situations and individuals most likely to be the cause of those deaths and injuries - an approach that, if successful, would benefit hugely from having a much more agreeable feel of natural justice about it.
What I don't think
you can do is to talk of loss of freedom and wrapping up in cotton
wool etc without understanding and acknowledging the cost of that freedom in real injury and
suffering.

I would agree completely with that. What worries me is the number of people in society, including many in senior positions of responsibility, who talk only of reducing injury and suffering (and not just on the roads) without understanding and acknowledging the cost of that reduction in real loss of freedom. Most who display that failing only do so selectively - when the particular freedom in question is not one they personally choose to enjoy. Confusing "I'm not particularly interested in X" with "nobody can reasonably object to X being banned" has become a bit of a blight and doesn't help the cause of those who genuinely have understood the real loss of freedom and seek to persuade us that, while it is a real price, it is one worth paying.
Let's sit at home wrapped in cotton wool.

Sorry, this is dangerous. In tomorrow's Guardian: "Cotton Wool Death Probe"

Some will NEVER be happy until all risk of death is eliminated, and never mind what happens to society as a consequence. For what possible consequences could there be!
Yep Marlot, it's often I get the feeling that the government's lack of control over me when I drive makes them foam at the mouth. The answer, when government cannot afford for drivers to abandon their vehicles, is surely not ever-creeping legislation which government reports have confirmed alienate motorists?

If it were feasible to put all cars on rails, it'd be done.
National speed limit 50 - daveyK_UK
make sure your next car has cruise control.
i cant trust my leg to stay perfectly in place for 2 hours at a time with the increase in average speed cameras.

The average speed cameras on the m6 around Birminghm (5a) are most annoying at 2am when the road is near empty; why not raise it to 60 or enforce 70 - but 50mph is depressing when the road is empty.

In a recession when transport links are requied to be at there best and most efficent, they intend to slow my drivers down.
slower vans - less productivity - raised costs.
Sorry customers.
why not raise it to 60 or enforce 70 - but 50mph is depressing when the road is empty

Why not? As a safety camera fan, I cannot think of a single reason why the limit is kept at 50. Certainly nothing to do with anything so vulgar as money.

Isn't that particular bit of the M6 being kept at 50 to persuade us to use the 70mph Toll Road section ?
Road travel is the only mode of transport for which there is no specialist national
team of crash investigators and feedback loop to ensure that lessons learned are passed back
to the drivers in the form of a rigorous training programme.
The Department for Transport has air rail and marine accidents investigation branches

I don't know much about rail or maritime, but certainly the world of aviation does not suffer from having a high proportion of its population firmly convinced that they already know everything and have no need of regular refreshing or retraining.
National speed limit 50 - tyro
>>If we all drove at 20mph there'd be no deaths at all

>>Probably not true but if it were and we could save 3000 lives a year would it be acceptable? If not why not?

It would not.

It is not the job of the government to do everything it possibly can to improve the statistics for deaths on roads. That is nanny-statism.

It is the job of the government to make sensible laws. And on a lot of British rural roads, 50 mph is a stupidly low speed limit.
National speed limit 50 - DP
Is it revenue or is it another excuse to spy on people and track movements, which is an automatic bonus of average speed camera systems? Or an attempt to suck any remaining joy out of motoring? I suspect all of it, and more.

Why does no other government on earth seem to harass motorists like this one? Surely, there must be fiddled MPs expenses to be investigated, or bankers to be prosecuted if they're short of people to clobber.
National speed limit 50 - Ben 10
With the surge in caravan sales on another post, and a 50 limit, it don't look good.

Edited by spood on 09/03/2009 at 21:59

National speed limit 50 - Pebble
Life is too short to be rushing around motorways at high speed, people--Relax! Remember, "Drive 55, stay alive."
National speed limit 50 - Mick Snutz
I'm not quite 40 but I might be 55 by the time I finish any long journey!
;-)
On the contrary, life's too short to be driving more slowly than required. I'd rather be doing more productive things, and driving is more enjoyable when done with vigour rather than overly restrained...
I don't remember "Drive 55, stay alive" as I am not, thank every deity, American!

What an infantile slogan. If I drove off a bridge at 55, or into a wall, would I live? I somehow doubt it. I am surprised, American litigiousness being what it is, that the relatives of a road accident victim haven't taken the "writers" of this slogan to court, when he failed to stay alive at 55....
Life is too short to be rushing around motorways at high speed people--Relax! Remember "Drive
55 stay alive."

What an odd thing to say. Driving slower to get to the same place would use up more of my finite life than driving faster.

And what on earth is the correlation between "Relax!" and driving at 55 supposed to be? Assuming you are competent to do it, driving at 70 is only incompatible with being relaxed if you try and do it when the road, weather or traffic conditions make it inappropriate.

Driving slower to get to the same place would use up more of my finite life than driving faster.

Well no you would still live just as long:-)

Still you might get bored and then your life would actually seem longer - the Dunbar plan
Interesting link at www.abd.org.uk/jjleeming.htm

It's all about the research of J J Leeming into road accidents.

Here are a couple of quotes:

"'The public has complete faith in speed limits as a panacea for all accidents, . . . . the evidence in favour of speed limits is both ambiguous and contradictory, provided one considers all the evidence. Much of the case in favour of them is based on the habit of sweeping inconvenient evidence under the carpet.'"

"Leeming then describes the results of his own before-and-after studies of the effect of newly posted speed limits on accidents. On a total of 56 lengths of road where new 30, 40 or 50mph limits had been introduced, a reduction in accidents was seen at seventeen, there was no appreciable change at twenty-two, and there was an increase at the remaining seventeen. The 40 and 50mph limits both showed increases in fatal accidents, of 9% and 12% respectively. While these were not statistically significant, Leeming points out that the results supported each other, so there is a suspicion that there may have been a real change.

In particular, Leeming found that there was a substantial increase in fatal accidents at five of the 26 sites where new 40mph limits had been introduced, including one where fatal accidents had increased from three before to nine after. By contrast, where 30mph limits had been raised to 40mph (41 sites studied), there was no significant change in total accidents (a 1% reduction overall) or in serious and fatal accidents combined (a 9% reduction)."

National speed limit 50 - gordonbennet
I had a horrible thought today.

HGV's will have to maintain 40mph on 2 way roads throught average speed sections regardless, i do, its not worth the risk that the system won't differentiate between the vehicle types, similar to some gatso's which catch trucks at 46 mph on 60 mph sections of 2 way road.

And thats fine i hear some of you say, but have you realised that all of us will be stuck at 40mph all over the country, overtaking will be all but impossible as you'll only have 10 mph to play with depending on the camera set up.

Oh joy that will be the 40mph mimse...should do the sales of the little red bull and similar some good as we try desperately to stay awake.
National speed limit 50 - stan10
The end result of all this will be that despite 20" alloy wheels and low profile tyres, "sport" suspension, flappy paddle 7 speed gears and 500bhp turbo diesel engines, to actually make progress all you will need is a 1970's express dairies milk float ......
National speed limit 50 - Kiwi Gary
I was passing time in a bookshop today, and started skimming a book on driver behaviour. One of the these posited is that the worse the road [ surface, bends, etc,] the safer it is in terms of crash deaths / serious injuries. Research [ not just the author's ] indicates that drivers generally drive to their ability to mentally process all the incoming information, hence some of the major dings on motorways where the mental workload is relatively light and the brain relaxes but can't "accelerate" in time to process the sudden change in required workload. The author particularly mentioned roundabouts versus light-controlled intersections. Roundabout tings are not usually horrendous because drivers automatically slow down because there are many more things to think about than just whether a red light can be run. Statistically, it is said, roundabouts are far safer than light-controls for intersections.

In summary, making roads "safer" may often have the opposite effect, something that the Powers that Think they Be find beyond their collective mental abilities.
Here is a piece which seems to reveal something of the government's reasons for the proposal.

tinyurl.com/avy6x2

(Warning: politically partisan site!)
National speed limit 50 - gmac
I know I said I wouldn't be back but I cannot believe people are missing the screaming obvious with regard to this proposal...

"The government is to cut the national speed limit from 60mph to 50mph on most of Britain?s roads, enforced by a new generation of average speed cameras."

Not a single post has mentioned road pricing. Average Speed Cameras take an image of a vehicle at the entry and exit point, over a known distance. This has nothing to do with cutting road deaths/accidents and being good for the environment and more to do with putting in place a national infrastructure for road pricing after being told no by 1.7million motorists in a previous petition.

Edited by gmac on 11/03/2009 at 09:58

National speed limit 50 - Snakey
If the new 50 limit is railroaded through in the same way as all other nu-labour proposals, how long will it be before the motorway limit is down to 60, urban down to 20 . And then the motorway down to 50, urban down to 10 etc

Give it 10 years of this attitude and we'll have grass growing on the roads as the average speed will be so slow ;-)
Slower limits also equals: more congestion and higher pollution (compared to 50-60 steady driving).

I doubt it will make much, if any difference to accident statistics either.

Anybody who even remotely enjoys driving should sign this petition now and scare the government into burying this nonsense straight away...
I have signed the petition now, and thinking about all this has really made my blood boil. I am still funing about "Relax drive at 55", ironic eh?

You shouldn't "relax" at any speed surely? I liked the posts about roundabouts etc, people do switch off when they "relax" whether at 55 or 75. I tell you one thing, we won't be able to relax when we're constantly looking at our speedos because we're in an average speed check area..... and a shiny penny to the first mimsing do-gooding "there's no child abusers in my road, I know because we lynched them" type who says "But if you always stayed under the limit you wouldn't have to worry". I drive carefully and properly, and often speed is not the most contributory factor to that. This proposal sucks: and it's cynical pretence at protecting people is it's worst aspect.
You shouldn't "relax" at any speed surely?

Depends what you mean by relax, stevied... Extreme tension at the wheel is far more dangerous. The correct posture is 'relaxed, vigilant and mentally active', surely?

Of course if relaxed is taken to mean hypnotised and slack-jawed, one can only agree. But to press on when it makes you nervous (therefore potentially jerky and unpredictable), or to tailgate meaning you may have to react very quickly and precisely to avoid a crash, is obviously silly. Drive at speeds and distances that keep you comfortable and, er, relaxed.
I very much like having slower cars as it requires more than a delicate squeeze on the throttle to break the limit. So many of todays cars have lost the sense of speed through excellent refinement and easily accessible performance.
Its no wonder people do often find themselves over the limit as there are few visual clues aside from the speedo.
Not knowing how fast you go isnt a good thing, but its understandable.

My dad was telling how in the 60s he had Mini Coopers as his company cars and he drove the wheels off them, but in reality, he could never get into real trouble as the cars felt very fast at 50 so you were only to aware if you were nudging 80!
I very much like having slower cars as it requires more than a delicate squeeze on the throttle to break the limit.

Yes, I have always enjoyed gutless but competent motors that needed my leaden clog to help them keep the Surrey commuters in their place... these days though I quite like exercising restraint, and would be quite happy with 400bhp if I could afford it.

On the thread subject, I asked my wife - a careful and law-abiding driver - what she thought of the blanket 50 proposal. She asked where it would apply and I said on all single carriageway A roads, in principle.

'Would that mean between **** and **** (two small Sussex towns)?'

When I said it would, she looked doubtful, without expressing outrage however.
Not knowing how fast you go isnt a good thing but its understandable.

Are you sure? Not being able to stop well within the distance you can see to be clear isn't a good thing (and nor is it excusable in the way that sometimes finding yourself over the limit is). But you don't do that by knowing how many miles per hour you are going, you do it by looking outside, assessing the hazards and using your experience to judge your speed and stopping distance. I happen to remember that the official stopping distance at 30mph is 75 feet, but I don't care and knowing that doesn't help because I couldn't tell you whether that child that's about to run out into the road is 76 feet away or 74. What I can tell you is whether, if they did run out, I could stop before I hit them.

I wonder whether the solution might be the other way around - to do away with speedometers altogether and insist that if you can't make progress safely without one you probably shouldn't be in charge of a car. Only trouble is, that would probably be all of us and the queue for more training would be enormous.

But certainly in any speed restricted zone I can't remember the last time, if ever, I looked at the speedometer to judge whether I was driving safely or not (I do look at it to determine whether I am driving legally or not). The only exception is on relatively quiet, wide open roads and multi-lane roads, where the complete absence of any visual cues around you might make it difficult to judge speed and stopping distance. Perhaps the answer is speedometers than only register above 60.
Are you sure? Not being able to stop well within the distance you can see to be clear isn't a good thing (and nor is it excusable in the way that sometimes finding yourself over the limit is). But you don't do that by knowing how many miles per hour you are going, you do it by looking outside, assessing the hazards and using your experience to judge your speed and stopping distance. <<

Separate things. Not going over the limit is about preserving your license. I disagree with many speed limits that are set, but I recognise that it is not myself being victimised individually, so adhere. The way i look at it, atleast we dont have a 55 mph limit - it could be worse. Maybe I just feel there are bigger battles in this world to fight than speed limits.
You can stick to the speed limits and also make good judgements.
Separate things.
Not going over the limit is about preserving your license.

You can stick to the speed limits and also make good judgements.

That was exactly my point. If not being over the limit is about preserving your licence then going over the limit is entirely up to you and only depends on whether you are fancy risking your licence. The same can not be said of choosing to drive such that you can't stop well within the distance you can see to be clear.

But certainly in any speed restricted zone I can't remember the last time, if ever, I looked at the speedometer to judge whether I was driving safely or not (I do look at it to determine whether I am driving legally or not).

Precisely. Well put indeed. This morning, unfortunately, I witnessed my second motorcycle collision (into the side of a bin lorry which pulled out of a junction). It happened right in front of me. The motorcyclist, who was prostrate in the middle of the road as I drove past (and is, I expect, dead), was travelling at about 70(ish) in a 50 zone when he/she hit the lorry.

Who to blame? The m/c headlight was on yet the bin lorry can't have looked very thoroughly. Had m/c been going at 50 I would say that the collision would still have occurred - so poor were the lorry driver's powers of observation.

Speed is never the only factor and, though I've never even ridden a m/c, this collision was, in my estimation, the lorry driver's fault.

The lorry was doing about 10mph, so well under the limit.
was travelling at about 70(ish) in a 50 zone when he/she hit the lorry. <<

Had the bike been travelling at 50 not 70ish, it would not have arrived at the bin lorry at the same time as it would have covered less distance when approaching it.
The speed limit is set to allow people the appropriate amount if space and time to make decisions - the motorcyclist reduced this for the bin lorry below the amount deemed safe by those who set the limit.

When pulling out of our close, due to a curve in the road, a car approaching at 30 gives you just about enough time to pull out safely. If it is doing significantly more, it often creates a situation where both the car pulling out has a gamble to make and the speeding car may have to brake hard to avoid a rear end shunt. Doesnt stop complete idiots ignoring this and the school opposite.
Had the bike been travelling at 50 not 70ish, it would not have arrived at the bin lorry at the same time as it would have covered less distance when approaching it.

No. The bin lorry would have caused the same incident had the m/c been going even 40. There is obviously much estimation on my part but the point isn't the speed, it's the proximity of the m/c to the bin lorry when the latter pulled out probably fatally. No m/c'ist could have been expected to anticipate the bin lorry's idiocy despite all they're told routinely by friends and other m/c'ists. You cannot drop your speed to 10 mph at every crossroads in case a driver decides not to see you, despite your being quite clearly there. At the risk of sounding like I'm points-scoring off the back of a horrific collision, this is a simple case where one party WAS indeed speeding but safely. The irony isn't lost on me either; but it surely HAS to be safe to assume that vehicles won't try and ostensibly mow you down mafia-style.

I will check with the local news website for updates.

I'm familiar with roads like your close and, even if the limit is 30mph, if it doesn't look safe to do so around a blind corner (which it never is) then you should not do that speed. As you say, idiots, and considerate ones too. As a child passenger once, I was treated to a shunt the same as you describe. Chap in the MGB GT was simply going too fast (and received the full vent of my pipe-smoking turtle-neck wearing father). I imagine those ghastly convex mirrors aren't the answer.
National speed limit 50 - ole cruiser
this collision was in my estimation the lorry driver's fault.

Not in mine, I'm afraid. The (sad) story seems to indicate the case for speed limits pretty well.
OC - the m/c'ist would, in my admittedly fallible estimation, have come a cropper had he/she been travelling at the limit. While speed can accentuate the results of such a collision, I don't think the bin chap would have seen a naked bottom right outside his window. Are you sure you're looking at the m/c'ist as at fault?

I am certainly not against speed limits either; I obey them myself. I've seen plenty of m/cs travelling at 100mph+ and this was not one of those occasions. 70 in a 50; it's wrong legally of course but it's not necessarily unsafe. It's only unsafe if someone doing any speed decides on temporary blindness. And you cannot legislate for that in any way other than digging up the roads and giving us the "Integrated Public Transport System" we were promised on Tomorrow's World on that cold Tuesday night in 1981. The thought still makes me feel a bit sick.
The thing with increasing the speed you are driving at, is you reduce the time window other drivers have to react to your approach.
There is a chance that given an extra few seconds, the bin lorry driver would have seen the approaching Mbike.
It doesnt sound like a speed related example if the bin lorry driver didnt look, just stupidity.

As for bikes, I imagine it requires much restraint to keep to the speed limit given how stupidly fast many of them are, with very little of that speed useable on the road legally.
Nicely put, Lud. I think my generation think of relaxing as "chilling out", to use a horrid phrase, and that tends to mean extreme relaxation(!) To be relaxed but vigilant and mentally active is indeed the ideal way to drive.

National speed limit 50 - bristol01
In today's Metro, the results of a poll showed a strong No to lowering the speed limit (83% to 17% I think)
National speed limit 50 - yorkiebar
"In summary, making roads "safer" may often have the opposite effect, something that the Powers that Think they Be find beyond their collective mental abilities. "

Totally agree KG, plus of course all the safety features added to cars that allow every driver to be invincible.

By which i mean, seatbelts, abs, airbags, belt pretensioners, etc etc.

They have had an opposite effect in reality; allowing people to just jump in a car and press on when they really shouldn't, and if they hadnt had the features they probably wouldnt.

But its a sad state of affairs that we need to put a blanket speed limit on the roads; imagine 1 speed deemed to be safe for every circumstance!

Id prefer more traffic cops patrolling and enforcing. It would take some time but it worked before ! I still dont understand why it would cost more though? How many criminals use cars without required paperwork etc and to escape from scenes of crime.
>>Id prefer more traffic cops patrolling and enforcing. It would take some time but it worked before ! I still dont understand why it would cost more though? <<

Id second that. Im not sure it would cost more if it was effective at taking a chunk of the uninsured drivers etc off the road because if its as many as they say, you could cancel alot of road building due to reduced congestion surely.
Only problem is, you gotta lock the people that get caught up so they dont repeat - who would wanna be in politics lol
By which i mean seatbelts abs airbags belt pretensioners etc etc.
They have had an opposite effect in reality; allowing people to just jump in a
car and press on when they really shouldn't and if they hadnt had the features
they probably wouldnt.

Given that it's possible for people to cause accidents around me that I would find it very hard to avoid becoming part of, I am very pleased to have a world of seat belts, abs, airbags, crumple zones and the like to keep me and my loved ones safer. But you are right, I suspect there are people who have forgotten that not being in the accident in the first place is better than being more likely to survive it.