What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
1996 2.2 Immobiliser query - sturdy
My 1996 W124 convertible has a factory fitted immobiliser with sensors on drivers door and and boot lid. Unlike the coupe version there is no internal sensor.This is very inconvenient and will mean for example if say waiting in a long hold up the ignition is turned off the immobiliser shortly kicks in and the engine cannot be restarted without getting out the car locking and unlocking. I should be very greatful to know if this problem has been solved. Otherwise a great rare car.
Sturdy

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 03/03/2009 at 12:32

1996 2.2 Immobiliser query - elekie&a/c doctor
Afraid not.This is a really annoying "Feature"of the system fitted to this car.As the system works on infra red signal,then the key has to be pointed at the receiver in the door handle.
1996 2.2 Immobiliser query - Roger Jones
Yes, annoying it is. But you can lower the window from the inside of the car to do the necessary.
1996 2.2 Immobiliser query - sturdy
Many thanks for kind responses to the problem if only for the confirmation that nothing much can be done. I have owned this car for 2years and have experienced no reel problems.
It drives lile a new car after a total of 90 thousand miles. I rarely see another one.Any idea how many were sold in this country?