What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Potholes In Glasgow - bhoy wonder
Have a read at this and can I say that this is no joke. The only decent roads in and around Glasgow are the motorways. The roads are rapidly falling apart. I travel a reasonable amount and Glasgow has by the worst roads in Scotland. I cannot think of any road that is in not need of repair and you report a fault they turn up in a low bed truck and chuck some tarmac at the hole and basically the guy uses his tacky boot to stamp it down. Then a week later it?s back to square one.

tinyurl.com/bjc7qh

Mods HJ has cleared the link.
Potholes In Glasgow - BobbyG
Couldn't agree more bhoy wonder. As a daily driver in Glasgow the roads are horrendous and on occasion where I cycle, the holes become even more noticable!

However I don't believe the council help themselves either. As a prime example, take London Road at the old Belvidere hospital. Now going by your name, I assume you know where I mean. This old hospital was knocked down, development took over, new flats and access roads. The London Road was re-aligned, junctions made and new tarmac laid. This is now all potholed and broken. This must surely be the responsibility of the contractors to repair, there must be some sort of "guarantee" period for their work. But its still potholed and getting worse.

Can't help but think all work will be put on the backburner to fund the Commonwealth Games when they come and all the roads will be repaired for then?
Potholes In Glasgow - madux
18000 holes.........Well it is bigger than Blackburn, I suppose.
Potholes In Glasgow - turbo11
Lots of them also appearing down here in south east England. Hit one the other night. Fortunately no apparent damage, just lost 8 psi out of front offside tyre.
Potholes In Glasgow - bhoy wonder
Travel London Road every couple of weeks to my place of worship ;o). The roads are disgrace but as you say nothing will happen until a few months before the commonwealth games.

Edited by bhoy wonder on 25/02/2009 at 11:49

Potholes In Glasgow - redviper
I was in Leeds the other week, and we got a Taxi from the Train station to the office, the main roads through the city centre where so pot holey, if I wasn?t wearing a seat belt I would have been bounced of the seat, it was shocking - they where terrible,

I cant believe we have roads like this, that are no better than a dirt track in the 21st century.
Potholes In Glasgow - Chris White
Would agree it's not just Glasgow, down around Eastbourne we've got some huge potholes, but at least the council is slowly going round relaying road, not just filling holes as a temporary measure.
Potholes In Glasgow - grumpyscot
People in Edinburgh would be quite happy to have potholes instead of the vast amonut of roadworks throughout the city to install a new tram system.

One junction - at Portobello - has taken 9 months to replace a roundabout with traffic lights - and the council say it won't be finished until end April.

In Florida last year, in the two weeks we were there, they built a flyover across the interstate, and landscaped all the area aorund it!

IIRC when the bridge in Minneapolis collapsed, they built a replacement in 3 months!

So I reckon Glasgow has it fairly easy - providing they include cave trips / mine shafting as a new commonwealth sport, they'll be well prepared!

Edited by grumpyscot on 26/02/2009 at 07:58