What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Check control - what is it, has my car got it? - MoodyGit
I've got a 2004 Mondeo Estate Diesel 130bhp Ghia

Has it got Check Control?

Thanks
Check control - what is it, has my car got it? - J1mbo
No, cos whatever "check Control" is, does'nt exist!
Check control - what is it, has my car got it? - smokie
Isn't Check Control a term used for a little row of warning lights, like door open and stuff? I'm sure it's one of the displays.
Check control - what is it, has my car got it? - Dynamic Dave
On Vauxhalls 'Check Control' is the system that informs of things like low fluid levels, blown bulbs and fuses. It's generally only fitted to the higher spec cars as a standard option.
Check control - what is it, has my car got it? - TheOilBurner
In a little more detail, modern cars have highly complex wiring similar to a computer network. The different areas of the car talk to each other and can recognise problems and report them to the dealer and driver, depending on severity.

A 2004 Mondeo will have this, whether or not the system is designed to show some of those use faults (e.g. blown bulbs) or not I don't know because I haven't had one of these cars myself. But that is what "check control" is, the reporting of errors found on the cars network..
Exactly as Dave said, more or less!
Check control - what is it, has my car got it? - MoodyGit
Thanks for the replies

I'm off to buy a 'car specific' towbar electrics kit tomorrow and the supplier said that if the car has 'check control' a different kit is required.

I was going to assume that it hasn't and hope for the best...
Check control - what is it, has my car got it? - TheOilBurner
Careful! What the towbar supplier really means is "has the car got a canbus/multiplex wiring system", which I'm pretty sure your car has!

If so, then you cannot simply wire in the old fashioned towbar electrics into the lights like the good old days. Modern wiring systems like those I refer to above carry the main power down one wire and very low voltage signals in the light wiring to tell which light to switch on. There isn't enough power to light the towbar electrics from these wires. Plus, if you start tampering with the wires you risk the computer getting confused thinking that tail bulbs have blown. It may then start compensating by lighting the brake lights at low voltage to emulate the taillight, for example. In short, it won't work!

There's two options, either you can fit a bypass relay that powers straight from the car battery and gets a signal from the lights as to when to activate without messing them up, or you can buy a vehicle specific wiring kit that usually plugs straight into the rear fusebox and often requires activation from a dealer.

Guess which of the two is more expensive!

If in doubt, ask a Ford dealer and then buy the right electrics from your towbar supplier.

This explains it better than me:

www.towsure.com/bespoke/wiring_chooser.html