What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
04 1.4 TDCi Engine Swap - mexady
Hi People, Just like to say looking at some of the threads, what a great site, hope I can help out sometime.
Unfortunately this time it is me who needs help.
My wifes Fiesta came home last week (still running) with oil spraying on the windscreen
upon further investigation the small pipe from the bottom of the expansion tank had blown off because the tank was also full of oil. After stripping it down I found oil in the radiator, heat exchanger, and all the water pipes and waterways on the engine. To cut a long story short I took it out, bit the bullet, and bought a new engine out of a 58 plate car with 1900 miles on. I was informed they were the same, I changed the diesel pump as I thought the PATS were in the pump, I also changed the crank & cam sensors as the plugs were different,and also the mass air sensor. A new radiator and heat exchanger later, I figured we were ready to go, not at all, now the engine management light is on and it will not turn over more than 3 times then it stops. Somebody told me they are not the same, and i'll need a later ECU to run it, is there any end to it,can we not work on our cars any more, I would welcome any suggestions, thanks
04 1.4 TDCi Engine Swap - 547HEW
I think the two engines are essentially the same basic engine.

Your original engine might be to Stage 3 emissions level. Your donor engine is certainly to Stage 4 emissions level. If this is the case you will need to fit the vacuum operated EGR valve from your original engine to the "new" engine. As I say, this only applies if your original engine is Stage 3.

Also you will need to fit the cam pulley from your original engine as the new engine has a different timing target. You might need to play with the positions of the cam and crank sensors to get good signals.

HTH

04 1.4 TDCi Engine Swap - mexady
Thanks very much, I certainly hadn't considered that ! I'll give it a try this coming week and let you know how I get on. Cheers
04 1.4 TDCi Engine Swap - Jackel
Hi There

I was wondering if you could tell me a bit more about this engine swap I have just encountered a situation where I now need to change the engine in my wife's Fiesta 1.4 tdci 05 model I have been offered a 1.4 tdci engine from a Ford Fusion 08 model with 8000 miles on it after reading your post I was wondering how you resolved your starting/running problems did you need a later model ecu ? I understand that I need to use my original pump and injectors to avoid having to re-code the new ones however I am now wondering about anything else I may need to salvage from the donor vehicle in order to get mine running ECU etc. any help you could give me would be much appreciated as I am being told several different things by many people and not sure what to do.

Thanks
04 1.4 TDCi Engine Swap - Dave stuck

Hi did swapping g the cam wheel sort this out I'm in the same boat