What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Considering new Laguna Tourer - Am I mad? - dodo
Well our trusty Mazda MPV will soon be 6 years old and while mileage is low (35000 miles) we would like something diffeent. The Mazda although dynamically not brilliant has been ultra reliable and is in good condition. Called in to the local Renault dealer today at lunch time (in my work car) and was astounded to be a offered a brand new Laguna Tourer estate 1.9 DCi Dynamic S (17" alloys part leather and reverse sensors) in a lovely metallic blue for £12995!.

Its a lovely car and the saleman will consider the Mazda 'at a fair price'. Given past posts about the last Laguna I am anxious about spending my hard earned on a car that is unreliable. Have Renault turned a corner and has anyone experience of 20000+ miles in the 'new' Laguna?
Considering new Laguna Tourer - Am I mad? - Alby Back
Wanting to change your car after six years, assuming you have had it from new or for a while, is understandable. The Renault is a very attractive car and may well be an excellent and reliable replacement. If the deal looks good financially I can see the attraction.

What would occur to me though in this particular automotive triangle is that two of the participants are almost certain to be happy.

1 / Certainly the Renault dealer because they have shifted a car.
2 / Assuredly the subsequent purchaser of your Mazda because they will probably not pay much for it but will get a good reliable car which is hardly run in.
3 / Possibly you because you might be delighted with the Renault.

Question is, how lucky do you feel ?

;-)
Considering new Laguna Tourer - Am I mad? - Lud
Isn't this a cheap moment to buy a new car? And would anyone seriously suggest that a new Laguna is likely to be a lot of heartache and disappointment?

Just wondered.
Considering new Laguna Tourer - Am I mad? - Armitage Shanks {p}
I'd get rid of it before the warranty ran out. French electrics and the reputation of Renault's diesel engines would frighten me, especially if I was spending my own money.
Considering new Laguna Tourer - Am I mad? - BobbyG
Can't really comment on the car itself but would say that buy it on its merits, not on any perceived saving.

We sometimes get drawn into buy car for x, its normal retail is y. However, if no one is paying y, and everyone gets it for x, then x is the price and any depreciation will be based on that and not the MRP.

So if you think it is good car for the money then go ahead, but don't base it on the perceived saving.

FWIW, I have had several Scenic diesels and liked them all. Thought the 19 had been dropped for a 2.0 now?
Considering new Laguna Tourer - Am I mad? - mikeyb
Take into account that Renault have hinted that they may axe the Laguna as early as 2010 with no replacement. If they do that it would be worth about 20p
Considering new Laguna Tourer - Am I mad? - DP
The biggest problem with Renaults is depreciation. Our Scenic, with the options on it (pretty much all of them) would have listed at £22k new. I know nobody pays that, but bear with me. We bought it at 30 months and 30k old for £8750. Two years on, with another 30k it's probably worth no more than £4800 on a good day!

The reliability doubts have, in our experience been unfounded. We have the 1.9 dCi (F9Q) engine, albeit the later variant with the EGR and turbo mods. It's done 62,000 miles, still pulls like a train, is still silky smooth and uses no more than half a litre of oil between services.

I would have a new Laguna, but no way would I buy one new just from the depreciation view.

Edited by DP on 18/02/2009 at 19:40

Considering new Laguna Tourer - Am I mad? - MVP
Yes

I reckon your current Mazda will be more reliable and last longer than a new Goona ;)

MVP
I am with the last post - will keep the Mazda!
Considering new Laguna Tourer - Am I mad? - Rattle
My friends Clio has been a very very reliable car until she crashed it. Electrics wise there are a couple of niggles but its stuff she can easily live with. Mechanicaly 50k engine still silent, dosn't use any oil or water, no smoke, no mis fires, smooth etc.
Considering new Laguna Tourer - Am I mad? - MVP
Dodo

If you change your mind next year, you will probably be able to buy a 12 month old Goona for about £5k, and your Mazda will probably be worth nearly the same :)

MVP

Edited by MVP on 20/02/2009 at 09:12

Considering new Laguna Tourer - Am I mad? - gingerdad
i've got one had it from new, now got 27k miles, no problems, engine is great
Considering new Laguna Tourer - Am I mad? - Mr.Tee43
Was going to get my daughter a Renault Clio, about 2003/4 vintage, and was just about to buy one with a dashboard warning light lit up. I was told it was just a service light that the independanr had "forgot" to turn off.

That was until I read through this lot.

www.carsurvey.org/reviews/renault/clio/r25613/comm.../

It put us right off.
Considering new Laguna Tourer - Am I mad? - Galad
If you're aiming to change it before the 3 year warranty is up then fine. But being a DCi, you're on your own once the warranty expires and I've heard nightmare tales of faulty injectors, failed fuel pumps, EGR valves replaced and all sorts of electronic problems that could make the rather cheap purchase price potentially appear very, very expensive in the end.
Considering new Laguna Tourer - Am I mad? - RicardoB
I had a sit in one the other day (didn't get a chance to drive it though) and thought how comfy it seemed, the layout of dash etc. OK, it was only for a few minutes, but first impressions.

I know it's a bit off topic, but I keep looking at and drooling a bit at the Laguna coupe (I think I'm at that sort of age now where I fancy a coupe/2 door!) But then I get the same pangs of worry that others have mentioned such as the reliability, dealers and, of course, depreciation.

Shame - lovely looking car - the coupe version.
Considering new Laguna Tourer - Am I mad? - Avant
This thread was started nearly 6 months ago - but fear not, Dodo is far from extinct. He's ordering a new Golf in one thread, scrapping a Fiesta for a Golf in another, and suffering from a rattly BMW in Technical Matters. And, of course, keeping the Mazda.
Yes Dodo alive and well! New Golf ordered for my mum (bless her) as a family present for next (significant) birthday. Lovely BMW used on fair days and weekends (now no longer rattly thanks to excellent advice Avant) and yes my wife still has the trusty Mazda. We took on holidays this year and did 1500 trouble free miles at 38 mpg. Zero street cred but as they say in this part of the world 'owes me nowt'. I have taked to one new Laguna driver who has had his fair share of problems and his teenaged children were unhappy because of limited space for feet in the back. Report ends!