What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
F1 Virgin ? - Altea Ego
Ah its a virgin job - it will be sold off in two years in huge fanfare and go bust 6 months later due to the high debts it got during virgin ownership.
F1 Virgin ? - oilrag
Now with a 450 mph upload speed (to the first corner) only to be restricted to 38mph after an hours running.
F1 Virgin ? - oilrag
However.. I always hoped there were other fish... to Fry.

Edited by oilrag on 18/02/2009 at 13:45

F1 Virgin ? - quizman
I agree with henry k it's a publicity stunt.
Virgin are pathetic in the way they get on all these things. Have they bought that bank yet? If they had they could have found the dosh to pay for Honda.
Weren't they going to buy Rover at one time, or was I dreaming?
F1 Virgin ? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Lucky escape for Honda! What ever happened to Virgin Cola and Virgin vodka, for example? Long gone I think!
F1 Virgin ? - b308
So he makes some mistakes... so what, any decent entrepreneur does that!... I get the impression with people who crititicise Branson that they don't like him because of his success and he's flashy and feel that they have to try to nail something on him... jealousy, I think its called...

As regards Rover, be couldn't have done any worse than its last three owners before the present lot, one lot sold it off as soon as they could for profit, next lot stripped it of the best bits and then sold it to the next lot who made it go bust.... I rather suspect than the Rover workers would have rather had Branson in charge!
F1 Virgin ? - Altea Ego
So he makes some mistakes... so what any decent entrepreneur does that!... I get the
impression with people who crititicise Branson that they don't like him because of his success
and he's flashy and feel that they have to try to nail something on him...
jealousy I think its called...

What success is that then?

(dont mention Virgin Airlines it had to be balied out by singapore ailines years ago)
F1 Virgin ? - b308
See how much he is worth... any of the "rich lists" will help you... then tell me he's not a success.
F1 Virgin ? - Altea Ego
and see the list of failed companies he left behind.
F1 Virgin ? - jbif
and see the list of failed companies he left behind.

IMO:

Good luck to Branson. I wish there were more of his ilk in Britain. Private enterprising men and women, the kind who with their spirit enabled this tiny Island with a tiny population to have an empire beyond imagination.

If you don't try, you won't fail.

Do you subscribe to the NuLab mentality "everyone is equal, no one can fail, success is bad, mediocrity or average bog standard is best, no one should win, no one should lose, drag everyone down to the same low achieving status of sink state schools".

It is due to enterprising people [just like Branson] such as Bernie Ecclestone, Ron Dennis, Frank Williams, and many others that Britain enjoys its leading role in the F1 world.

p.s. I think Virgin Cola and Vodka are still on the market.

Edited by jbif on 19/02/2009 at 10:19

F1 Virgin ? - Altea Ego
>Do you subscribe to the NuLab mentality "everyone is equal, no one can fail, success is >bad, mediocrity or average bog standard is best, no one should win, no one should lose, >drag everyone down to the same low achieving status of sink state schools

No I subscribe to the emperors new clothes theory...... We need Private enterprising men and women, the kind who with their spirit enabled this tiny Island with a tiny population to have an empire beyond imagination providing stable and sustainable companies, products and institutions behind for the future

F1 Virgin ? - b308
Like they used to in the old days i suppose... we're getting a bit off topic here, but if you look at the history of this country all the successful businessmen were like Branson, companies came and went, were taken over, sometimes failed... thats life (and capitalism) for you... now its clear that you don't like him but thats no reason to deny that he's been successful, as have many others of his ilk... At least he is prepared to try new things even if they don't work... unlike some who buy up and strip businesses, or Bankers who haven't got a clue how to run Banks...

Tell you what, you find me a genuine multi millionaire businessman who hasn't got some skeletons in his cupboard and I'll show you a flying pig...
F1 Virgin ? - jbif
.. who hasn't got some skeletons in his cupboard ... >>

People have tried but failed to find any skeletons.
The following is a quote from an article in the Times [not linked as per HJ's site policy*]
" His penchant for appearing in PR stunts accompanied by attractive women has often resulted in tabloid tittle-tattle.
Investigative journalists have tried to dissect the complexity of the Virgin empire to prove that it is built of sand. None has succeeded, although the long list of ventures that have faltered is regularly revisited to prove the point
But there are also plenty of successes ... Even the sceptics seem to have a grudging admiration for the entrepreneur. Tom Bower, who wrote an unflattering biography, ....
"

* Site Policy:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=2&t=33...4
"You may make reference to The Times/Sunday Times as in "there was this article mentioned in The Times", ... but do not post the link .. "

F1 Virgin ? - jbif
.. providing stable and sustainable companies, products and institutions behind for the future >>

Can you name five British people who are doing that in the UK, and who you therefore admire/approve?

Arnold Weinstock tried, but due to his son's premature death, his legacy was passed on to and destroyed by MBA and FCA qualified men who took over his companies.

It is reported that Sugar "Sir Alan" has sold out manufacturing and gone in to property.

Even the foreigners are having trouble, cash is disappearing down the drain. Do these people meet your criteria?
Abrhamovich at Chelsea.
Tata at LR-Jag and Corus.
Mittal - does they have any UK businesses that meet your criteria?
How about Murdoch at Sky and Newsgroup?

Who else apart from Ron Dennis is putting their own money in to UK motorsport?

F1 Virgin ? - Altea Ego
Dragging this back to F1 - At the moment, the guys at donnington are investing a shed load into the F1 GP franchise, but apart from that no-one is putting new money into UK motorsport - and nor will virgin. They dont have that amount of money required to run a f1 team.
F1 Virgin ? - henry k
>>Dragging this back to F1..

""There are various offers for the team but we haven't seen any serious buyer," Honda president Takeo Fukui said."

news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/79...m
F1 Virgin ? - quizman
See how much he is worth... any of the "rich lists" will help you... then
tell me he's not a success.

That's what they used to say about Captain Bob.