What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
Sad number plate fiddling. - FotheringtonThomas
Why? Why bother to put that yellow/white/black bolt just *there* so that your number plate has your initials, or something that? Why bother to hack the "4" about, so that it's distorted and looks like an A? Change "5" into "S"? This after dropping the boy off at school this morning, & looking at the mummies cars made up like this. A Lard Rover Discovery with an oblong plate decorated with what should have been "NXXX/MXX" changed to "LXXXM/XX" (or something like that). Just to say "I'm handy with a drill and screws!", or "I can stick tape on stuff!", or "I gave someone outside the UK a drink to make these sad 'plates!"? Pshaw!
Sad number plate fiddling. - Alanovich
It's to show you they are special, and of interest to others. Like a slebrity, innit? Thereby gaining your respect. They also wish to inform you of their superior financial status. Thereby gaining still more respect. It is no coincidence that this phenomenon is most often espied adorning an SUV.

We are all supposed to be impressed.

It staggers me that people waste their time, energy and money on such things. Hey ho.
Sad number plate fiddling. - Andrew-T
>Thereby gaining your respect ..

well that was a dismal failure then.
Sad number plate fiddling. - Dulwich Estate
Ah! But the really "classy" thing is to get an explanation of the contorted lettering printed in smaller typecase at the bottom of the plate where the supplier's details are usually shown.

A made up example might be: D45 9FEB, with the printing below: Donna & Steve 9 February.
Ah! But the really "classy" thing is to get an explanation of the contorted lettering
printed in smaller typecase at the bottom of the plate where the supplier's details are
usually shown.

Oh dear. Oh, dear oh dear. Really? Never! I haven't examined the silly things that closely. Oh, dear oh dear oh dear oh dear (etc.). That's sad, man....
Sad number plate fiddling. - MVP
The realy sad thing is when it's done on what would ordinarily be a nice car

Chavtastic

MVP
Sad number plate fiddling. - gordonbennet
Oh dear. Oh dear oh dear.

Seen lots of them too, usually gives the name in full to justify the initials above, an inflated sense of one's own importance maybe?

SWMBO does want a particular plate that adorns a car i've seen in the county.
Being a woman who doesn't suffer fools gladly (except for me who she lovingly tolerates) she freely admits to having a remarkably short fuse, one sixteenth of a second at the last check, and this plate spells exactly her attitude and ends in the letters COW.
Sad number plate fiddling. - Lud
Why oh why does anyone give a tuppenny damn what other people do to their number plates?

When I notice something like that, which is seldom, I am amused, or not. But I really, really don't care one little bit one way or the other. However naff the effort, I don't think ill of the car owner. Tastes differ.
Sad number plate fiddling. - motorprop
glad you started this thread , was thinking about it the other day , when observing a perfectly normal Hilux pick up with a number plate that was doctored to read ' Pi0k up ' , with a bolt in the zero to make it a C ....

Very very sad people , but so long as they're paying taxes with that, each time they change cars or plates , then it's harmless - laughing at them that is .
Sad number plate fiddling. - 1400ted
perfectly normal Hilux pick up with a number plate that was doctored to read '

If that owner had seen the HiLux parked in our road a couple of weeks ago, he'd have been green with envy....H! LUX.
properly spaced as well.
Ted
Sad number plate fiddling. - Alanovich
2 minutes hate, Lud. I'm guilty as charged.
Sad number plate fiddling. - ForumNeedsModerating
Why oh why does anyone give a tuppenny damn what other people do to their number plates?

Classic example of an oxymoron Lud. If you don't care about what plates people have & berate others for caring - why bother enough to say you don't care about it?
It shows you care enough to comment on others' opinions on the subject - which is the equivalent of commenting on the original topic!

On the matter in hand, my area of N.Wales, I've discovered, has the highest percentage of numpty plates in the UK - or equal highest with somewhere likewise blighted.

Which I'm sooooo not surprised by - numpty plates are a precise indicator of misplaced aspirations to petit bourgeois status - something in which this naff little backwater abounds.

They also serve as very good warning to steer (both literally & metaphorically) well clear of the possessor- in the same way that facial tattoos might.
numpty plates

Oh, I hadn't heard that expression before. Very amusing. I don't get out much!
Sad number plate fiddling. - scouseford
Woodbines

You are from N Wales and there are a lot of numpty plates around there? Surely it is fertile ground for Mr Brunstrom, the Chief Constable. The last time I looked, altering the normal layout of a registration plate was an offence.

I'm amazed that Mr B hasn't had a campaign to round up the offenders. It must be one of the easiest offences to spot.
It shows you care enough to comment on others' opinions on the subject - which is the >> equivalent of commenting on the original topic!

Yes, I suppose commenting on anything at all reduces one in a way to that thing's level. When I am irritated by people here trying a bit too hard to show that they are not numpties by pointing derisively at others they believe to be numpties, I suppose I too am trying to prove I am not a numpty of the sort that picks on small things to criticise others and feel better about myself.

You have put me in my place, woodbines. I graciously accept that it is difficult to avoid at least the suspicion of numptiness in a virtual community of people of adult years who profess a liking for the automobile.
Sad number plate fiddling. - stevied
Ouch!!! Poor petit bourgeoisie! Which part of North Wales do you live? Or rather in which part of North Wales do you live? : )

My "favourite" is the bloke who has the three Ferraris with the plates NOT 1, NOT 2, BUT 3. It only works if they're next to each other... that is money to burn eh?!
Sad number plate fiddling. - John F
When I notice something like that which is seldom I am amused or not. But
I really really don't care one little bit one way or the other. However naff
the effort I don't think ill of the car owner. .

I agree with Lud on this....some are quite amusing. The best I've seen [only as a picture] was PEN 1 S on an Jaguar E-type. One person's naffness is another's style statement.
As someone who relies largely on HMG for my income I am grateful for the revenue - I believe DVLC makes a charge for such plates.
While idly scanning one of those micro-printed ads for registrations which seem to attract enough numpties to support a business, I noticed with surprise one which I had theorised about years ago: ORG45M . I wasn't tempted.

But in this locality I often see a vehicle christened FR05HAM. Not exactly accurate, but a good attempt.
Sad number plate fiddling. - anthonyf
That number used to be on a Rolls I think. Was telling my wife about it years ago, no decades ago, when driving through Ealing on the North Circular when she spotted it coming the other way. Laugh???? You bet.
Sad number plate fiddling. - b308
A made up example might be: D45 9FEB with the printing below: Donna & Steve
9 February.

People actually do that?!! Amazing!... and just who do they think will go up and read it?
Sad number plate fiddling. - jbif
Classic example of an oxymoron Lud.>>

Sad that we are all so bothered by such sad numberplates to have a thread about this sad business.
>> A made up example might be: D45 9FEB with the printing below: Donna & Steve 9 February. >> >>
People actually do that?!! Amazing!... and just who do they think will go up and read it? >>

Who will read it? The answer is that a person who checks the plate for compliance with the DVLA regulations. He/she might just get fooled in to thinking that it is the name and address of the supplier. [Donna & Steve]. ;-)

Sad number plate fiddling. - Old Navy
Dont worry, the Darren & Tracy sun shields are bound to come back into fashion eventually. More to laugh at.
Sad number plate fiddling. - Ross Ewage
How much will it cost to change my name by Deed Poll to X582 **K?

Probably cheaper than new plates

Edited by Ross Ewage on 11/02/2009 at 16:40

You don't need to change it "by Deed Poll". Change it by common usage. Must be better than your current unfortunately-chosen nom de plume.
Sad number plate fiddling. - Mick Snutz
You don't need to change it "by Deed Poll". Change it by common usage. Must
be better than your current unfortunately-chosen nom de plume.

How very dare you FT. My parents simply had a sense of humour.
;-)
Sad number plate fiddling. - Stroudie
I laughed all the way home some years ago after I saw the "special" number BMP 2 A on an obviously newer car.
To the left of the plate, on the boot lid, in black tape,it read-"TA RA RA"
Some of them work!
In the 80s, I transported a BMW to Chester LTO for cherished number inspection for a customer. The number he had bought was DVV **. I wondered why, as it wasn't his initials. But by pushing the VV together they became DW which were' Sad ?....Earned me a day's pay 'tho.
Ted
Sad number plate fiddling. - greenhey
Please don't be cruel to these people and their plates.
The plates serve a useful purpose. In a busy world, they save us the time we might have spent talking to them to find out they are idiots.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 11/08/2009 at 13:39

Sad number plate fiddling. - El Hacko
quite so - sign of a sad ego problem .. but not doing any harm to others .. so live and let etc. I just wonder, if many of these plates are probably illegal, how do they get thru MoTs?
Sad number plate fiddling. - bathtub tom
>>how do they get thru MoTs?

They change the plates - so I'm led to believe.
Sad number plate fiddling. - Harleyman
It's a bit like graffiti on the toilet wall; most of it's mindless junk, not even worth reading; but there is the odd one which is good for a laugh.

I seem to remember years ago, seeing a Cortina Crusader which sported the plate, OBO110X which was sold for far more than a Dagenham Dustbin could possibly be worth on account of the humourous value of its registration.

The big thing in these parts up to a few years ago was to own a C-class Mercedes or a BMW, and put an Irish plate on it so that it was difficult to tell how old the car was. Sad, but true.
Sad number plate fiddling. - madux

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/02/2009 at 03:02

Sad number plate fiddling. - bristol01
I often tend to see such vehicles parked bang in the middle of two parking spaces in car parks, as their drivers are too important to consider using just one. Probably have plates sporting W4!KER or similar clever word game.
Sad number plate fiddling. - MikeTorque
Why do they do it ?

Simple, they want the police to stop them and have them check their insurance details, MOT, tyres, car defects etc. so they can then pay an additional fine to help reduce the national debt. After all they obviously have money to throw away on buying & fitting illegal number plates so why not throw away more money on fines and waste police time etc. One brick short of a full load etc.
Sad number plate fiddling. - barneybear
how many fail MOT?
Mine did. and no it wasn't a numpty plate. I bought brand new so had dealer fitted plates. 3 years later on 1st MOT it failed. 'cos the letters/numbers were not spaced correctly. I did get the supplier to cough up for new plates though.
Sad number plate fiddling. - davecooper
Top chav plates- CAZ, DAZ, TAZ, BAZ, GAZ and any other AZ you can think of.
One of the best plates I have seen was F40ONLY on, you guessed it an F40. One strange one is the guy I see daily in an M3 with a plate M5 XXX. Wonder if he knows what he is driving.
Sad number plate fiddling. - LiverpaulH
I am amused by the people who bought the new volkswagen beetle when it first came out and splashed on a BUG number plate. One such lady in our area had a light blue beetle which had the number Pxx BUG, the number now adorns a BMW 1 series (quite appropriately IMO).

As a company we have a set of private plates on our lorries all A plates 1 & 2 and 11-20. The main reason though is we own all our vehicles and won't buy brand new, so with the private plates on the vehicles which are all kept immaculately clean and well maintained look as good as brand new vehicles. It also stops the drivers moaning about so and so having a newer lorry than me etc.
>>Top chav plates- CAZ, DAZ, TAZ, BAZ, GAZ and any other AZ you can think of.

I bought an NI reg Micra for my daughter with one of these. I bought the car for what it was. I had no interest in the plate. I don't believe I paid above the going rate for the car.

Does this mean it can be sold at a premium?
Sad number plate fiddling. - meandering
Respect to the BMW driver with the number P9SER.... The 9 was hacked around to look very like an O.
Sad number plate fiddling. - Harleyman
I bought an NI reg Micra for my daughter with one of these. >>
Does this mean it can be sold at a premium?

Possibly. Check one of the listings magazines or indeed the Daily Telegraph motoring section; it will give you a guide.

Beware of dealers though, you might do better on e-bay if you can be bothered with the paperwork and sorting it yourself. I think DVLA's website has alll the "how-to's".

I,ve just seen an ad. for a VW Beetle 1.6, with a "BUG" number plate worth, apparently, £700. Pish.
My Suzi V came with a single no. plate already on it. Similar on DVLA £999.
Anyone out there called KAS want a plate half price ?.....I thought not !
Ted
Sad number plate fiddling. - gsb
Only £999 tinyurl.com/dz7asx

Keep remembering others from my past. When Jag brought out it's XJ6, A Manchester dealer in Peter Street, I think it was Rosenfields, actually owned the number XJ 6, which was issued by Manchester Licencing. A clever one I used to see on the M6 occasionally was on a large van belonging to a game butchers...VEN 150N.
Our local butcher has B1 EEF on his van. I've mentioned a local Merc..G1 ANT.
Ted
I am amused to see that this thread is gradually turning from derision to approval of amusing number plates.

Pay attention though when the number plates you notice seem to contain coded messages aimed at you personally. You may be going mad.

When I see cars with number plates like that, I try to give them a wide berth.

:o}
I am amused to see that this thread is gradually turning from derision to approval
of amusing number plates.

It has morphed. The OP concerned positioning of bolts, tape, and altering numbers/letters.
I saw one last night with a black bolt altering one of the characters, but it didn't make anything recognizable, an upside down Q or the Greek letter pi, something like that.
Was the next letter "I"? Perhaps a pub. landlord, or habitual drinker.
Sad number plate fiddling. - massey
A guy around my neck of the woods has the plate on a big 4X4

*** STD

(Don't think he knows the connection with a Sexually Transmitted Disease?)

Edited by massey on 13/02/2009 at 17:51

Sad number plate fiddling. - henry k
A reminder on a car parked in my road the other day

V 14 FEB
Sad number plate fiddling. - ole cruiser
OK, I admit I was amused this morning to see a truck carrying portapotties with the registration V*LOO. Ones that are amusing in themselves, or mean something to the owner, are fair enough. Ones that are manipulated to look like something else are "pass the sick bucket".
> A truck carrying portapotties .

There used to be an outfit in that line of business with vehicles P* PEE and P* POO ..
Sad number plate fiddling. - davecooper
Seen locally, B1 CEP. I hope he can back this up. No problem with this sort of plate, it is the subject of this thread, moved screws and distorted letters etc that I find sad.
I agree with Dave. Always nice to see a perfectly legal plate thatr eads something without any 'fiddling' I have a book, 'Car Numbers' by Noel Woodall which lists hundreds of numbers.( how sad am I ?) A car radio firm near me has RAD 104 . Was on a Nissan Escargot van. It's a fairly old book and things change, TAX 1 was on a Golf and 1 RAQ ,don't know how they got away with that, the Iraqi Embassy.
THE 924S on the correct Porsche.
Ted
RAD 105

Seen near Toddington services on the M1. A Bentley IIRC.

Nice to know where the license payer's money's going.
Sad number plate fiddling. - the swiss tony
8< Snip

Why is it whenever we have a numberplate thread they always go the same way as previous number plate threads. ie, descending to a level inappropriate to the BackRoom standard that we like to maintain - in short no more risqué number plates please; made up ones or genuine.

DD.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/02/2009 at 03:00

Sad number plate fiddling. - Kiwi Gary
Not sad, but humourous. Reported in a major local paper, WEEDOC. Caused a bit of headscratching round the bazaars as to what it meant. The owner wrote in to say that he was a urologist, but the plate was a present from his grown-up children. In his younger days at school, son had to write about his family, and had great difficulty spelling urologist, so wrote, "My father is a wee wee doctor". Within the family, the name stuck, hence the plates.
Sad number plate fiddling. - ex-Triumph man
There's a real Dr Who fanatic in Dumfries with D8WHO doctored (if you will excuse the pun) to DR WHO with the use of a yellow number plate screw cover. He also has what looks like a real dalek in his lounge window!
Sad number plate fiddling. - Sprint
Pimlico Plumbers have a range of vehicles with (in my opinion) some quite amusing, (and legal?) plates: tinyurl.com/b3zbhg

Sad number plate fiddling. - henry k
I was following a newish van from one of the biggest courier companies in the world and it had, to my great surprise, an illegal number plate.
Most odd. The plate looked to be normal size, font looked OK but all the letters and numbers were equally spaced, there was some sort of badge/flag on the left side and of course no BS number etc.

I wonder how this situation came about. Are these operations franchised to individuals?
I would image the compnay would not be too pleased if it was aware.
Sad number plate fiddling. - Westpig
Pimlico Plumbers have a range of vehicles with (in my opinion) some quite amusing (and
legal?) plates: tinyurl.com/b3zbhg

Blimey,

I'll be looking for 'KAZ 1999' now and seeing if I can buy it cheap to sell on to Pimlico Plumbers
Sad number plate fiddling. - Waino
Guess which county I was working in last week when I saw:
a) A blonde in a small Merc sports car with HOT 41T
b) A large 4x4 (driven 3yds behind the car in front) with G1 MME

Only the letter spacings were altered slightly.
Sad number plate fiddling. - DP
My favourite plate is on a 911 I saw on the M3 last year.

B457ARD

With the 4 and 7 appropriately hacked.

Occasionally a private plate gives me a chuckle, but they really don't bother me. If that's what people choose to spend money on then fair enough. It's a free country.

Cheers
DP

Saw one last week with (something, something)ZENA on it. The Z had been made by adding 1/2" Dymo tape or something to the 7. Risible. Neither one thing nor another, scared of going the whole hog & using thicker tape!
Sad number plate fiddling. - OldSock
I can't say it bothers me unduly - no more risible than people eschewing their perfectly respectable '17 Gasworks Street' and calling it 'Fairhaven', or somesuch tosh....
You can't see any similarity between people buying an old banger and writing "Porshe" on it in felt-tip, then?
Sad number plate fiddling. - OldSock
You can't see any similarity between people buying an old banger and writing "Porshe" on
it in felt-tip then?

No, FT - no comment.
Sad number plate fiddling. - tintin01
Well, I had posted about the legal reg on a drain cleaning co's van, but the swear filter has jumped in. Nevermind.

Edited by tintin01 on 19/03/2009 at 13:15

Sad number plate fiddling. - Pebble
So just what *are* the rules regarding personalised plates in the UK? Here, the plates on my old Crown Vic read HAPYPBL for a while..."Happy pebble," promoting my hometown!