What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
IF...I were to have an accident? - KB.
I have a nearly new Jazz and as part of the purchase I received a card and details of the... "Honda*** dealers name*** Accident Aftercare" service. It gives me a 24 hour number to call and they handle the accident by arranging collection to a Honda approved repairer and use Honda parts, courtesy car and manangement of the claim on my behalf as well as recovery of uninsured losses if not my fault. So now I can call them and let them sort it out - or call the Ins. Co. and deal direct with them (Ins. Co. said I could request a Honda approved repairer but I don't know whether they would still offer courtesy car if I make that request). The Ins. Co. said, when I asked them today, it's up to me who I call but it's better to go direct to them...."thats what you're paying us for". Honda Accident Aftercare said it's up to me who I call but it's better to go through them as they will work on my behalf. So who would you call? Who's paying for the Honda aftercare? and do you lose control of the accident management if you do use them? On the phone the Aftercare assistant didn't endear herself to me and we didn't have a terribly meaningful conversation and she certainly didn't sell the service to me, but that may not count for much. Would be grateful for anyones previous experience before it happens. PS - I haven't had an accident - just trying to be prepared in case the worst did happen.

Edited by KB. on 09/02/2009 at 15:48

IF...I were to have an accident? - Altea Ego
My experience of my last accident?

I was hauled off in an ambulance leaving the wreckage of the car strewn down the side of the road. The police arranged collection of the wreckage to a holding area. Not till the next day was the insurance company infomed, and accident management swung into action.

If yours is not as severe then

1/ Call your Honda aftercare to take care of the (undriveable?) car
2/ Call your insurance company and tell them your aftercare company is involved

That way you get both working for you, and if either drops the ball you have the other working for you.

Bear in mind any insurance company business model is to charge as much as it can and pay out as little as it has to.
IF...I were to have an accident? - martint123
I would have thought the Honda outfit were mainly in it for the money and ensuring they get the repair business. The language sounds just like the normal ambulance chasers.

A lot depends on whose fault the accident was.
You'd still have to inform your insurer.
IF...I were to have an accident? - Falkirk Bairn
My DiL Civic was shunted from behind. They called Ins Co who said they would take care of all matters. They were pathetic and my son had to do the chasing. When he found out the colour match was done by Stevie Wonder Colour Matching the Ins Co shrugged their shoulders.

My vote would be the Honda Accident Mgt as they cannot be worse than his experience with a large telephone based insurer (who do not appear on comparison sites IIRC)
IF...I were to have an accident? - bathtub tom
>>a large telephone based insurer

Would that be a large red telephone based insurer ?
IF...I were to have an accident? - Altea Ego
Compare that to my wife experience of a telephone based insurance company with a big red telephone.

She bashed the rear 3/4 panel of a 3 door clio. She phoned them up, and a report was filled out on the phone. An appointment was made, a local body shop rep turned up with a loan car, and 4 days later they phoned to say it was ready. I said i would come and inspect the car before they returned it. After parking my car behind a collection of waiting wrecked expensive exotica i inspected the the car. The quality of the work was superb with very very good matching on 5 year old doom blue paintwork. Wife drops off loaner and drives away with a spotless motor.

Painless and quality service.

IF...I were to have an accident? - Rattle
My dads experience too with same company. He had three accidents in his Punto (must have been an unlucky car, he has never had a bump in any other car, but this one just seemed to attract bad drivers). Two accidents were not at all his fault, the other one was.

First two accidents the car was repaired and came back looking like a brand new car, the body shop they used even valleted it! Third accident they wrote it off and gave us a very fair price for it (after haggeling).

IF...I were to have an accident? - dacouch
KB call it a lucky guess but I would guess the accident was your fault.

The reason I say this is these accident management companies normally make their money by gathering your details and if your are injured they sell it to a solicitor for around £350 commission and if they can get you in a credit hire car they make around another £150...However they cannot do this if the accident was your fault hence her not being not that interested in you.

It is known for some of these companies to ring the other party if the accident was your fault and offer to handle their injury claim and / or give them a credit hire car.
IF...I were to have an accident? - rtj70
KB call it a lucky guess but I would guess the accident was your fault.

He says he hasn't had an accident. He is trying to determine which one to call if he did have an accident.
IF...I were to have an accident? - dacouch
Sorry I miss read the first post.

I would recommend you ring the Insurer direct rather than in effect a third party who will take the same details and then ring your Insurer. Like I said in my other post if you ring them they will be trying to give you a credit hire vehicle (See other threads for warnings) and / or an injury claim. If your not injured they will ring the third party and ask if they can give them a credit hire vehicle and do they want to claim which can push your premium up further than just a straight small claim
IF...I were to have an accident? - KB.
Thanks rtj70 for interceding on my behalf.....I should have made it clearer fron the outset that I was anticipating the worst and not seeking advice after it. The advice has been mixed - I would probably tend towards either going direct to the Ins. Co. or, as was suggested, telling both!