What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
06 1.6TDCi Front suspension knock - newfocusfan
Hello,

I've recently bought a 2006 Focus Ghia estate, my first Focus. We're very pleased with it, it's a great drive with the CVT box and has been well maintained, being an ex-lease car from a national bank. Mileage is 46k.

There were no nasties on the test drive, but now I notice a loud knock from the front suspension (I assume...) when I drive the car first thing in the morning. The knocking only happens maybe 4 or 5 times, within the first few hundred metres, and then it's fine all day. It's almost as though something is rusting together overnight, and it takes a few jolts to free it up.

Any ideas what it could be, and whether I need to worry just yet? My Googling has revealed that Ford suspension bushes may not be up to scratch, but surely if it's a worn bush then the knocking would be througout the drive, not just the first few hundred metres, no?

Many thanks in advance!

Pete.
06 1.6TDCi Front suspension knock - MikeTorque
Sounds like it's a very tight track rod end, eventually it'll fail big time, it's a known issue with these cars. Check both of the track rod ends, if either is tight it/they will need replacing, they should move easily if funtioning ok. I've had to replace one on my 1.6 TDCi, problem solved. A Ford dealer/Rapid Fit can replace them while you wait.
06 1.6TDCi Front suspension knock - newfocusfan
Many thanks for the suggestion, I shall get that looked into. Just out of curiosity, what can I expect to happen if it fails on a drive?