What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
04 1.8 Reversing light - KevHull87
This looks like i've got a very dodgy car, adding 3 posts within 5 minutes.

I've had a problem with my reversing light for a few months now, but all of a sudden over the last couple of weeks, its been coming back on, but only intermittently.

I dont want to take it to an auto electrician as they can't give a price on how much it will be to even look at, never mind fix it, so if there's any solutions except changing the bulb that would be very helpful.

Thanks
04 1.8 Reversing light - redviper
I dont know much about your car but...

I would say that its the reversing light switch, which normally (on my Vauxhall at least) is mounted on the gear box (AFAIK I may be wrong) i would say that if you can locate it then checking/replacing this is your 1st port of call

Thanks

04 1.8 Reversing light - clewsy01
the reversing light connector is located at the front of the cars gear box. Its a blackwire sticking out near the clutch and actually plugs straignt in. If you jack up the front and look underneath you cannot miss it. I would clean it up and use some WD40 on the connectors. they could just be dirty. It often happens as a lot of spray can get to the area.

Edited by clewsy01 on 07/02/2009 at 22:10

04 1.8 Reversing light - mikej
I had problems with the bulb contacts on my rear fog light which caused it to only work intermittently, until I cleaned them up with some fine sandpaper and a small file.

Have you tried taking the reversing light apart to check the contacts ?
04 1.8 Reversing light - AlastairW
The bulb kept popping out of mine - a new holder fixed it. The same problem arose with the rear fog lamp as well.
04 1.8 Reversing light - MB Scotland
I had the same problem with my Focus, but when i took the bulb out to check it, I found the reverse light bulb, fitting etc to be full of water. I had to remove the fitting then empty the water out of it.

On the back of the fitting there is a small yellow rubber "breather hose" which is there to stop condensation building up, this hose was chocked with dirt, therefore alowing water to build up inside the fitting (well thats my theory anyway).