What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
00 1.8 Alternator Problems? - oGunnerso
Hi all,
I bought my car last year, Ford focus 1.8 zetec V plate and everything was well until one day i lost all power, all lights went off, engine stopped so i called AA out and they said alternator had gone. I took it to a garage and got a new one in and everything seemed well, seemed been the right word. I got it home and it run ok like before, the next morning it started up first time as per but 1/2 mile down road i pulled up at a junction and stopped in traffic and the rev needle went straight upto 4k 5k 6k revs to point i had to turn engine off, it did this all the time so i took it back to garage and they had it for day and it come bk on except the inside light when door opens was flickering and all the dash lights flicker barring when i got foot on accelorator, if i put window heaters on it dips the lights n dash, i was told it was a faulty alternator but i took it back n they said its fine but it just pasted mot and now when i press break pedal my front side lights come on, i know thats earth problem but when start now? how do i find out if i got right alternator in the car. Sometimes the battery light comes on and off wwhile driving and a couple of times it stall but starts straight away but then the speedo doesnt wok but rev counter n everything else do then after a few miles the speedo just starts working again. Sorry for long story but this is doing my head in and any advise is gratefully received.
Thank you
00 1.8 Alternator Problems? - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Check the earth wire from the battery to the engine and chassis
00 1.8 Alternator Problems? - pictor
i seem to be having similar problems with my 2002 1.8 focus zetec. Did you find the problem?

originally, my car would loose power for a split second and the speedo would drop to 0 (normally on the motorway 70mph).
Then, the speedo started not to work, (rested at 0) for a few minutes, but the car would drive Ok, then the speedo would spring back to life (all the other lights and guages were OK)
then, in the past week, on 2 occasions, the battery light has come on, speedo fallen to zeor and power steering failed for a second (while driving about 20mph).
Finally, the car has now cut out once while driving (about 20mph)

Any advice?
00 1.8 Alternator Problems? - mikej
pictor - sounds like your vehicle speed sensor (vss) might need replacing.

See this thread further down for more info :
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=79...7