What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
1999 1.8 Stalling and speedo problems - jaypymer
Hi
I am at my wits end. When I start engine all dials go up to maximum then settle, car drives ok (although sometimes revs high for mile or so ) then at any time speedo stops working and when slowing down car will stop- it will start straight away with no problem but can be dangerous as loose power steering etc. Have had diagnostic check twice but no faults coming up!!! Can anyone give any clues as its costing a lot of money with no results
1999 1.8 Stalling and speedo problems - mikej
It's hard to tell whether your problems are all related or separate issues - here are a few pointers to get you started (from an ex-1999 1.8i owner !):

A dodgy battery can cause the needles to do a full sweep on start-up, so it might be worth getting that checked.

Speedo stopping working could be the vehicle speed sensor (speedo drops to zero when driving, with occasional loss of odometer reading and/or total loss of power)

Car cutting out when slowing could be the idle control valve or vacuum hoses : uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=2007040813...R
1999 1.8 Stalling and speedo problems - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Vehicle speed sensor is likely culprit. These can be a nightmare to change so get Ford to give you a written quote and get them to fight with it. The sensor and its steel retaining pin gets locked into the alloy differential housing due to corrosion.
The needle sweep is indicative of a failing battery or poor earth from battery to body.
1999 1.8 Stalling and speedo problems - jaypymer
Thanks for that am going to try battery first although have been told it ok. If it is vss shouldnt that have come up on diagnostic check ? Will have to use process of elimination .
1999 1.8 Stalling and speedo problems - steve wirral
I have a c-max 1800. 56 plate, and it will not hold on the clutch at lights/flat road or on a incline. The rev counter goes haywire the battery light flickers and when you try to compensate by pushing the accelerator it cuts out! and alot worse when its raining? some one going to run into the back before long. Had it back to ford garage 3times they say cannot find any fault. thanks steve.
1999 1.8 Stalling and speedo problems - clewsy01
yeah defo speed sensor. i did mine it was a pain, but you can do it yourself if you have a little bit of know how. jack up the car take off the driver side wheel and wheel liner. The speed sensor is on the back of the gearbox, nearly straight under the starter motor. Spray the pin with WD 40. if it is tight it may help to leave it a while. after that the speed sensor should just pull away from the hole. (some times if you remove the airfilter pipe on top of the engine you can reach it from the top) re-lube the o rings and drop it in and put the bin back in. remember to note how the sensor is removed so that it goes back exactly where it should. it took me about 45mins to do it and the sensor cost 28.99 from jennings ford. At a garage it could cost up to £100+
1999 1.8 Stalling and speedo problems - steve wirral
Cheers Clewsy01, i will give it ago. Thanks Steve.
1999 1.8 Stalling and speedo problems - mikej
If you're going to DIY the vss, then my post on this thread may be useful :

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=15028&...3

In my case, getting the retaining pin out was the hard part and the sensor itself came out fairly easily. I had to resort to brute force to get my pin out, but I have read about people using heat guns to heat the surrounding area which apparently helps.

I've also read one or two reports of the sensor snapping in half and dropping into the gearbox, so be careful !