What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
03 1.8D Speedo Failure - Armitage Shanks {p}
Colleague at work has a Focus on which the speedo was intermittent and has now failed. No speed indication nor trip and overall mileage recording. Might this be a connection to be checked? Can the speedo be replaced as a unit or is it part of a very expensive instrument 'cluster' which has to be replaced as one large, multi-funcltion unit
03 1.8D Speedo Failure - elekie&a/c doctor
More likely to be a speed sensor fault in the gearbox or wiring to it.hth
03 1.8D Speedo Failure - rtj70
What happens when the instruments put into diagnostic mode? On the Mondeo you pushed in the trip reset button and held it while the ignition was switched on if my memory serves me. You then pushed the reset button to advance through the various tests.

This might prove it's the instruments or something else.
03 1.8D Speedo Failure - Carse
Armitage,

I recall something on Watchdog related to Focus instrument clusters where the PCB (ribbon) I think fails. Ford initially refused to do anything but I think they related and now replace or repair free of charge. I suggest you friend contacts Ford worth trying to find the info from the Watchdog web page before contacting them though

Carse
03 1.8D Speedo Failure - Carse
Just found the following

A few months later the Speedo decided to join in, again doesn't occur all the time only occasionally. The odometer has zerod out a couple of times as well but comes back.

Well I rang Ford yesterday 15 minutes on hold, they take your details and Ford should call you back. You have to take it to a Ford dealer for a diagnostic check (which from what i've read on other boards you have to pay for) and then IF its identified as exactly the same fault as mentioned on watchdog they will offer you the £99 deal. If they can't find a fault, which in my case, being occasional, and again from many other boards the diagnostic doesn't always pick it up apparently, you'll be out of pocket for the diagnostic check and no £99 deal.

Not quite as easy as watchdog are making out!
Nice one Ford, I won't be buying a Ford again.

Have been into local Ford dealers today to book my car in for replacement instrument cluster, under the £99 deal, Asked to see the Service Manager regarding being charged for a diagnostic check, and was told they are not charging for this, just the £99 for replacement. Mine is intermittant also but they are still going to replace it.
Would advise you to go back to your dealer and ask for the Service Manager.

Just search for focus instrument cluster watchdog on google and there are many entries to follow

Carse
03 1.8D Speedo Failure - Armitage Shanks {p}
Many thanks for the replies so far. I am offline for a week but my colleague will be watching for answers
03 1.8D Speedo Failure - mikej
The vehicle speed sensor (vss) should definitely be a suspect, although most people (including myself) seem to find they fail intermittently first, rather than suddenly.

There are plenty of posts on the vss on this forum, so try a search.

Be aware that a failed vss can also lead to a total loss of power (making steering and braking extremely difficult) so I'd get it looked at ASAP just in case.
03 1.8D Speedo Failure - wozzatdci
This happened to me last year. It was 'invisible' corrosion on the circuit board on the back of the display. Its a bit of a fiddly job, but rather than buy a new one (of which they are in short supply) and pay for it to be fitted and then have the incorrect mileage on the odometer, I took mine apart after some reseach on the internet and found its not that bad. You have to take the needles off and the front and back covers. When you have the board out, go to Maplins and buy a can of Circuit Board Cleaner spray (£3-ish) and spray liberally on the front and back of the circuit board. Leave to dry for a few mins. Reassemble the unit. Hey-presto it worked for me!! Before you spend money on a new one try this I was amazed it worked but had heard of other success stories. Good luck.
03 1.8D Speedo Failure - ohi46
I have also had this problem both speedo and tacho would drop to zero then jump back to correct settings,also all lights would stay on then it would reset itself, gradually got worse untill it packed up,i stripped the clocks down which is pretty easy,the back comes off by removing two screws,before you pull the hands off the dials turn them too thier anticlockwise stop and mark thier position so you can ensure correct refitting,i used meths and an old toothbrush to clean the corrosion off the board,then gently wiped with a soft cloth,this fix has been working for a couple weeks and the clocks are perfect