What is life like with your car? Let us know and win £500 in John Lewis vouchers | No thanks
2.2 Diesel - what is a closed DPF system? - godwinr
I'm looking for a replacement for my 2004 Honda CRV petrol and like the new Mazda 6. Mazda like several other manufactures ( new Honda Accord, new Toyota Avensis ) appear to be generally limiting their higher spec models to diesel engines only presumably to satisfy Company car drivers. I understand that the new Mazda 2.2 diesel is a closed DPF system. What is a closed DPF system and will it be better for longativity?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 28/01/2009 at 18:50

2.2 Diesel - what is a closed DPF system? - craig-pd130

I believe it's just Mazda terminology for a self-managing system that doesn't use an additive.

In the FAQs up at the top of the page there are some technical bulletins from VW and Vauxhall which explain how latest generation DPF systems work (or at least, are SUPPOSED to work).

Most cars these days use a catalyst-coated DPF matrix which traps the exhaust soot and "cokes" it when the exhaust gas temperature is high enough (usually when the engine is fully warm and is running at 2,000ish rpm for a period of time). The ECU can trigger this process by injecting extra diesel, which ignites in the hot DPF.

Unlike earlier systems in Peugeots / Citroens, these systems do not require a special additive.