petrol or diesel? - Nomag
SWMBOs Octavia comes to the end of its lease this year and she won't qualify for another lease vehicle. So it's time to spend our own hard earned on the main family car.

We have a growing family and after much debating think an S-Max will suit us best. I didn't really want to move up from an estate but having looked around at supposedly larger estates they don't seem to offer us much over the Octavia.

The question I am pondering is whether to go diesel or petrol. Our annual mileage in the vehicle will be around 15k, short journeys urban in the week, with regular long stints on the motorway at the weekends. We also have to tow our 1325kg caravan about 10 times a year.

We have had diesels for a while, but with all the DPF, DMF etc debate I'm not sure it's worth it. In the S-Max, the 2.0 diesel would suffice but I would really like the 2.2 for a bit more shove especially towing. However, while there are plenty of 2.0's on the used market, there are very few 2.2s and they are very highly priced. Alternatively, I could get a 2.5T petrol, which seems to be priced a couple of grand below the 2.0 diesel for similar spec. My questions are as follows:

1. How will the costs stack up over four years use (buying used)
2. How will the performance of the 2.5T compare to the 2.0 and 2.2 diesels?
3. What is the reliabiliity of this 5 cyl unit like - I know it's proven but how would it compare to the diesels?

Your thoughts appreciated.
petrol or diesel? - ifithelps
At current prices, diesel fuel over a year is about £200 less than petrol.

Secondhand diesels, particularly bigger cars, tend to fetch a premium, so over four/five years the costs may be about equal.

I like the grunt of a diesel and presumably they are reckoned to be good for towing.

Don't hear so many complaints about dual mass flywheels as we used to.

As regards diesel particulate filters, I haven't seen much evidence of Ford ones failing.

Posters to a thread on here a few days ago reported no problems with their Ford DPFs.

Seems to me they are a waste of space because they use more fuel and soak up power, but that's not the same as causing the car to break down.

petrol or diesel? - Nomag
thanks if, anyone else have any experience of the 2.5 or 2.0/2.2 diesel?
petrol or diesel? - reevsie
2.5 t petrol lump is well proven but very thirsty. Expect low to mid 20 mpg and if you chip it (like my friend did on his s-max to 270bhp) then 18-20 mpg. Its a shame because the thirst is putting me off buying one because it must be a hoot to drive with that much power.
petrol or diesel? - DP
The 2.5T is from the latest generation of Volvo's long running turbocharged 5 pot (T5) engine family. It makes 300 bhp in the Volvo S60R, and has still proven itself capable of starship mileage, so at 217 bhp it really isn't breaking a sweat.
I'm not actually aware of any weaknesses in these units. If Volvo do one thing well it's over-engineering. It will however guzzle fuel.

Cheers
DP
petrol or diesel? - Alby Back
Mentioned before that I keep a close eye on these things.

A pause for thought. I did 556 miles in my 2.0 diesel Mondeo on Wednesday. Full to the brim when I set off and fairly much empty on my return. Hard day out fully laden. Filled up on my return at a cost of £55.70. In other words a fuel cost of 10.01p per mile.

Did exactly 400 miles yesterday in my 2.2 petrol Signum including some hacking across central London. Same scenario, Full when I left and running low when I got home. Filled up with unleaded at the same petrol station at a cost of £41.70. Fuel cost of 10.4p per mile. Not a lot in it is there ?
petrol or diesel? - a900ss
DMF problems have affected the 1.8 diesel S-Maxes but not the 2.0 (my 1.8 was fine however)

Can I suggest that you pay a visit to www.smaxownersclub.co.uk where I'm sure you'll find lots of owners who tow and do a similar mileage to you.

FWIW, my 1.8 S-Max was a great car in the 55,000 miles and 18 months I had it. It also would average about 43/44MPG (true, not from the trip computer) and 50MPG if you took it steady.

Good Luck.

Edited by a900ss on 25/01/2009 at 14:34