no coolant in my engine over night - jimmy_jazz
hi honest john

I was doing a job on my car today with the tools i got for xmas. I had to change the coolant, change the thermostat and flush the matrix of my rover 75 cdt.

The problem was I started the job at 2pm and it was dark at 4:30pm and I'd not got around to refitting the heater matrix. So I've left the car on the drive with no anti-freeze in and it's just struck me what I've done.

Please anyone?
no coolant in my engine over night - mss1tw
If there is no coolant at all it will be fine won't it? The anti-freeze just makes sure the water doesn't turn to ice, expand, and crack the block.
yer but there's no anti freeze either
no coolant in my engine over night - Dynamic Dave
Can't see what the problem is. If you've drained the system, how can it freeze? Any residual liquid in the system will still be a mixture of coolant & water, so that won't freeze either.
sorry a shiver went down my spine when i realized and thought the worst

thanks for the explaining, I was stressing.
no coolant in my engine over night - zookeeper
you could of panicked and filled it with tap water, now that would be a problem
no coolant in my engine over night - mss1tw
Nothing worse than that 'Oh NO' moment is there!
too true, too true. im sure seven white stallions just gallopped down my spine.

oh well i'll sleep sound tonight then get up early to finish the job tomorrow.
no coolant in my engine over night - gordonbennet
I'm not surprised you haven't refitted the heater matrix yet JJ, the last one of those i did far too recently on a Seat Toledo would have been finally refitted New Years Day.
A truly horrible job.

Unless you are one heck of a mechanic, is the matrix on a 75 an easy out job?

well it was an easy out.

pull off the carpeted panel, undo 2 screws and take off the pipe clamps then pull the unit out from behind the radio stack.

I flushed it out and pushed it back in but it was too dark to be fiddling with the pipes and screws so i bailed out.

I've seen a photo of a clio and the whole dash and everything was out.

JJ, i'm chafing at the bit here, its an unbelievably horrible job on the Seat, dismantled virtually the whole of the interior apart from the seats, and to change the rad you have to take the whole front of the car off including the bumper.

I'm pleased for you how easy that job is....he said between gritted teeth....the only good thing is that the Seat is my sons car and i wont be owning anything from that stable..ever again..;)

Just one question, being nosey really and a fan of the 75's, especially the V8 being RWD and rather tasty to boot.
How do you find the parts situation etc for your car, and the general reliability please?
no coolant in my engine over night - Alby Back
You've got an itch haven't you GB? M5s, Rover V8s, a passing nod to a Monaro.......

Won't be long I'll be bound.

Petrol quite cheap at the moment too, bargain cars to be had.

Do I detect a twitching of the wallet?

;-)

You've got an itch haven't you GB? M5s Rover V8s a passing nod to a

Its a fair cop Guv, you've got me bang to rights..

I really don't know Humph, i think the world of my MB coupe, but for some reason i've got that V8 bug in my system again, i'm definately not doing anything until March whatever i may see, most of the car factories are now on extended shutdown for weeks so anything could happen in my game, quite how i'm still here when half of the workforce has gone i haven't a clue (and i get told that quite often too)...;))

I'm really asking JJ out of interest as i delivered loads of 75's and a few V8's and i thought they were lovely cars, so different to the standard German and Swedish fare of the time.

If i change my car and that may well be a tearful experience, she really is beautiful, it will probably be replaced by a BMW as my venerable MB indy is quite happy to work on his known customers cars, i'm not the only MB owner to go to the dark side...ooerr missus..;)
I did fancy a Legacy 3.0R but my indy wouldn't touch it, and i'm wary of searching out new experts.
Trouble with later MB's as we all know is the dreaded rust and i really can't fund an E55 post 04 (galvanised from 04 on)
Much pondering to do....;)
no coolant in my engine over night - ifithelps
I helped a trained mechanic do a heater matrix on a mid-1970s Jag XJ6.

The dashboard had to be pulled back about two feet - lost count of the number of screws and electrical connectors to be undone.

We had the workshop manual, but it was that long and complicated we soon put that to one side and just "winged" it.

Job went OK, if I recall, just took a long time.
hi gordonbennet,

as you can see im up nice and early to finish my job. Well the thermostat being in a stupid position evens it up with the seat. an engine mount might have to be taken out.

I do 600 miles a week for the last 4 years, and only once has it let me down when the clutch went to the floor on the motorway. However I'd been aware of the engine surging for about a month before so I should of got it checked out.

Well a lot has been said about the parts situation, I get most of my new parts from www.rimmerbros.co.uk and they deliver really fast.

an important purchase was the rover electronic parts catalog I got this from ebay.
eg. a stupid passenger broke the electric seat button. I searched the cd for seat and found the seat switch pack number and ordered it from rimmer. Much faster than emailing them.

lots of the service items are bmw. The thermostat Im putting in today has the bmw badge and made in austria on it. and landrover use identical parts aswell they have the same part number with a L at the end lol.

It's a nice car and the interior is beautiful, woman always go "ooooh nice jag"
I think you should treat yourself.
Thanks JJ, i've liked them ever since i first sat in one, tbh i prefer the look of the first model over the facelift, but beauty is in the eye etc.

Appreciate the info about Rimmer Bros, they of the stainless exhaust manufacturing i assume.

Hope you're not too shattered after your early start this lunchtime, and trust the car goes back together well..;)
yes its all done now. I now have a warm cabin after months of freezin my toes off.

I agree the twin rounded headlights looks best. I don't think they made a v8 with this front end.

the twin headlight xenon looks the best as it looks more evil lol

cheers for all the help

yes its all done now. I now have a warm cabin after months of freezin
my toes off.

Well done that man, and following your earlier gem about the fairer sex seeming to like the luxurious cosy interiors of those 75's, SWMBO has just enquired if i like hospital food.....so thanks for that JJ..;)

I must say i'm impressed just how quick you've got that job done, and on your jack too.
Still you did start at the crack of dawn...1145am..;)

Edited by gordonbennet on 30/12/2008 at 19:53

im sure if you turned up at her work to give her a lift home in a 75 with the piped and heater leather violence would be the last thing on her mind ;0

uk.youtube.com/watch?v=uPRUi4oYp28

ive got the same alloys on mine
no coolant in my engine over night - quizman
Are you trying to say that a Rover 75 is a bird puller?

Or are you saying it is a old boiler puller?
well when you say to someone in the pub you drive a rover 75 it doesn't hold much kudos.
but everyone who see's it or actually gets in is well impressed.
particularly people who don't know what sort of car it is.
I enjoyed that link JJ, thankyou.

It was the possibility that ''wimmin'' may find the interior particularly attractive that caused swmbo to put the brakes on, she always liked them and the way they drove anyway.;)

Edit, i'm glad i didn't say what quizman did, and i deny all association with him..;)
you're on your own matey....

Edited by gordonbennet on 31/12/2008 at 16:41