04 1.8 Oil level and brake disk wear - stevek
Sounds silly but how do you check the oil level? If I leave the car overnight and check the dipstick then the oil level is barely on the dipstick. If However I reinsert the dipstick at that point I get the correct measure. How can that be? Engine is the 1.8 petrol.

On another topic does anyone know the minimum thickness of the disks please?
04 1.8 Oil level and brake disk wear - piston power
When the engine was running the level on the dipstick will be low if there at all, but when switched off the air in the tube were the dipstick sits stops it from rising.

When you pull the dipstick out air expell's it will rise so you get the correct level next time you try.

The brake discs limit's are in the haynes manual.
04 1.8 Oil level and brake disk wear - jc2
Brake disc minimum thickness is usually stamped onto disc-between the hub and the braking surface-can't help with oil level other than to check as recommended in manual-the outer tube stops at block level and does not go into the sump.

Edited by jc2 on 24/12/2008 at 15:24

04 1.8 Oil level and brake disk wear - Chris M
I think you will find the end of the dipstick isn't in the tube. The tube just guides it into the sump.
04 1.8 Oil level and brake disk wear - Armitage Shanks {p}
bigT is spot on. There was a service bulletin for SAABs on how to dip the oil which explained just this. If you extract the dipstick and take a reading and then put it back in and take another the sump seem to have self filled between the readings. It is just the air trapped in the tube, keeping the level down, until you take out the dipstick and try again. The dipstick reads the level in the tube it is sits in and not the level in the sump, until the dipstick is removed when they equalise.
04 1.8 Oil level and brake disk wear - zookeeper
On another topic does anyone know the minimum thickness of the disks please?

if you intend measuring them , about 1 millimetre from original should be enough
04 1.8 Oil level and brake disk wear - piston power
As a rough guide on your second set of pads replace discs at your third set.
04 1.8 Oil level and brake disk wear - stevek
Thank you all for your useful comments.