06 2 Electronic Handbrake Towing issues - CaptMac
Hi there, I'm a new member with an issue regarding the Electronic hand brake on my C-Max.
I've recently had the Alternator go which has then cause the battery to die and after taking it to a very unhelpful garage (no courtesy car and a 1 MONTH window for fixing it) I'm going to be forced to jump start it and drive it back to the other ford dealer, where I brought it, so I can have a car during Christmas.

Problem is I'm worried about the Electronic handbrake engaging at some point and leaving me static in the middle of the road (it comes on when the engine turns off).

Is there any way to disable the Electronic Handbrake so i can just rely on using the foot brake for the journey?

CM

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 24/12/2008 at 10:16

06 2 Electronic Handbrake Towing issues - injection doc
You may not be able to apply or remove the Electric Parking Brake if there is a cut in the power supply or flat battery, failure of the alternator or vehicle electronics.

In the case of a cut in the power supply, the ignition warning light will illuminate in the cluster and LIMITED EPB (!) FUNCTION will appear in the Message Centre display. Have the system checked by an expert.

The electric parking brake can be released manually

Emergency Parking Brake release.

If the Electronic Parking Brake is not functioning it can be released manually.

! Operate the emergency release only if the vehicle is secured against rolling away.

Open the upper level of the centre console and then raise the second level of the console.

Hook up the floor of the centre console with a screw driver.

Unclip the Release ?T? handle from its resting place on the floor of the vehicle.

Pull the ?T? handle upwards until a noise is heard.

The parking brake is now released.

06 2 Electronic Handbrake Towing issues - Chris M
A friend had to wait for over a week for Ford to obtain a new alternator for her C Max. That was two weeks ago. "There are none in the country" she was told.
06 2 Electronic Handbrake Towing issues - Ben 10
If you do not want to fiddle with releasing the brake. And you are not in a recovery service, then have a friend follow you with some jump leads.
I had the same problem, but luckily I had the RAC tow me to a Ford garage.
06 2 Electronic Handbrake Towing issues - greasyant
My drama :)

I have a C-Max 05

I had the same Limited(EPB) Function message on Tuesday of last week. On my drive home the car stalled and would not start so I called the RAC. They advised it was the Alternator, and gave me a tow home. We dropped the car to the Ford garage and advised the cost would be 220 for the Alternator and I gave them the go ahead to order the part via the telephone and then they would check the Battery after the Alternator fair enough I thought. I called again and the garage advised the battery was fine, and advised the car was ready for collection. The total bill was for 220 which I went to pay. Upon my arrival I was presented with a bill of 362. I thought it was for the battery, but it was not. The 75 fee was basically to reset the on-board computer, which there was no mention of during any of the 5 conversations with the garage. I was astonished, and I asked to speak to the service manager but he had left for the evening. I advised I would on pay the original change and sort it out with the manager.

My questions are

Has anyone else received this change?

and should the Aleternator on a 05 plate with 55 K milage need to be replaced?.
Cheers
06 2 Electronic Handbrake Towing issues - L'escargot
greasyant, the individual figures you mention don't add up to £362. Could you itemise the final bill for us?

Edited by L'escargot on 19/01/2009 at 09:31

06 2 Electronic Handbrake Towing issues - Ben 10
Answer to your second question. Yes.
I had an 05 2.0l TDCI Ghia. The alternator packed in just over the three year warranty. Only done 40K miles.
According to RAC a common problem on newer Ford models. Has very little protection from elements,dirt and grease. My wifes Focus had a new alternator replaced two years in and with less than 20K on the clock.